Policeman to face charges for shooting motorcyclist

Thaivisa News

Bangkok: – A policeman in Chon Buri might have used excessive force to open fire and kill a motorcyclist who allegedly tried to evade a road checkpoint, police spokesman said.

Lt General Prawut Thavornsiri said Senior Sergeant Major Suphan Khamnit would be summoned and charged for multiple criminal violations, including murder.

The shooting incident happened on Saturday’s night at Nong Kham road checkpoint in Sri Racha district, Chon Buri.

A video clip of the incident was posted online, including the Drama-addict webpage. This prompted the outcry of police brutality.

The clip depicted motorcyclist Naret Boonsongsri, 40, falling off motorcycle and hit the ground with a pool of blood around his head after Suphan had opened fire from behind as he tried to ride away.

Naret sustained serious head injuries and was admitted for treatments at a Sri Racha hospital. The medical report said he had gunshot wound in the head.

He died on Monday. And his relatives submitted a request that the body should be sent for autopsy at the Central Institute of Forensic Science in Bangkok.

Pending the completion of the autopsy report, Sri Racha police have yet to open a formal investigation into the case.

In his initial statement given to police superiors, Suphan said he opened fire into the sky as a warning for the victim to stop fleeing.

The motorcycle apparently skidded and the victim sustained head injuries after he had hit the ground, he said.

Last night hundreds of motorcyclists rallied at Nong Kham police station demanding justice for the victim.

They have also threatened to hold another rally this Saturday if police failed to take action.

Chon Buri police chief Maj General Nittipong Niemnoy said Suphan would be targeted for criminal investigation if the autopsy report confirmed the victim died of gunshot fired by the policeman.

Based on some online comments, police supporters have speculated that the victim might have been shot at by a “third” and unidentified individual.

Sad fact is, Thai cops have so little firearms training, he probably was trying to fire into the sky.

So, make it manslaughter.

But pay attention newbies, don't ever flee from a Thai cop. This is not the first time a cop has fired at a driver refusing to stop, and it's not the first death. Since we never hear followup on stories like this, I have no idea if the cops were ever charged.

Sad fact is, Thai cops have so little firearms training, he probably was trying to fire into the sky.

But pay attention newbies, don't ever flee from a Thai cop. This is not the first time a cop has fired at a driver refusing to stop, and it's not the first death. Since we never hear followup on stories like this, I have no idea if the cops were ever charged.

Well stated. Caution is advised. There are many posted articles of Cops shooting at fleeing suspects.

" I have no idea if the cops were ever charged."

I think we can all take a guess on that , yeah.

• Like 1

Why Shoot a Dead Motorcyclist .? He cant run off.coffee1.gif

Yeah, that's just typical bad grammar from a Thai reporter. Proper English would be "shoot a motorcyclist dead". Certainly no reason to shoot a motorcyclist that is already dead. RIP.

Yet again, another great example of really great police training in this country. Either these police were never instructed NOT to use deadly force on a fleeing suspect from a simple check-point or this cop had a bad psychic makeup and was just looking for a reason to use his gun. All police should go through a "Psychological Preemployment Screening". I'm sure this cop would have never passed if he had.

Well the police must act accordingly to there law ,why not take the registration no! And follow up later ? Corruption still in the police force! I was turning right on my motorcycle waiting for traffic to pass when a policeman in pickup on wrong side of road aggressivly pressed his horn and instructed me to go ? But I cou because of oncoming traffic! It seems if you have a badge you're shit don't stink? Well I made a complaint and told the police in the pickup his fortune? We see and wait now!

Without social media the police would have got away with it again!!

Remember their first explanation: "He hit his head, when he fell off the bike" ?

That’s pretty close to this conclusion:

A corpse lies in a pool of blood after a man was pushed off a high-rise buildings balcony- first statement of a cop regarding cause of death was- cardiac arrest.

while the policeman involved stepped over the line by a long shot(no pun intended) the rider was also at fault for trying to run. The lack of respect for the law here is pretty bad(the acts of the bib doesnt help either), the amount of people that simply ignore police directions is woeful, have to wonder how many others had done a runner to stir up this officers gander to the point he finally had enough and shot at one of them.

• Like 1

How Police do it in your home countries? They SHOOT too!!!

https://www.google.co.th/search?num=100&safe=off&rls=com.microsoft%3Ade-DE%3AIE-Address&q=police+shoot+driver+refusing+to+stop&oq=police+shoot+driver+refusing+to+stop

Same same!!! If you not stop this shit can be happen!!!

The different is that in Thailand they all the time lies and tell crazy BS.

I mean in every movie you can see that the Police shoot you if you don't stop. So no one can tell "I DON'T KNOW THAT POLICE DO IT!!!"

It's your own fault if you try to drive away.

Why Shoot a Dead Motorcyclist .? He cant run off.coffee1.gif

Yeah, that's just typical bad grammar from a Thai reporter. Proper English would be "shoot a motorcyclist dead". Certainly no reason to shoot a motorcyclist that is already dead. RIP.

Yet again, another great example of really great police training in this country. Either these police were never instructed NOT to use deadly force on a fleeing suspect from a simple check-point or this cop had a bad psychic makeup and was just looking for a reason to use his gun. All police should go through a "Psychological Preemployment Screening". I'm sure this cop would have never passed if he had.

He would have passed cause 95% would have failed so then they just lower the pass mark until they have enough police. simple!

Why did the rider flee?

The rider did not flee.

As so often Thai police dus a road check on places where they bring traffic in danger. In this case (close to my house) the police was standing in a dark corner. This man just did not see the police untill he past and got gunned down.

• Like 2

Without social media the police would have got away with it again!!

Remember their first explanation: "He hit his head, when he fell off the bike" ?

At this point , the police must really be hating social media. The old days

of spewing out bullshit explanations and getting away with it are long gone.

• Like 2

Why did the rider flee?

The rider did not flee.

As so often Thai police dus a road check on places where they bring traffic in danger. In this case (close to my house) the police was standing in a dark corner. This man just did not see the police untill he past and got gunned down.

Thug-a contract killing maybe

Should disarm the police but have well trained marksmen ready at short notice