Thai Airways set to improve on-board food

webfact

Thai Airways set to improve on-board food

PNECO580318001000701_18032015_015229.jpg

BANGKOK, 18 March 2015 (NNT) – Thai Airways International is set to upgrade its on board food after comments about the taste from PM Prayut Chan-ocha.

Thai Airways has set up a special committee to supervise a revamp of its menu. According to the executive vice president of THAI's aviation-business unit, Anussorn Naksrichum, an assessment of each dish will be based on passenger feedback. Dishes found to be frequently chosen by passengers will remain on the menu, while unpopular ones will be discontinued.

Aside from food, Thai Airways has pledged to be more selective with fruit. It has signed an agreement with fruit processor Doi Kham, which will be a major supplier to the firm. The flag carrier is also planning to invite leading restaurants and hotels to offer their best-known dishes on selected flights.

Thai Airways is poised to upgrade its food from the existing three-star level to a five-star one within three months, with a view to increasing the number of customers by 10-20 percent and improving profit from the food catering business by 100 percent within the year.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-03-18 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

"Thai Airways is poised to upgrade its food from the existing three-star level to a five-star one within three months, with a view to increasing the number of customers by 10-20 percent and improving profit from the food catering business by 100 percent within the year."

How will they do that? Do they sell their food in outlets as well as serve it on planes?

• Like 2

That's pretty good news. To be fair, TG food is actually quite good.

Not in First or Business. TG is one of the few airlines now where premium class food is neither plated, nor garnished in the galley, and it shows. Food is often dried out and/or over cooked.

Glad to see someone is aware of the fruit issues. I had more than a few instances of rotten or poor quality fruit.

I just hope they emphasize the Thailand aspect in their menu.

Not in First or Business. TG is one of the few airlines now where premium class food is neither plated, nor garnished in the galley, and it shows. Food is often dried out and/or over cooked.

Glad to see someone is aware of the fruit issues. I had more than a few instances of rotten or poor quality fruit.

Never been in first so I can't comment on that but business and economy food has always been up to standard. People will inevitably compare TG to SIA and Cathay and other 5 star airlines which I think is unfair. But if you compare TG to other 3-4 star airlines like BA or EVA or Lufthansa among others, service and meals on TG is actually very good.

• Like 2

after comments about the taste from PM Prayut Chan-ocha.

And they really need his comment to acknowledge what thousands of customers complained about before?

To what extend is this stupid attitude of - wait for orders from upstairs and obey- part of their famous cryness?

Hi-so does not listen to Lo-so!

• Like 2

Generally food on board TG is good.

My current frustration is that I can't book a thru TG ticket for December to Chiang Rai ,as there are more problems with THai Smile (probably moving to DMK ) ,so being offered PG

Generally food on board TG is good.

Yeah! So they say in Somalia.

• Like 2

after comments about the taste from PM Prayut Chan-ocha.

And they really need his comment to acknowledge what thousands of customers complained about before?

To what extend is this stupid attitude of - wait for orders from upstairs and obey- part of their famous cryness?

So unless he complains about fares which is unlikely for obvious reasons they will not be revised to compete with other carriers ?

• Like 1

Never been in first so I can't comment on that but business and economy food has always been up to standard. People will inevitably compare TG to SIA and Cathay and other 5 star airlines which I think is unfair. But if you compare TG to other 3-4 star airlines like BA or EVA or Lufthansa among others, service and meals on TG is actually very good.

But the point you miss, or choose to ignore, is that Thai is charging higher fares than those higher rated airlines. The onboard food is adequate, the food in the lounge is disgusting , eg the same dreary white bread sweetcorn with mayo sandwiches and sugar crusted pastries they have been serving for the past 25 years ( with the relatively recent addition of some chicken tikka to coincide with evening departures for India).

It's possible to once in a blue moon, if there's a really special offer, to find an SQ or Cathay flight that's cheaper than TG but it's very unlikely. However, I will admit you can actually get cheaper flights on business on Cathay to LAX quite frequently. But forget about it for Europe and other Asian destinations. SQ flights especially are so damned expensive. I fly quite often mostly on Star Alliance and frankly, while TG isn't the best out there, I find it odd that people slam it when it's actually pretty good.

As for their lounge, I like their chicken pies and the hot soup noodles they have are okay. They may not be gourmet food but to say that it's disgusting is an exaggeration. It can get crowded at times but unfortunately it serves all Star Alliances passengers so it can't be helped.

Totally disagree! I use EVA a lot, and had the misfortune to have to use Thai last Sept. for a HKK-BKK trip.The plane was worn out, seats the smallest and most uncomfortable ever, and the food was rubbish. As I found out later this "service" was offered at the same price as the 5* airlines. Never again.

Edited by Seelow

I don't bother complaining, I just take my money elsewhere :-)

Best thing that could happen to Thai Airways is closure as may force other thai companies to review the way they do business, only reason they can't compete is because they greedy stupid & lazy .

gold frequent flyer of Thai,

next 2 trips to BKK I will use Austrian and AF ,

as protes to Thai on several occasions :

Food: economy is sometimes poor, upgrade 1 star, and when you see customers leave full dish,

than you know to kick out this menu and change it;

No taste - yes , many things steemed, only salt and pepper for improvement of taste available;

Varity to be change more times, not only every year !!

you fly 6 times a year, you feel always the same food;

Wine selection: in Business, usually 3 kind of white wine

a) Brand name looks expensive, quality is poor and most 1 of 3 is not available

( reserved for the captains cabine ?? )

Service: Went down in last years - special in Business, now more like economy - I mean the old honor ladys

which you get in Business and first class ;

They are tired already before they start to service;

On a 11 hr trip - they dissapear for almost 7 hrs !!

Before you had a free bar - now you must wake up the addendant in the kitchen to get some drink,

the promised snacks mostly you dont see,

( AUA, AF, KLM - I have them even in tourist 24 hrs )

with lagguage : no help !! they dissapear when they see you need a help !!

If you want nice stewardesses, you have to use any other airline, just not Thai !!

Pricing: 20% at least more expensive than any other airline, and service not better, some parts even worse;

Airline-booking-customer service:

as I mentioned before, I'm more than 12 years Thai Gold member, at this time I so pissed off, in difficulties with booking,

flight changes, award tickets availability -

that the next 2 flights to BKK I will not use Thai !!!!

Before 2 months I handed them over inthe service center Thai HQ a big poster with all my complaints,

No answer from Them:

Thai style: if you not accept me, if you not happy with me -- <deleted>... off !!

You been ever in Thai HQ reserv center ??

People moving there like they gonna to die !!!

And how many are there !!

And how many good and expensive shops and food court are there;

Who pays where in Thai 500,- thb for a kilo Apple ?? ( Thai Airw employee - no question ))

3 counters for Gold premiun customers, usually only 1 is open;

for a simple ticket change, I was there for more than 3 hours !!! ( outside of lunch time !!! )

for 1 customer used 3/4 of an hr, for the next one 1/2 hr, when my turn ,

she request a award seat from Boss - boss was out for lunch, more than 1 hr !!

when I got the award seat, she realiced, my date was not changable !! after 3 hrs;

For the availability of the seat see checked occupancy ;

8 guests on 28 seats , but on internet and counter they didnt give a free seat for Gold award !!

Similar happened 2 times more in recent time;

In Nepal I had do go 2 times to Thai city counter to change the Business class flight !

2 times 1/2 day lost !!

Oh poor little Prayuth doesn't like the 1st class food on his free flights. Give this bloody sooky wynning spoilt little rich kid a slap across the back of the head and tell him to eat his veggies. If he ever pays for it then he can cry.

• Like 2

I don't bother complaining, I just take my money elsewhere :-)

Best thing that could happen to Thai Airways is closure as may force other thai companies to review the way they do business, only reason they can't compete is because they greedy stupid & lazy .

They sell cheap tickets to tour operators for the long hall flights,

and take double or triple for the same seat from us !!

They already reduced several flights to europe,

other airlines increase flights;

And many Thais just think Thai,

and GVT dont worrie to buy First - and when first seated business class tickets for them to go abroad on studie other countries

and systems to improve GVT proceedings in Thai;

And dont forget all which fly free - cant name here, because of " Lease majestee laws "

I stopped using Thai airways and now prefer Singapore airlines ....

Thai airways food is ok ... although, the breakfast is not ok .. Singapore airlines food is much tastier and more variety

Thai airways service is just service .... other airlines are much more at-tentative and friendlier especially Singapore airline

Thai airways pricing is too high .... other choices are cheaper and of better overall standard.

All IMO.

wai2.gif

I guess you fly Singapore Airlines biggrin.png

"Thai Airways is poised to upgrade its food from the existing three-star level to a five-star one within three months, with a view to increasing the number of customers by 10-20 percent and improving profit from the food catering business by 100 percent within the year."

How will they do that? Do they sell their food in outlets as well as serve it on planes?

Yes, for example there's a TG-restaurant on the 2nd-floor (Thai 1st-floor) at my local airport CNX, and I also recall buying TG cakes/filled-rolls from a shop at the Thai ticketing-office in Phuket town, although that was about 15 years ago.

Both were over-priced and not-that-wonderful, like the airline itself ! rolleyes.gif

Gerry !

take a same price category of your ticket and than compare !!

Thai is 305 more expensive than other star alliance or AF, KLM , BA airlines !

You have to compare with SGP, Emirates and so !!

Never mind the food, they need to work on their pricing. Just did an Expedia search BKK to Washington Dulles round trip leaving next week and coming back in a week with one stop each way. Emirates, Ethiad, and Qatar ranged from around 45000 Baht to 50,000 Baht. THAI--99000 Baht. That, in a nutshell, is the problem.

Gerry !

take a same price category of your ticket and than compare !!

Thai is 305 more expensive than other star alliance or AF, KLM , BA airlines !

You have to compare with SGP, Emirates and so !!

Haven't flied KLM before but frankly BA and Air France sucks ass compared to TG. People who bitch and moan about Thai need a dose of BA to wake them up.

And seriously, try finding an SQ or Emirates ticket that's cheaper than TG. It's possible but very unlikely.