Kan Air, new U-Tapao - Udon Thani route.

NanLaew

I was reading on another forum about Kan Air running a service between U-Tapao and Udon Thani 4 days/week on Monday, Wednesday, Friday & Sunday. I think the service kicks-off this coming weekend. This could be an alternative to the gridlocked roads and full flights either side of Songkran. Using ATR's and taking 10-minutes shy of 2 hours for the flight.

Does anyone have experience with them on their other, more established routes in the north?

They have an online booking and payment service so wondering if there's any need for the credit card used to purchase the ticket being required at check-in. The website looks flaky but I am on a low bandwidth connection here in Vietnam.

Has anyone any recommendations on transport to/from Pattaya and U-Tapao and how the check-in and security is like? Bangkok Air service Samui from U-Tapao so hoping that some here have experience with this airport and getting there and back.

Thanks,

NL

i went from Pattaya to Utapao last year, flying to Phuket. I took a taxi from pattaya 650 baht? Utapao was not busy, no wait, no line. Small snack bar. Walked out on tarmac and got on the plane. I landed back in Utapao later. The taxis were priced nutty but were quickly "negotiated" down, but just when I was about to pay I decided to check another booth and along the way found there was a mini van type of shuttle! That cost llike 150 Baht or something like that. I don't know how to book that i n advance or in real time or how often it is there or if it is there all day long, every hour or what, or if I just got lucky that day. But minivan for the ride from Pattaya to Utapao works fine for me and I would try to find such a thing the next time I use that airport

i went from Pattaya to Utapao last year, flying to Phuket. I took a taxi from pattaya 650 baht? Utapao was not busy, no wait, no line. Small snack bar. Walked out on tarmac and got on the plane. I landed back in Utapao later. The taxis were priced nutty but were quickly "negotiated" down, but just when I was about to pay I decided to check another booth and along the way found there was a mini van type of shuttle! That cost llike 150 Baht or something like that. I don't know how to book that i n advance or in real time or how often it is there or if it is there all day long, every hour or what, or if I just got lucky that day. But minivan for the ride from Pattaya to Utapao works fine for me and I would try to find such a thing the next time I use that airport

Thanks for that. I read in another forum that taxi's to/from U-Tapao tend to be mercenary bastards opportunists. If we can't find the hub of mini buses in Pattaya, it may be better to get one of our regular, tested Suvarnabhumi airport drivers to do the trip. If it's going to be that price, may as well be comfy in a decent car with someone you know.

Just thinking, since Bangkok Air are a regular U-Tapao user, maybe they have details on where to find a mini bus.

Just did a quick look on a o/w fare (just in case it is crap) for mum and son and it's 1980 baht. Thai Smile are over 5000 baht and already filling up.

Edited by NanLaew

Due to the German language article:

Kan Air promises a bus shuttle from Pattaya included in the price.

Don't know about U-Tapao to Pattaya.

They also plan other routes from U-Tapao like Khon Kaen tongue.png (plus Ubon and Chiang Mai).

Would love to see it.

An article in English is in the other newspaper which must not be linked here.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Due to the German language article:

Kan Air promises a bus shuttle from Pattaya included in the price.

Don't know about U-Tapao to Pattaya.

They also plan other routes from U-Tapao like Khon Kaen tongue.png

Would love to see it.

You would think if they include the shuttle from Pattaya to U-Tapao, it would be a no-brainer for them to have the mini-bus bring arriving pax back into Pattaya, no?

Kanair also have routes from Hua Hin at THB 990 CM etc. Budget airline but beats the roads. At these prices I don't think they could afford a shuttle to and from Patters without increasing it. Great news for us this side of the water, especially those in South Pattaya, Baan Amphur...Cheapest way would be the Sattahip/Rayong bus then a moto taxi to U Tapao...dependent on luggage of course.

Thanks for that. I read in another forum that taxi's to/from U-Tapao tend to be mercenary bastards opportunists. If we can't find the hub of mini buses in Pattaya, it may be better to get one of our regular, tested Suvarnabhumi airport drivers to do the trip. If it's going to be that price, may as well be comfy in a decent car with someone you know.

Just thinking, since Bangkok Air are a regular U-Tapao user, maybe they have details on where to find a mini bus.

Just did a quick look on a o/w fare (just in case it is crap) for mum and son and it's 1980 baht. Thai Smile are over 5000 baht and already filling up.

FYI: I flew out of Utapoa on Bangkok Air. Loved it. The view out the window flying to Phuket was quite nice. The little lunch box was better than Thai Air, which I later flew back on to Utapao. The taxis at Utapao will definitely try to charge a lot. They know you need a ride. Taxis from Pattaya to Utapao were not too bad, because there is so much competition but they all were up in the 650-800 baht range. It is a good 30 minute drive each way so I can understand them needing to charge something in order to make a profit. Got to ask around for that minivan thing. I didn't keep any record of who or what they were, business card etc.

Lady friend booked for 12th April to Udon. 990 baht each way. She booked direct from her Kasikorn account. 2 hours v 11 on the bus, no brainier.

Service starts on 10th April

Their inaugural weekend flights are filling up fast! All the 990 baht seats on the 10th and 12th are gone already. Just booked Mrs & Master NL one-way on the latter one for 3380 baht all up. Superb fast online payment via Kasikorn, even with a foreign credit card and all this via a satellite link offshore Vietnam!

I checked their terms and conditions and the only thing she needs to show at check-in is their ID's and the booking number. THAI still insists on the credit card being sighted at check-in even if it is just for paying the tax on reward travel!

Has your lady mentioned how she's getting to U-Tapao yet? If no clues, I will get Mrs NL to call Kan and ask.

Lady friend booked for 12th April to Udon. 990 baht each way. She booked direct from her Kasikorn account. 2 hours v 11 on the bus, no brainier.

Service starts on 10th April

Their inaugural weekend flights are filling up fast! All the 990 baht seats on the 10th and 12th are gone already. Just booked Mrs & Master NL one-way on the latter one for 3380 baht all up. Superb fast online payment via Kasikorn, even with a foreign credit card and all this via a satellite link offshore Vietnam!

I checked their terms and conditions and the only thing she needs to show at check-in is their ID's and the booking number. THAI still insists on the credit card being sighted at check-in even if it is just for paying the tax on reward travel!

Has your lady mentioned how she's getting to U-Tapao yet? If no clues, I will get Mrs NL to call Kan and ask.

She hasn't mentioned it yet but I did tell her about the chance of Kan putting on a bus

• 4 weeks later...

Well the flights are up and running now, does anyone know how it is going?

I have flown from U-Tapao on about a dozen occasions with Bangkok Air over the last few years and really enjoy the local airport experience. The Bangkok Air service is very good to Phuket and Koh Samui, but quite expensive at around 7000 Baht a ticket, but is does mean they provide a very good and punctual service.

I very keen to support this expansion of the use of U-Tapao and will most likely use Kan Air next month to fly to Udon Thani, so what is this budget service like?

For example, having only 1 plane to service all their Northern routes - was the flight on schedule ?

As the OP says, the website seems flaky, so what was it like booking with them ?

Edited by dsfbrit

I stumbled upon a piece of text on the Kan Air website, which says that they provide a minibus service to/from U-Tapao to their office (?) on Sukhumvit road south of Makro opposite Ford showroom.

They seem to have one individual bus schedule (departure) for each flight.

If I find it again I will link to it.

I am also very keen to hear of any recent experiences with Kan Air.

Would it be useful to move the thread to the Thailand Travel forum or open a new thread?

Found: the info about their bus service is on the Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/kanairlines/photos/a.179060202138662.41198.112981975413152/962405530470788/?type=1

Pick-up/Drop off locations and departure times
U-Tapao - Ubon Ratchathani : 9:45
U-Tapao - Khon Kaen : 9:45
U-Tapao - Udon Thani : 13:00
U-Tapao - Chiang Mai : 13:00

So e.g. if you are booked on the flight from U-Tapao to Khon Kaen at 11:30h the bus will leave there at 9:45h.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I stumbled upon a piece of text on the Kan Air website, which says that they provide a minibus service to/from U-Tapao to their office (?) on Sukhumvit road south of Makro opposite Ford showroom.

They seem to have one individual bus schedule (departure) for each flight.

If I find it again I will link to it.

I am also very keen to hear of any recent experiences with Kan Air.

Would it be useful to move the thread to the Thailand Travel forum or open a new thread?

Found: the info about their bus service is on the Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/kanairlines/photos/a.179060202138662.41198.112981975413152/962405530470788/?type=1

Pick-up/Drop off locations and departure times

U-Tapao - Ubon Ratchathani : 9:45

U-Tapao - Khon Kaen : 9:45

U-Tapao - Udon Thani : 13:00

U-Tapao - Chiang Mai : 13:00

So e.g. if you are booked on the flight from U-Tapao to Khon Kaen at 11:30h the bus will leave there at 9:45h.

Hi Khun BENQ.

I would love to be able to go on Kan Air regularly from Pattaya to Chiang Mai instead of on NCA buses but it’s silly to pay 990 baht for the plane ticket and then 800 baht for a taxi to and from U-Tapao. As a matter of principle I won’t do it . But a free service would be great

and I would I even gladly pay 250 to 300 in a minibus because then I don’t feel like I’m being ripped off. But there doesn’t seem to be mention of any free or fare charging minibus service in the evening?

If I come back on this airline it doesn’t arrive back in U-Tapao until 19.40 and I can just imagine how the taxi drivers would be licking their lips at that time of the evening knowing they’ve got you over a barrel.bah.gif

Edited by Asiantravel

• 2 weeks later...

Kan Air were a dream to fly with & the security at U-T were charming.

They served a nice green curry with steamed rice plus hot tea, coffee & soft drinks on pour.

Baggage took seconds rather minutes & I would highly recommend them to anyone who needs to fly domestic.

Use it or lose it as it's a great service.

Could you say a word how you got to or from U-Tapao?

you could a get a mini van heading to ban chang and get off at utapo - its 70b from Sukumvit.. just hand around and stop a few mini vans heading towards that way - i used to live in bang chang, so i know it goes past there - could be a bit of a walk though from sukumvit to the departure 'gate' i remember as i dropped off some friends once who flew to samui... bit of a drive from the main road, so i think a motorbike taxi to the airport from sukumvit.

you could a get a mini van heading to ban chang and get off at utapo - its 70b from Sukumvit.. just hand around and stop a few mini vans heading towards that way - i used to live in bang chang, so i know it goes past there - could be a bit of a walk though from sukumvit to the departure 'gate' i remember as i dropped off some friends once who flew to samui... bit of a drive from the main road, so i think a motorbike taxi to the airport from sukumvit.

Why pay when it's free?blink.png

post-149848-0-30324200-1430724597_thumb.

I drove BENQ

Even when you get to the entrance of the airport it's a few kms to the actual terminal.

There was no pay booth or did there appear to be anyone collecting money for carparking.

I left my car about 20 metres from the terminal door over a covered parking space of which there were maybe 40-50 spaces.

I flew from U-Tapao last November with Bangkok Air to Koh Samui. I parked my car there then and there was a booth at the front of the car park just near the terminal where you could get a car parking ticket. It was not manned at the time. When I got back 5 days later it was manned and I just showed him my flight ticket and paid 350 Baht for 5 days, so 70 Baht a day.

Last Thursday I booked a flight on my PC for a friend who does not have an internet connection. The flight was to Ubon Ratchanthani for next week. I used their new website. The process was simple and we paid by credit card. There was no confirmation to his email address, so I suggested he went to the office shown on the map posted by AsianTravel above. He lives nearby so it was the easiest thing to do.

He went there last Friday to find the KanAir office was not yet open. It will be opened soon he was told - no date though. There was however a vehicle there that was being used to take people to and from U-Tapao airport. He will use the bus when he flies next week. The bus service is free - for now anyway.

We could not book his seat online, that has to be done at the airport.

I contacted Kan Air a couple of times by email to ask them some questions about their service and they replied each time within a couple of hours. The email address I used was - [email protected].