How does anyone manage to have a car during a couple months' stay?

cnbiz850

You might be able to get a good deal arranging it online from your own country. Many German speakers use billiger-mietwagen.de. There must be similar English language sites, which act as a middleman between the customer and the local rental firms, and quote surprisingly low rates.

Rent one.

I take that you mean rent one by the month rather than by the day. Any idea on cost savings for longer term rental?

It depends on what kind of car you want, petrol, diesel, LPG. Small car, medium car, limousine, pick up truck, SUV, minibus, manual or automatic? Do you want a quality rental company or a cheap charlie type?

Without any information at all the answer is how long is a piece of green string.

• Like 1

You can rent from the airport or in what ever place you are going, it helps to have international drivers license

An international drivers licence would be considered to be fake.

They will accept international drivers permits though.

I live in Chiang Mai 7 months out of the year. We have a two story three bedroom house. We park our car in the carport and cover it up with a plastic cover. Lock the house up and the gate, and we are gone for 5 months. The yard gets a bit over-grown, but 3-thousand baht given to a neighbor takes care of things. I've been doing this now for five years.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What's the difference? I use a UK International Driving licence, which they have always accepted, if accopanied with my UK licence.

You can rent from the airport or in what ever place you are going, it helps to have international drivers license

Definitely not a good idea in any medium to large city or going to same.

I have a full time driver with an ok car---- he is called a taxi man and his car is a taxi; he is seldom the very same man, but they all work same.

Visitors are really asking for headaches getting their own car or renting one. .... driving, driving directions, fuel, insurance, OTHER DRIVERS, traffic frustration, getting lost, and then there are the problems of parking and of dealing with a fender bender or worse.

If taxis were rare, ok that is different. If you plan to live very remotely, get a local taxi phone number and call on him or his friends when few taxis seem to be around. OTHERWISE, FORGET YOUR OWN CAR ! No kidding wai.gif

I live in Chiang Mai 7 months out of the year. We have a two story three bedroom house. We park our car in the carport and cover it up with a plastic cover. Lock the house up and the gate, and we are gone for 5 months. The yard gets a bit over-grown, but 3-thousand baht given to a neighbor takes care of things. I've been doing this now for five years.

This relates to the OP how? Confused on this? blink.png

• Like 2

It doesn't. ....but what a great way to tell everyone that he only pays 3000 baht for someone to take care of his house and car for 5 months....Thanks for the info...we're all better off now that we know.

Thai Visa seems to be turning into a cross between Trip Advisor and Lonely Planet- a glorified travel agent for newbies planning their trips to this enchanting country.

There is this wonderful, awesome ( hate that word) , fabulous, extraordinary creation called the internet which will give you all the information ( invented by a Brit of course )

Thai Visa is all about the price of breakfasts, the antics of Costas- not a bloody travel agent.

did you forget your nap or do you just have problems.

You can check all the major rental companies for monthly rates which are much better than weekly or daily levels. Use the Thailand websites for Hertz, Avis and Budget rather than their international or western websites as the rates are better and have English webpages. If you are renting in the tourist areas there are various local rentals who have good insurance programs, etc. which also do monthly rates similar to the major firms. As noted by others it is best to have international license. While rental companies will rent to you with a western license if you are stopped it may not be sufficient and international licenses are acceptable.

Thai Visa seems to be turning into a cross between Trip Advisor and Lonely Planet- a glorified travel agent for newbies planning their trips to this enchanting country.

There is this wonderful, awesome ( hate that word) , fabulous, extraordinary creation called the internet which will give you all the information ( invented by a Brit of course )

Thai Visa is all about the price of breakfasts, the antics of Costas- not a bloody travel agent.

I googled Thailand Travel Forum and Thai Visa popped up.

• Like 1

It doesn't. ....but what a great way to tell everyone that he only pays 3000 baht for someone to take care of his house and car for 5 months....Thanks for the info...we're all better off now that we know.

I wonder what the neighbor charges to rent Danny's car during that five months?

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I have a full time driver with an ok car---- he is called a taxi man and his car is a taxi; he is seldom the very same man, but they all work same.

Visitors are really asking for headaches getting their own car or renting one. .... driving, driving directions, fuel, insurance, OTHER DRIVERS, traffic frustration, getting lost, and then there are the problems of parking and of dealing with a fender bender or worse.

If taxis were rare, ok that is different. If you plan to live very remotely, get a local taxi phone number and call on him or his friends when few taxis seem to be around. OTHERWISE, FORGET YOUR OWN CAR ! No kidding wai.gif.pagespeed.ce.ptXUXgG4cAx1lGI2wn7 alt=wai.gif width=20 height=20>

I disagree. I always rent a car and when I lived there I bought a car. You have no idea if your taxi driver has any training, passed any test or is not an armed robber (unlikely) but having your own car is brilliant. No problem when it rains, no problem at driver change over, no problem when they don't want to go where you do. And out of Bangkok, driving in Thailand is a dream, empty roads, good roads and the weekly shop at Tesco Lotus is great, with own car. Driving in Bangkok is a doddle, a bit like Italy. But having driven overland from the UK to Nepal, Bangkok driving is no big deal. But that's me. I know people who wouldn't dream of driving in Bangkok. Having said all that, if where I want to go is near a Sky Train of Underground station, I will take the train.

I agree hire a car driving in Thailand is wonderful last time i was drove nearly 5000 kilometers, the only bit that was more of a challenge was Bangkok but even that was just like London in the rush hour, hire a car and explore

Well anyone can be snooty and awesomely condescending. I can use the internet with both hands or one-handed (joke) but getting actual experienced-based info is a nice additional ap.

Before I bought a car here, I used to rent all the time. I have rented from local companies and the international ones as well. I found that renting from Budget was the best all round deal for me.

The price was part of it, however, the main thing that I like about Budget was that they have offices / agents allover Thailand, so if you go off on a road trip back up is not a million miles away.

The local companies may be cheaper but sometimes their cars leave allot to be desired, also if they are a small operation you may not have the support that you want when travelling far from base.

Important, always make sure that you ask for number 1 insurance.

Regarding comments on driving license, I have only ever used my UK license and it has never been refused. I understand that a UK license is valid here for a year, providing you are on a tourist visa. Please beware this is information that you should check for yourself, I am not an expert, I am only saying what I believe to be true, it may be bull manure!!!

If taxis were rare, ok that is different. If you plan to live very remotely, get a local taxi phone number and call on him or his friends when few taxis seem to be around. OTHERWISE, FORGET YOUR OWN CAR ! No kidding wai.gif.pagespeed.ce.ptXUXgG4cAx1lGI2wn7 alt=wai.gif width=20 height=20>

I disagree. I always rent a car and when I lived there I bought a car. You have no idea if your taxi driver has any training, passed any test or is not an armed robber (unlikely) but having your own car is brilliant. No problem when it rains, no problem at driver change over, no problem when they don't want to go where you do. And out of Bangkok, driving in Thailand is a dream, empty roads, good roads and the weekly shop at Tesco Lotus is great, with own car. Driving in Bangkok is a doddle, a bit like Italy. But having driven overland from the UK to Nepal, Bangkok driving is no big deal. But that's me. I know people who wouldn't dream of driving in Bangkok. Having said all that, if where I want to go is near a Sky Train of Underground station, I will take the train.

I agree hire a car driving in Thailand is wonderful last time i was drove nearly 5000 kilometers, the only bit that was more of a challenge was Bangkok but even that was just like London in the rush hour, hire a car and explore

What's so challenging about sitting in a stationary car?