Why are motorbike taxis much more expensive in Pattaya than Bangkok?

infinity11

Never been to Pattaya but a year ago in Ratchada BKK I could get a short trip from one end of the street to the other for 10 or 15 Baht. A ride down 2 or 3 different streets to get to Big C was 25 Baht. Like I say that was a year ago and maybe prices have gone up but it does seem cheaper than Pattaya.

• Like 1

the point of saying "10baht tip"

, I am now back to saying for all my regular trips "30baht 10baht tip"

This is the first time in living here for 12+ years that I've heard of anyone tipping a motor cycle taxi or a TukTuk.

The fare should be agreed on before the journey.

. I always Tip, I'm a yank, and xbartender, always a Karma thing for me, I know I know... I'm screwing it up for everybody, I give a buck to bums , what can I do.
  • Like 1

are those board for BKK or Pattaya - I notice at the bottom it looks like it's saying 25baht up to 2km then 5baht each additional Km or similar

Looks like for Pattaya as they say " entrance to walking steet" and "Soi 15 walking street" taxi stands

2km then 5 baht per Km is correct then after 5 kM its upto driver and customer to agree a fare.

• Like 1

the point of saying "10baht tip", I am now back to saying for all my regular trips "30baht 10baht tip"

This is the first time in living here for 12+ years that I've heard of anyone tipping a motor cycle taxi or a TukTuk.

The fare should be agreed on before the journey.

well living here 10 years and my experience is different - go figure

the fare agreed a considerable time ago - these are repeat journeys possibly 3-4 times a week for years using the same taxi rank and mostly same guys - 30baht plus 10 baht tip = 40baht.....up to me

Even Thais don't do that much better than the farang rates. They complain about taxi fees a lot.

That's true. For instance, From Pattaya Central to Jomtien Beach it's 100 Baht, which is fair in my opinion. Often enough Thais pay 150 Baht for the same route. So, better negotiate up in front. On the flip side i don't understand why so many Thais don't use the Bahttaxis. Particular the ladys prefer the motorcycle taxis.

"For instance, From Pattaya Central to Jomtien Beach it's 100 Baht, which is fair in my opinion"

From Central Pattaya to Jomtien Immigrations on Soi 5 I've never been charged more than 50 baht. Shorter trips are relatively more expensive, but still reasonably priced.

I don't understand why so many of you need " Baht buses & Motorbike taxis " for just a short distance! You have lovely warm weather outside and any distance of at least 3 - 5 KM then just simply " WALK " ( i have often walked from Naklua to Jomtien ) With lovely weather,cool tunes and a few " visions of delight " to chat to en route why even consider the idea?

F.J wai.gif x

For comparison's sakes. I live 1/2 a km east of the railway road off Nern Pub Wan. Yes, the Darkside where tourists don't go and therefore life is a little more like the rest of non-tourist Thailand.

When I take a motocy taxi to the North Road bus station, the fare is 60 baht -- before the recent Big Block traffic screwup. When I lived 1.5 km closer to the bus station, off Soi Yume/Big C Extra, the fare was 60 baht, to or from the bus station. It was impossible to negotiate a lower fare. In fact, a couple of times the station taxi drivers wanted 80 baht to Big C Extra but I insisted, politely, it was 60 and they agreed.

So on the tourist side of Sukhumvit, you're paying quite a bit more to get around.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp
  • Like 1

Even Thais don't do that much better than the farang rates. They complain about taxi fees a lot.

That's true. For instance, From Pattaya Central to Jomtien Beach it's 100 Baht, which is fair in my opinion. Often enough Thais pay 150 Baht for the same route. So, better negotiate up in front. On the flip side i don't understand why so many Thais don't use the Bahttaxis. Particular the ladys prefer the motorcycle taxis.

And they look very cute back there.