Russian makes suicide attempt at Pattaya police station

Thaivisa News

Pattaya, Chon Buri:- A Russian tourist was rescued when he hanged himself inside the detention room of the Pattaya police station late Saturday night.

Police alerted the Sawang Boribun Pattaya Foundation at 11 pm to help the Russian after officers have already untied him and brought him down to the floor and provided first aid treatment.

The Russian was unidentified as he carried no travelling documents. He appeared to be about 30 to 40 years old.

Police said the man was taken to be detained at the police station without being charged at 5 pm Saturday because he was drunk and caused nuisance to others.

Police wanted the man to come to himself before he would be released but he was spotted hanging himself at 11 pm.

He was rushed to the Bang Lamung Hospital. Police have yet to question him why he wanted to take his own life.

Several incidents of farang tourists getting drunk and committing suicide or making suicide attempts have been reported in Thailand.

For example in October last year, a foreign tourist drank beer and cut his wrists before he walked into the Pattaya sea. His body was later washed ashore.

In December last year, a Russian woman tried to jump down from the Fuse Mobius condominium in Bangkok’s Bang Kapi district. Officials spent about an hour to talk to her to change her mind.

In October last year, A 28-year-old Russian tourist cut his own throat with a razor while visiting Uthai Thani. Fortunately, he was rushed to a hospital in time and was saved.

Before the breakdown of the USSR the sharp contrast between life at home and life in a holiday resort abroad could only be imagined. Now they see the reality and maybe life at home doesn't look too good. The worrying thing about so many Russians is that they look to the bottom of a vodka bottle for a solution to life's problems.

• Like 2

Russian attempts suicide at Pattaya Police Station Holding Cells

jail-11.jpg

PATTAYA: -- Medics were called to Pattaya Police Station on Saturday night after the Custody Sergeant found a Russian inmate hanging from a noose in his cell.

The Russian, whose name is unknown and is thought to be aged in his Thirties, was cut down from the noose just in time. Although unconscious he was breathing and rushed to Hospital for emergency treatment.

The man was booked-into Custody at 5pm on Saturday after he was arrested due to public intoxication and other public order offences. It was decided to place him in the cells at Pattaya Police Station until he was sober enough to be questioned.

Although a relatively minor offence which may have seen him receive just a fine, at 11pm the man was discovered hanging from a noose in his cell.

Full story: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/176471/russian-attempts-suicide-at-pattaya-police-station-holding-cells/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2015-03-16

So where on earth did he get the item to make the noose and why are there facilities in the cell to attach a noose? An extraordinary lack of duty of care, aren't people in custody monitored continuously?

• Like 1

So where on earth did he get the item to make the noose and why are there facilities in the cell to attach a noose? An extraordinary lack of duty of care, aren't people in custody monitored continuously?

About three years ago my youngest son killed himself in a police-cell in Chaweng, Samui.. He was monitored because he displayed very restless behaviour, but the officer on duty left the area for god knows what reason and although he was monitored, nobody was there to watch the monitor. When the officer left my son used a towel to make a nose.. They tried to resuscitate him for an hour, alas, he didn't make it. He was only 28 years young.. Leaving behind a son of three....Why he did it? Nobody really knows, he was detained for possession of a small doses marijuana, really no big deal...

Edited by SamuiAxe

About three years ago my youngest son killed himself in a police-cell in Chaweng, Samui.. He was monitored because he displayed very restless behaviour, but the officer on duty left the area for god knows what reason and although he was monitored, nobody was there to watch the monitor. When the officer left my son used a towel to make a nose.. They tried to resuscitate him for an hour, alas, he didn't make it. He was only 28 years young.. Leaving behind a son of three....Why he did it? Nobody really knows, he was detained for possession of a small doses marijuana, really no big deal...

Sorry to hear of your loss. Is there anywhere or anything people can do over here when they are feeling desperate?

• Like 1

Thought of returning to Russia with all them empty shelves and Putin's bully boys everywhere too much to bare???

i was in Moscow end of january and saw full shelves.

I have been told by several people who have spoken to Russians in Pattaya that most of them come from the east of the Russian Federation. It would be interesting to know what the shelves look like there, although it's possible that the mention of "empty shelves" was intended to illustrate the idea that there is "adequate" for some and only "little" for many more.

Nevertheless, I think that Basil B was making a valid point, one could be forgiven for thinking that deprivation and brutalisation, in one form or another, seems to have been the default setting for the ordinary Russian people for nearly a 1000 years.

It's not surprising that surveys (for what they are worth) consistently show Russians to be possibly the unhappiest people on earth.

While I was waiting to pay for my entry visa to Laos a Russian lady standing next to me said that as a Russian she was exempt from the fee. Her words were "See, there is one good thing about being a Russian".

are you seriously asking?

• Like 1

I am very sorry to read about what happened to your son. sad.png

look at the cells in the background. the horizontal bar just below the top, adequate for purpose. shirt, pants are easily fashioned to tie around the throat. voila, a hanging russian.

actually drunks around the world waking up in their stupor, attempt or succeed suicide.

nothing new, nothing to see, move along please

Why move along chooka? This is a serious problem... when someone feels desperate enough to take their own life then there needs to be a place, phone number or whatever so they can talk it through, I have asked now 3 times on this forum (because of many separate suicides), what someone can do, with no reply... and your answer dismisses this persons death like he was a piece of garbage, and deserves to be dumped on a garbage heap. You don't know him or his problems.

Don't blame that one on chooka. It was another member replying to chooka's post.

look at the cells in the background. the horizontal bar just below the top, adequate for purpose. shirt, pants are easily fashioned to tie around the throat. voila, a hanging russian.

actually drunks around the world waking up in their stupor, attempt or succeed suicide.

Why move along chooka? This is a serious problem... when someone feels desperate enough to take their own life then there needs to be a place, phone number or whatever so they can talk it through, I have asked now 3 times on this forum (because of many separate suicides), what someone can do, with no reply... and your answer dismisses this persons death like he was a piece of garbage, and deserves to be dumped on a garbage heap. You don't know him or his problems.

Don't blame that one on chooka. It was another member replying to chooka's post.

Yes, sorry chooka, I see I made a mistake with all the names in that post.

I wasn't judging the guy or criticising him. I agree with your comments and my post was aimed at the authorities who has a duty of care for the guy.
  • Like 1

I wasn't judging the guy or criticising him. I agree with your comments and my post was aimed at the authorities who has a duty of care for the guy.

I did get a reply on where help is available, it's the Bangkok Samaritans... Let's hope it works in the future. Once again sorry, I misread who sent the "let's move along" post.

Sorry to hear of your loss. Is there anywhere or anything people can do over here when they are feeling desperate?

There are different possibilities, counselars, psychiatrists, mediators......just Google, but that's easier said than done.

People in a desperate state usually do have other things on their mind, but most important is the people close to a desperate person. They usually notice abnormal behavior and they should act..........unfortunately the Thai people close to a desperate person prefer to mind their own business, especially if the desperate person is a farang.

The "funny" thing about the newspaper article is, that at first they are talking about high foreigner-suicide numbers and then they give us just examples of Russian attempts.

The Russians........I know quite a few and they can roughly be divided in 2 groups........as arrogant as hell OR forced humble because of the very low self-esteem they're suffering from.

Anyway....whatever eason lies behind this case.....we'll never know....it's sad