Thai former PM Yingluck to face trial over rice scheme: court

webfact

Exactly my point, there is nothing on the internet, in the news or posted here that shows any illegal actions.

If spending B700 billion of other people's money with nothing to show for it is not a crime, I don't know what is.

Welcome to politics...

Edited by dukebowling
  • Like 1

Exactly my point, there is nothing on the internet, in the news or posted here that shows any illegal actions.

If spending B700 billion of other people's money with nothing to show for it is not a crime, I don't know what is.

Duke is a troll who just got active after joining seventeen months ago. Where has he been all this time? He never has anything thoughtful to say and just throws controversial comments out there.

Sorry, didn't mean to upset you. Don't take it so personal.

Btw - feel free to check out my many insightful posts.

Edited by dukebowling

The charge should be worded: Negligence to prevent the corruption of rice industry workers, government officials, police officers, military personnel, and politicians. That should cover the current case. Clearly the responsibility of the PM.

Also should add the following charges: Negligence to not operate the government at a budget surplus (the UN's should look into this kind of law too), implementing government programs that may cause a net loss, not causing the stock market increase enough, allowing the baht to devalue, allowing real estate property values to fall, allowing high unemployment levels, allowing to much disparity in wealth and not preventing the war in the south. Seems reasonable, right?

When will the Thai courts understand, you can never prove a negative (basic law). You have to prove an action was criminal…you can never have enough definitive proof for a non action and how it relates to a crime.

Negligence is provable.

A Negligent action is provable and must accompany intention for the damages. A negligent non-action case usually involves physical injury or loss of human life and requires high levels of proof.

You need to check your legal dictionary. Cases of negligence by non-action are possible in situations of responsibility. E.g. a babysitter is busy watching TV while the baby crawls into the pool, drowns and dies. A PM is in a position of responsibility.

Negligence by definition must not have intention to damage, if there is intention to damage it becomes a different offense. The intention in negligence is the action or inaction, not the consequence. They would need to prove that Yingluck willfully ignored the corruption rather than Yingluck intended to cause the corruption.

That being said, willfully ignoring corruption in Thailand is something most of the public service is probably guilty of.

You need to separate Criminal and Civil. Your neglection example of the baby sitter is criminal - where there is bodily harm. Neglection in a civil matter meeds to be intentional. Willfully ignoring corruption would be impossible to prove…it won't matter though with the skewed justice system in place currently

Edited by dukebowling

If you check the history of my posts I said "when the rice scheme was first proposed that it was government getting involved in something they should not be involved in.

Now having said that I just do not get it when they say they are criminally going after Yingluck because of Dereliction of Duty. This witch hunt is all politics.

It you can get someone because of dereliction of duty then Obama would be servicing a very long sentence. And the fallout from this is very very bad

If there are good Thai people that can be a good leader as MP or Prime minister why in gods name would they want to run for office in Thai politics ?

A lot of you here on Thai visa react out of emotion not reality . Think about it are children running around school saying I want to be Prime Minister when I grow up

I think not .

That is a sad state of affairs

I raced to comment and realized that there were several pages already. Thinking - ok, I'll bite, and read some garbage before posting. Thank you for only having to read a few posts before finding yours. Refreshing... I could not say it any better than you sir about what was on my mind.

Edited by Phil Water

I like the way that you highlight the words that include vote buying etc.

Do you think that this is a red only policy?

Didn't Mark say that the yellows/democrats spent more on vote buying than the reds?

I lived in the south for many along year and I saw more corruption and vote buying there than I have seen in the north.

Where do you live? In the same yellow tower as a lot of people on here.

Once again I state " I am not a redshirt supporter " I like to read factual comments and not fiction from those with selective memories, either red or yellow, thank you

"Didn't Mark say that the yellows/democrats spent more on vote buying than the reds?"

I don't recall Abhisit ever saying that, although I sometimes do miss things due to being away traveling, do you have a source for it ? :wai2.gif

If there is anything that will guarantee no reconciliation it's taking YL to trail over this. It's vindictive and misguided.

I refuse to believe she profited from any of this or ever had any intention to profit from it...why would she...she already has enough money. I also will not believe she did anything with malicious intent and those are the only reasons she should be found guilty if either of those two can be proved beyond any doubt. She might be blamed for poor judgement, for being naive, for not listening or not acting fast enough or just not being very bright, but none of those are jail-able offenses. This is simply an out-of-control, rabid government out to get Thaksin anyway they can and if that means putting his sister in jail in lieu of him then that is what they will do.

The charge is negligence and not corruption. There are no evidence connecting her to corruption. If negligence was the charge, then there are a laundry list of past PMs that have schemes mired in corruption. The Thai Khen Khaeg which cost 1.49T B by Ahbisit, Chuan's Phuket land corruption and even Chavalit financial crisis debacle were result of negligence. The Supreme Court has the responsibility to accept the case and the verdict will tell if this is another purge attempt on the Shins or if proper due process of law was practiced, rule her not guilty.

I've never been quite clear on what they are trying to put her in jail for. If it's negligence then that certainly should not be a jail-able offense or most politicians around the world would be in jail. This is pure vindictive revenge against someone with the name Shinawatra.

Welcome to politics...

Agreed. Spending money is something all government does.

The trial is not about spending money. The trial is about negligence, specifically, the failure of the chair of the National Rice Policy Committee to oversee the program she was directly responsible for.

• Like 2

If there is anything that will guarantee no reconciliation it's taking YL to trail over this. It's vindictive and misguided.

I refuse to believe she profited from any of this or ever had any intention to profit from it...why would she...she already has enough money. I also will not believe she did anything with malicious intent and those are the only reasons she should be found guilty if either of those two can be proved beyond any doubt. She might be blamed for poor judgement, for being naive, for not listening or not acting fast enough or just not being very bright, but none of those are jail-able offenses. This is simply an out-of-control, rabid government out to get Thaksin anyway they can and if that means putting his sister in jail in lieu of him then that is what they will do.

The charge is negligence and not corruption. There are no evidence connecting her to corruption. If negligence was the charge, then there are a laundry list of past PMs that have schemes mired in corruption. The Thai Khen Khaeg which cost 1.49T B by Ahbisit, Chuan's Phuket land corruption and even Chavalit financial crisis debacle were result of negligence. The Supreme Court has the responsibility to accept the case and the verdict will tell if this is another purge attempt on the Shins or if proper due process of law was practiced, rule her not guilty.

I've never been quite clear on what they are trying to put her in jail for. If it's negligence then that certainly should not be a jail-able offense or most politicians around the world would be in jail. This is pure vindictive revenge against someone with the name Shinawatra.

The present charade not about negligence or any other aspect of the ill advised rice price support policy.( I say ill advised not so much as to the subsidy objectives which are replicated in the US, Japan etc but about its implementation and abuse).In any event as any fule kno it's not about the scheme.It's about the eradication of the Shinawatra influence.Whether it will be successful remains to be seen but whatever happens the genie is out of the bottle - to deploy that rather overused metaphor.It is of course absurd to have taken Yingluck through the impeachment/criminal process yet that it what has happened.The wiser heads in the government know it to be counterrproductive (and plain wrong to boot) but for the moment the crazies are in the ascendent.The overall effect has been to increase the pressure in the cooker so Thailand's problem is not solved, merely postponed to return in a more toxic form in the future.Maybe sense and morality will prevail:I hope so.As for the ultras on this forum they remind me of the communists who persisted in their faith long after the brutalities of the Soviet Union were exposed.

This will be their downfall ( one way or another) it won't gel internationally ...this guy might as well get the same Haircut as Kim ...because that will become their brand name if they jail her.

Some people here might not understand the judicial process ...but the US and Europe do

I think there was an extra comma put into the OP:

"As prime minister I was always honest and served the Thai people, who voted for my government" should be "served the Thai people who voted for my government" ....and to hell with the rest of you.

How do you put someone on trial when she has not finished her term of office? Or created her legacy to be judged against? While I am not supporting Ms Yingluck, I wonder what is different between what she was doing and that of successive governments in Japan, France, etc which subsidize their farmers in a way that the final produce has to be bought by their public and others at grossly inflated prices. I think Ms Yingluck is a surprisingly shrewd politician who hopes to leverage an existing tried formula, while the rest are just dumb (too engrossed with living in their ivory towers). In a country plagued by corruption, often it is the poor and downtrodden who are the most honest in the land not because they are morally impeccable or incorruptible, but rather they lack the power and influence to act corruptly.

And for Ms Yingluck to 'redistribute' the wealth of the land in an admittedly self-serving fashion, is really not as bad as it looks. Of course she is not a modern-day Robin Hood (some may choose to call her even Robin Loot, for others it may be Robin Good), but any attempt to tamper with a democratic institution will have a long term cost which will return to roost. The best is to discredit her, criminalize all such bad hustings practices and schemes, negotiate for an admission of gross error from her, then send her packing from the political theatre for a good 5, 10 years. Any other outcome will only stoke the fires of retaliation and vengeance.

The present charade not about negligence or any other aspect of the ill advised rice price support policy.( I say ill advised not so much as to the subsidy objectives which are replicated in the US, Japan etc but about its implementation and abuse).In any event as any fule kno it's not about the scheme.It's about the eradication of the Shinawatra influence.Whether it will be successful remains to be seen but whatever happens the genie is out of the bottle - to deploy that rather overused metaphor.It is of course absurd to have taken Yingluck through the impeachment/criminal process yet that it what has happened.The wiser heads in the government know it to be counterrproductive (and plain wrong to boot) but for the moment the crazies are in the ascendent.The overall effect has been to increase the pressure in the cooker so Thailand's problem is not solved, merely postponed to return in a more toxic form in the future.Maybe sense and morality will prevail:I hope so.As for the ultras on this forum they remind me of the communists who persisted in their faith long after the brutalities of the Soviet Union were exposed.

I agree this is part of a series attempting to remove the Shiniwattra family from politics. But they are not and have never been squeaky clean, remotely interested in democracy or in it for anything other than themselves. That's not suggesting others are different,

The difference is that in the past rich, elite, hiso, powerful families have always been untouchable - for corruption whilst in office, business frauds, even murders.

Now that seems to have changed, so someone has changed the rules of the game, quite significantly.

Where that will lead is debatable.

It's not just the intent to remove the family, in itself an easy task if one is prepared to steamroller over an elected government, suborn the courts and ban free speech.The greater objective is to remove their influence - a rather harder task.

I agree all politicians tend to be self serving.Thaksin was not an admirable man though whether he was much worse than other politicians is debatable.His significance was that for no doubt ignoble motives he undermined the grip of a small number of unelected groups.

The Thai people recognised that hence the stream of election victories for parties influenced by him.Even a rigged constitution and delayed polls won't do anything but delay the time when the Thai people will choose their leadership rather than being bullied in one direction by self appointed "good" people.In that sense whatever his personal fate Thaksin has already won.In their hearts the old elites already know this - so we are at the early stages of a compromise agreement.

• Like 1

Rixalex. I actually agree with much of what you say.Her government was not impressive and she clearly wasn't up to it.I confess that I do admire her some of her personal qualities.

But I feel we are at cross purposes.I hold no brief for the RPPS and it had many flaws.My point is the treatment of Yingluck is prompted by almost totally different considerations.If you talk to well placed supporters of the current regime they don't even bother to deny it.