Army chief threatens to sue accusers

Lite Beer

Army chief threatens to sue accusers
TORTURE CLAIMS
THE NATION

30256459-01_big.JPG?1426891087837

BANGKOK: -- Udomdej says he has to take legal action to defend the army against torture claims

ARMY Chief General Udomdej Sitabutr has warned that anyone who alleges the military tortured grenade-attack suspects while in detention will be sued for libel.

Udomdej said yesterday that officers were using martial law according to the letter of the law and that did not include torture or other violations of human rights.

The move came as Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha warned against dragging the United Nations into the fray over torture and assault allegations.

However Prayut said: "Let them make a complaint [to the United Nations]. Officers do have evidence. I have assigned related agencies to take care of the matter and pictures have been taken as evidence."

Prayut criticised the National Human Rights Commission over its decision to meet with the suspects next week, saying he wondered if the NHRC had ever defended the rights of government officials. The premier also said he had ordered officials to look into an online campaign to have martial law lifted on change.org that had gathered nearly 6,000 signatures as of yesterday.

In response to allegations of the military committing human rights abuses, Udomdej said the Army was ready to allow outsiders to scrutinise its work.

"I reiterate that officers understand their powers and their operational boundary and they would not take away someone's human rights, particularly assaults on suspects," he said. "We will definitely not do it [commit human rights violations]. We must clarify and ensure that the truth can be checked and that officers are ready for scrutiny.

"As for those who distorted [the truth] and claimed that assaults have taken place, the Army is compelled to take legal action despite its unwillingness to do so because it doesn't regard anyone as its enemy.

"[but] anyone who committed a wrong must be investigated because the Army has been violated by falsehoods. I will take legal action."

When asked by reporters if there was any chance of relaxing the use of martial law, Udomdej said Prime Minister Prayut had ordered that martial law be used in cases where violence has occurred but there was a preference for using normal laws in all other cases.

The Army chief said that people who disagree with the government should not air their opinions publicly as doing so could create chaos. If people followed that advice, special laws would not be needed, he said.

In relation to the alleged fugitive "mastermind" behind the grenade attack at the Criminal Court, Manoon "Anek" Chaichana, Udomdej said the government and the National Council for Peace and Order were working with the Justice and Foreign ministries to have him located and extradited back to Thailand as soon as possible.

The military yesterday turned over three grenade-attack suspects - Somchai Apinanthavorn, Vasu Iamlaor and Suraphol Iamsuwan - to police investigators. Somchai told police that his son, Thanawut Apinanthavorn, received money from Manoon and handed it to him.

Meanwhile, Red Sunday group leader Sombat Boonngam-anong has defended another suspect, Sansern Sriounrern, saying he knew him and described him as a non-violent man committed to democracy.

Sansern, a taxi driver, claimed |he was tortured while in military custody.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Army-chief-threatens-to-sue-accusers-30256459.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-03-21

I don't think the Junta supporters on TVF really realise what a dark and bleak road Thailand is headed down, continuing on with their pro Junta nonsense posts by repeatedly spewing out clearly false propaganda as Thailand careens full throttle down this highway to becoming the globes new North Korea where the military have starved and beaten the suppressed population and go as far as feeding citizens they dislike to dogs.

Dystopia anyone?

The new North Korea? Feeding citizens to the dogs? Really? ... and what do you suggest people do? Fight? Cause trouble? Rebel? Throw grenades? Terrorize?

Most members have an opinion, often apposing, and are entitled to their opinion. We will can only wait. All goes well - election next year.

"Dystopia anyone?" A little exaggeration perhaps? Dystopia definition-, "a society characterized by human misery, as squalor, oppression, disease, and overcrowding"

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I don't think the Junta supporters on TVF really realise what a dark and bleak road Thailand is headed down, continuing on with their pro Junta nonsense posts by repeatedly spewing out clearly false propaganda as Thailand careens full throttle down this highway to becoming the globes new North Korea where the military have starved and beaten the suppressed population and go as far as feeding citizens they dislike to dogs.

Dystopia anyone?

Just the opposite.

Poor poor Army Chief.

First you invite them to your cosy camp-fire and then they complain!!

Only one solution: Charge them all with LM.

Oh silly me!! You are doing that already........................coffee1.gif

• Like 2

"Prayut criticised the National Human Rights Commission over its decision to meet with the suspects next week, saying he wondered if the NHRC had ever defended the rights of government officials. The premier also said he had ordered officials to look into an online campaign to have martial law lifted on change.org that had gathered nearly 6,000 signatures as of yesterday."

A rather odd statement given the treatment of he common Thai at the hands of corrupt officials. Is there such a case where an official had to be protected from the public ?

"The Army chief said that people who disagree with the government should not air their opinions publicly as doing so could create chaos. If people followed that advice, special laws would not be needed, he said."

Sure if the Army Chief wanted to air his opinions, he would do so without such restraint, but then he is privileged. The rest of us are not.

Nothing new here. Same bat time, same bat channel. ....To really understand the big picture one just needs to start about 1933 and read from there. It makes no sense to even try and have an opinion regarding Thai politics unless you have a firm understanding of its history. Then it seems you come full circle. Nothing new hear just the recent cast.

• Like 2

"...Udomdej says he has to take legal action to defend the army against torture claims..."

If you want people to believe you...it's simple. Video everything from the moment a prisoner is taken into custody. Video doesn't lie and if it does experts can tell. That will quell your critics in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

What's wrong with filing a lawsuit? Both sides of the political spectrum do it with abandon. Might as well bleed the Thaksin legal defense fund.

Authoritarian government tortures citizen - gross violation of human rights. Citizen objects. Authoritarian government leader sues tortured citizen for daring to complain that he was tortured.

Nope, nothing wrong there. The better question is "what's wrong with you"?

No, the better question is what evidence can be produced to support such a claim. Only courts are empowered to decide these matters. Not people speculating on social media forums.

• Like 1

Dystopia anyone?

Don't let paranoia overtake rational though.

It could be a lot different now (worse) but it isn't.

As for the future......I don't have a crystal ball.

Meaning that it is worth sacrificing liberties for security ? You may very well find the words of Ben Franklin sobering. "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Think your crystal ball needs to look back in time, not forward.

I wasn't feeling abused until i read your post, i walked round the house this morning looking for my liberty,couldn't find it anywhere so perhaps you are on to something. Chill out a little,it's only a coup, in Thailand that's like a by-election

"he wondered if the NHRC had ever defended the rights of government officials".

Prayuth has really lost the plot.

Perhaps, someone could give the general a few pointers on the roles and responsibilities of various agencies, as he doesn't seem to understand.

What I find shocking is that the manner of questioning the NHRC suggests intimidation. Anywhere else and people would be calling for the resignation of a senior government official who behaved in such a manner. It's called interference. The NHRC have an obligation to respond to complaints of human rights abuses. It doesn't mean it supports the complaint or has even validated the complaint. Seems to me the general is spooked.

• Like 2

Prayut criticised the National Human Rights Commission over its decision to meet with the suspects next week, saying he wondered if the NHRC had ever defended the rights of government officials.

Dear General, it is a well known fact that government officials are non-humans and therefore don't fall under the mandate of NHRC.

We run the country, we still impose martial law but we're not above using the ever popular libel / defamation laws.

It is their right to use the libel/defamation laws as they are there for a reason.

I would most like them to sue these 'human rights' parasites as when they get their tentacles into any case - they slander the police/army with lies about torture and the retracting of statements. Go on the offensive and call them out to prove these scandalous torture accusations (yes even on Koh Tao) are nothing other than to deflect the seriousness of what they have committed away from them and to garner the sympathy vote from gullible people like you!!!

Dystopia anyone?

Don't let paranoia overtake rational though.

It could be a lot different now (worse) but it isn't.

As for the future......I don't have a crystal ball.

Really paranoia. Let me think I can give you links to foreign news which relates to torture but if I do that I can be arrested and deported under computer act and thats not paranoia but reality. I can give you links that prove that some people got paid B 1,5 bn for the 2006 coup which is related to some people having assets far exceding their life time income. But again I cant do that without running the risk of arrest. Incase you missed it, all mobile numbers must now be registered. At first they said it was an antiterrorist measure but yesterday the truth came out that it is to catching people that speak out against the junta and break the LM laws. So yes Thailand isnt North Korea yet but the trend is in the wrong direction.

• Like 1