Recent (2015) experiences with Kan Air?

KhunBENQ

As you might have noticed the small national carrier Kan Air has recently expanded its schedule.

E.g. with flights from and to U-Tapao using ATR 72 turboprops.

Due to this entry in their Faceobook page from April 16 they serve:
https://www.facebook.com/kanairlines/photos/a.179060202138662.41198.112981975413152/965874116790596/?type=1&permPage=1

U-Tapao ->

Surat Thani
Hat Yai
Chiang Mai
Khon Kaen
Ubon Ratchathani
Udon Thani

(not all daily)

Has anyone used one of these routes?

Reports about other routes welcome.

What was the experience?
How about their (free?) bus shuttle from Sukhumvit rd. to U-Tapao?

Edited by KhunBENQ

I have recently used KAN air ,it was an exceptionally good experience.ATR72 very good staff all round ,choice of hot meal.it was like going back 30 years when to fly was a pleasure not a nightmare. I flew kkc cnx and would use them again if possible.anything wrong ?always something !web site needs more work but I booked in January before the aircraft were there so perhaps running good now.

A good one.

The two ATR72 are about seven years old.

Unless you are an insider you will not know much about the safety and personel at this small carrier.

No significant statistical data, as it started operation in 2011.

No incidents that I am aware of.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I don't know the details, but I think the issues were more operational, training and management related. Which of course leads to safety issues....my point was, it looks like some smaller airlines might not be in business much longer. But who knows which ones.

From another thread info about their bus service is on the Facebook page:

https://www.facebook...0470788/?type=1

Pick-up/Drop off locations and departure times
U-Tapao - Ubon Ratchathani : 9:45
U-Tapao - Khon Kaen : 9:45
U-Tapao - Udon Thani : 13:00
U-Tapao - Chiang Mai : 13:00

So e.g. if you are booked on the flight from U-Tapao to Khon Kaen at 11:30h the bus will leave there at 9:45h.

The latest schedule as an image:

http://www.kanairlines.com/web/flight-schedule/

No information yet for the "new" destinations of Hat Yai and Surat Thani, so hopefully it will be updated any soon.

Also this "relocation hop" from U-Tapao to Don Mueang is soon to be finished (from searching the booking system).

Edited by KhunBENQ

I don't know the details, but I think the issues were more operational, training and management related. Which of course leads to safety issues....my point was, it looks like some smaller airlines might not be in business much longer. But who knows which ones.

The airlines under the safety spotlight are all the little known airlines that do holiday flights from Don Muang to China, Korea and Japan with elderly aircraft. Kan Air is not in that category, they are a domestic carrier with modern equipment and i am not aware of any safety issues. They have for many years flown a single engine Cessna Caravan from Chiang Mai to Pai, Mae Hong Son, Chiang Rai, Phitsanulok, all over with no problems as far as i know.

I flew with them last Saturday, Don Muang to U-Tapao. The only reason i travelled was at the moment they are using their Hawker Premier biz jet. Its the only chance i will ever get to fly on a biz jet so it was 990 baht well spent. It was a great flight. This flight should change to an ATR72 very soon. Their biz jet does appear occasionally on other flights like Chiang Mai to Hua Hin and Ubon. Normally you would have to charter this biz jet for big baht and it will fly wherever you want.

post-113867-0-06123200-1429776195_thumb.

I flew with them last Saturday, Don Muang to U-Tapao.

This short hop will likely be ending on April 28.

At least you don't find a flight when using the flight booking on their website after that date.

I have been waiting for the website to be available again as I was planning to fly on Friday to Udon Thani and come back Sunday. When it became available this morning I was offered 'Kan Promo' and 'Kan Saver' options that were fully booked, so was offered this deal.

This deal is OK, not a bad price, but not the 1900 baht return I had expected:-

Total Package Price 3,980.00THB

Edited by dsfbrit

Yes many of the 990 promo prices are gone.

A few can still be found for May.

3980 is not a bargain. Sure cheaper via Don Mueang but with the usual troubles.

BTW: on the homepage they now advertise a further new route:

U-Tapao <> Hua Hin

But not in the booking system yet.

post-99794-0-41861500-1430278246_thumb.j

Yes many of the 990 promo prices are gone.

A few can still be found for May.

3980 is not a bargain. Sure cheaper via Don Mueang but with the usual troubles.

BTW: on the homepage they now advertise a further new route:

U-Tapao <> Hua Hin

But not in the booking system yet.

attachicon.gifslide-kanair1.jpg

It would be really helpfull if they said when the new routes actually start. They probably do not know I suspect.

From their FB site (in Thai only).

Starting May 29th 2015.

Promotion price U-Tapao <> Hua Hin 490 Baht.

https://www.facebook.com/kanairlines/posts/973893262655348

Thanks for that - looked at UTP -HH from 29th May up to mid July - says all sold out - all classes. I find that hard to believe. They will have to sort out there web site if they really want to sell tickets.

Yes, their website needs much attention and the booking system does not show this flight yet (sold out obviously should read as not found).

The info on the FB page is from yesterday evening, so l\ets wait and recheck.

Edited by KhunBENQ

• 4 weeks later...

I did a booking today (Khon Kaen - U-Tapao).

At first there was a problem with the payment via Kasikorn's virtual credit card.

I then sent an email to KanAir.

I got a response after an hour or so with an excuse and asked to try again.

It then worked, reservation documents online and additionally got a confirmation via email with attachment.

Some members seemed to have problems with their published email address.

center (at) kanairlines.com worked fine today.

On my route the 990 promo price was "Sold out" until June 6.

Had to pay 1690.

Saw some dates where even this was sold out and only 1990 was on offer.

Looks like "well booked",

Edited by KhunBENQ

If it helps, this is what I wrote in another forum :

Having to fly several times a month to Pattaya (via BKK) I thought I would give Kan Air a try yesterday and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised.
First U Tapoo, this has none of the comforts of Swampy – read lounge for BKK Air – so that is one let-down but it does make that up in so far as very few people at U Tapao and no long walks.
The plan was 45 mins late in departing (the usual late incoming) but the driver made up time and we arrived just 25 mins late – this lateness may be their achilles heel as trying to pack in too many fights per day.
I believe it was an ATR 72 (looked quite new) but there was only 14 passengers so we had plenty of space and the (2) stewardess’s were both very efficient and helpful.
The big surprise was the food, a choice of 2 main dishes and at a standard to put many international carries to shame !
Overall the flight was smooth and I would not hesitate to use them again however without more passengers using the service they cannot continue from an economic standpoint.

• 3 weeks later...

If it helps, this is what I wrote in another forum :

Having to fly several times a month to Pattaya (via BKK) I thought I would give Kan Air a try yesterday and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised.

First U Tapoo, this has none of the comforts of Swampy – read lounge for BKK Air – so that is one let-down but it does make that up in so far as very few people at U Tapao and no long walks.

The plan was 45 mins late in departing (the usual late incoming) but the driver made up time and we arrived just 25 mins late – this lateness may be their achilles heel as trying to pack in too many fights per day.

I believe it was an ATR 72 (looked quite new) but there was only 14 passengers so we had plenty of space and the (2) stewardess’s were both very efficient and helpful.

The big surprise was the food, a choice of 2 main dishes and at a standard to put many international carries to shame !

Overall the flight was smooth and I would not hesitate to use them again however without more passengers using the service they cannot continue from an economic standpoint.

On the latest schedule there are NO flights in or out from Utapao. Ho Hum.

Indeed!

Seems like one has excessively overestimated the potential.

Due to the schedule only flights to and from Chiang Mai and one flight from Don Mueang to Mae Sot.

That was as shortlived adventure,

I flew with them from Khon Kaen to U-Tapao on June 2nd.

Flight and service were OK.

BUT! I already had a feeling that this will not last long.

15 (!) passengers on a 66 seater.

RIP or temporary/seasonal?

On the schedule page they still advertise the U-Tapao connections like to be opened?

When you try to book: just showing the contact telephone number.

Edited by KhunBENQ

• 4 weeks later...

An update on the sudden stopping of flights.

From two sources, one being a phone call of a German journalist with Kan Air, the other being the "other English newspaper" (which forbids links to it from TV).

These maniacs had not applied for regular permits for scheduled flights.

Instead they mocked them as charter flights!

They got caught by the respective government agency and the flights were forbidden.

Whether and when they will get regular permits is open.

Search the other newspaper for Kan Air.

i take kan air after my visa in laos , khon kaen chiang mai , just perfect 990b 1h fight , spagetti or pork basil rice , got freat seat but the flight was quite full

if i need to use again i will

• 2 months later...

I recently flew Kan (ATR-72) from Chiang Mai to Hua Hin (Aug/Sept)

Cannot fault the on-board service, including the choice of meals. The aircraft was clean and comfortable and left on time both trips and arrived a little early also.

I was lucky enough to buy my return ticket for their promo price of 990B each way.

On both flights, the plane was roughly half full, so most individual travellers had the luxury of an empty seat beside them

As others have mentioned, their respective flights were also far from full and I hope this doesn't impact on services in the future if deemed unviable.

I would not hesitate recommending Kan Air and will use them again in the near future, although I suspect a lot of their promo fares are currently on hold

as they try to make some money. Even at 1990B each way, I perceive that as good value and am happy to book again at that price.

Aircraft after landing at Hua Hin.post-228236-0-32943600-1442146516_thumb.

Daughter has got Ubon-Chiang Mai booked at 990 THB, obviously a bargain compared to other routes and a great time saver. Time will tell. :-)

And she flew it this week, no probs. Was the ATR pictured above and it was pretty full, given the lack of alternatives for this route it doesn't surprise me.