Which engine is better Toyota 2.7 Gasoline or 3.0 Diesel?

I am comparing these two Toyota engines both with an automatic transmission:

2.7 Gasoline 4 cyl 16 valve DOHC VVT-i

OR 3.0 Diesel 4 cyl 16 valve DOHC VN turbo Intercooler

Which would be most fuel efficient?

Which would cost less to maintain?

Anyone know how many kilometers per a liter these engines will run in a 4 door pickup?

Thanks

It can be very hard to find standardised numbers on fuel consumption for cars in Thailand.

What I usually do: look for the same (very similar) models in Australia.

A lot of pickups sold in Australia are imports from Thailand anyway.

So for the Hilux the numbers from Australia are more than clear!

Don't buy the petrol engine. Its a guzzler compared to the Diesel engine.

Combined with the fact that Diesel is and will probably always be preferred with taxes you run cheaper on the Diesel engine (and have more power and torque).

Numbers from Australia (l/100 km, do the reciprocal math on your own tongue.png )

http://www.toyota.com.au/hilux/specifications/workmate-4x2-double-cab-pick-up-petrol-auto?WT.ac=VH_HiLux_RangeSpecs_WorkMate4x2Double-CabPick-upPetrolAuto_Specs

Fuel consumption - ADR 81/02
- Fuel consumption - combined (L/100km) 11.6
- Fuel consumption - urban (L/100km) 15.5
- Fuel consumption - extra urban (L/100km) 9.3

http://www.toyota.com.au/hilux/specifications/sr-4x4-double-cab-pick-up-turbo-diesel-auto

Fuel consumption - ADR 81/02
- Fuel consumption - combined (L/100km) 8.7
- Fuel consumption - urban (L/100km) 11.1
- Fuel consumption - extra urban (L/100km) 7.3
Note: Fuel consumption will vary depending on driving conditions/style, vehicle conditions and options/accessories.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

3.0L Diesel. No competition.

Well well!

Just by happen-chance this topic was raised and I wanted to check it out. Not only does your comment but others, confirm what I know to be true. Diesel wins.

But to my surprise this is the first time, IMHO, that I note you have returned after so long.

Welcome back! clap2.gif

• Like 1

Diesel, every time for me,its a pity they don't have smaller diesel

cars here,my daughters Jazz seems to use a lot of petrol for such

a small car.

regards Worgeordie

New Mazda 2 has a sweet little 1.5 litre diesel. It's a great engine and pulls like a little locomotive for its size.

I should also add: if you're looking at buying new, you might want to wait a few days for the new 2.8L Diesel (if it doesn't get held back to minor change #1) smile.png

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 1

They should BAN stinking clattering Diesels for Private use. E85 dont pong and is cheap.Those ferangs with Trucks go no where anyway apart from Macro once a Month and Essarn once a year at water chukin time.giggle.gif

Careful everyone, Ace has seen the light and sold his truck and promises to go to church and beg for forgiveness for his evil ways....

Father it's been 32 years since my last confession. I bought and drove a clunker out of ignorance.... lol

• Like 2

Diesel no doubt!

I have a Vigo Hilux 3.0 D4D Auto for almost 8 years now and it has done 283,000 km without any hick up.

Fuel consumption is about 10.5 km per liter, not much difference if you drive short or long distance or fast or slow.

• Like 1

3.0L Diesel. No competition.

Well well!

Just by happen-chance this topic was raised and I wanted to check it out. Not only does your comment but others, confirm what I know to be true. Diesel wins.

But to my surprise this is the first time, IMHO, that I note you have returned after so long.

Welcome back! clap2.gif

I have always been here, but I'm no use to threads like "what paperwork do I need for a license?" and I keep on getting in trouble for breaking scoops, so I just answer the questions that I can now :)

• Like 1

Bought a new Vigo with a 2.7 several years ago because in the USA gasoline is the standard choice. I didn't know that in Thailand diesel is the standard choice and cheaper to operate. My wifes family was always complaining about buying gasoline, but then they coverted it to CNG and now it is a winner, very easy to convert and cheaper to run than diesel. I am the hero again.

Bought a new Vigo with a 2.7 several years ago because in the USA gasoline is the standard choice. I didn't know that in Thailand diesel is the standard choice and cheaper to operate. My wifes family was always complaining about buying gasoline, but then they coverted it to CNG and now it is a winner, very easy to convert and cheaper to run than diesel. I am the hero again.

If the engine survives..............whistling.gif ........If it don't, you are ...............again....sad.png

This is so True Jim, its called Ageing.I find these days nobs with Baseball Caps on Backwards,Ferangs who fit Cameras to their rides, but hide it before the Cops turn up cause they are wrong, plus Go Pro Nutters who seem to crash into any object , or human life form rather disconcerting..And Ferangs who ware Jesus Creeper Sandals with Black Socks.Must be from England.thumbsup.gifbiggrin.png

You obviously are not.