Which engine is better Toyota 2.7 Gasoline or 3.0 Diesel?

Bought a new Vigo with a 2.7 several years ago because in the USA gasoline is the standard choice. I didn't know that in Thailand diesel is the standard choice and cheaper to operate. My wifes family was always complaining about buying gasoline, but then they coverted it to CNG and now it is a winner, very easy to convert and cheaper to run than diesel. I am the hero again.

Where does the cng tank go, replaces standard fuel tank or in the 3rd row?

Goes in the boot ( think it's the trunk in Americanese ). With pickups, may be on top of the tray behind the cabin; or, if there's enough room, under the tray depending on the configuration of the existing fuel tank.

Goes in the boot ( think it's the trunk in Americanese ). With pickups, may be on top of the tray behind the cabin; or, if there's enough room, under the tray depending on the configuration of the existing fuel tank.

No thanks, cause the tunas boot is in the cabin..,

Bought a new Vigo with a 2.7 several years ago because in the USA gasoline is the standard choice. I didn't know that in Thailand diesel is the standard choice and cheaper to operate. My wifes family was always complaining about buying gasoline, but then they coverted it to CNG and now it is a winner, very easy to convert and cheaper to run than diesel. I am the hero again.

Fuel tank always has to stay as these conversions are designed so that you can run on either gas or petrol. Donut tank can in some cases be fitted in the spare wheel bay. If not, on the flat bed area.

Fuel tank always has to stay as these conversions are designed so that you can run on either gas or petrol. Donut tank can in some cases be fitted in the spare wheel bay. If not, on the flat bed area.

Yea I knew that mate was playing with those that might think mounting a cng tank inside of a tuna or other suv is a cool thing to do.

Yea I knew that mate was playing with those that might think mounting a cng tank inside of a tuna or other suv is a cool thing to do.
Ah ok. Your third row comment now makes a bit more sense, as I couldn't figure out where the third row was in a Vigo.

Up to you....

1379342640.jpg

picture%5C257255116003.jpg

20111013_1318486713.jpeg

p_120530085946.jpg

Edited by IMHO

Up to you....

1379342640.jpg

20111013_1318486713.jpeg

p_120530085946.jpg

Tunas? Lol

Diesel no doubt!

I have a Vigo Hilux 3.0 D4D Auto for almost 8 years now and it has done 283,000 km without any hick up.

Fuel consumption is about 10.5 km per liter, not much difference if you drive short or long distance or fast or slow.

That's a lot of trips to Makro...tongue.png

(for A of P)

Edited by rawhod

Up to you....

1379342640.jpg

20111013_1318486713.jpeg

p_120530085946.jpg

Tunas? Lol

You're the one that mentioned the "3rd row" in a Vigo thread ;) so I covered both bases :P

• Like 1

The tanks pictured above that sit under the flat bed rather than on top look great, but i can't help wondering how many of these gas conversion places offer to fit them in such a way, because if they all did, surely nobody would be having the tank fitted on the top.

The tanks pictured above that sit under the flat bed rather than on top look great, but i can't help wondering how many of these gas conversion places offer to fit them in such a way, because if they all did, surely nobody would be having the tank fitted on the top.

Yep, the under bed install definitely works around the problem of space, but I don't think I'd want to be around it if it got rear-ended wink.png

That's the Carryboy conversion BTW: http://www.carryboyngv.com/th/index.php

Edited by IMHO

My 2.7 Fortuner is original build, now ten years old. When running on Gasoline 91 I would get 10.5kpl, running on Gasohol 91 now gets 10kpl but, remember, fuel consumption will vary with driving technique.

Diesel is cheaper to run (due to subsidies from gasoline users) but the price must rise soon. Diesel uses less fuel but, again, economy depends on routes and driving style. I know 3.0 users who get lower economy than me.

Diesel downside is the smell and startup clatter, noisy idle. Service costs may be higher at some points such as need to replace timing belt.

Resale value of the 3.0 should be higher.

Personally, I dislike diesels in cars or SUVs - unless they are designed with those bodies in mind as with Mercs, BMWs and high end - as they are unrefined due to being standard light truck units.

You pays yer money and you takes yer choice......

It is not only the quality of the engine that counts.

The choise between diesel or benzin engine schould be in purpose of how many KM you drive in long distanse and or in a year.

If many Km = diesel

If you drive mosly in the city are short disanse = benzin the better option

The choise between diesel or benzin engine schould be in purpose of how many KM you drive in long distanse and or in a year.

If many Km = diesel

why is benzine better for short distances?

If many Km = diesel

why is benzine better for short distances?

Ask any good car mecanicer, they will tell you the same.

So far I know, a diesel engine needs long running to give the best of hime (to come on a hiigher temperature for much better burning of the fuel) and so to not be obstruct by the residuces of the bad burned diesel. It is also known that diesels live longer by long disance or much km then benzin.

Benzin engine not realy needs this high temperatures to burn the fuel and run so run easyer by short are very short distance.

I know that this is not the only thing, there is more but I'm not a mecanicer. Sure a member of TV can explain you clear the reasons.

If many Km = diesel

For Me its the opposite. ICan only go short time with a Clonker,hate the noise and crawlin up hills.

If many Km = diesel

For Me its the opposite. ICan only go short time with a Clonker,hate the noise and crawlin up hills.

guess you should have bought the one with the higher output engine Ace instead of taking the slow choice :) PS, driving a clonker allows one to turn up the stereo so lound that even the mrs doesn't feel like yapping in your ear. Method to the madness, try that in a prius lol

No Way, ,Lads got a T/Blazer, family has same as You.Let the Revs drop on long mountain runs and game over. Cant even keep up with a 125 Bhp Honda City.My Mrs dont say much, interrupts her Eating.thumbsup.gif

Some day ace you and I will go up a hill and see :)