Transmission Whine

Oziex1

The transmission on my old Suzuki step is whining quite loudly, anyone know where to start.

The gears in the small gear case at the rear axle were replaced some time back although I'm not sure if all were replaced or not.

I hear many automatic transmission scooters whining from the drive line is the source more likely to be the V belt and pullies or the gears in the gearbox at the rear axle?

When I first came to live in LOS I bought a second hand Fino. They must have put something in the little gearbox at the rear wheel as it wasn't bad when I tested it but it got really bad really quickly. So I took it in to Yamaha thinking it was a 2-3000 baht job.......the bloody thing ended up costing me 5900! Everything had to be replaced.

Hopefully Suzuki is a bit cheaper to fix!

I hear many automatic transmission scooters whining from the drive line is the source more likely to be the V belt and pullies or the gears in the gearbox at the rear axle?

Lack of lubrication caused by not changing the gear-case oil or incorrect oil put in? sad.png

Edited by VocalNeal

OK so I removed the belt cover and found the area covered in transmission oil, leaking from the input shaft seal, this either was not replaced or was damaged in the original rebuild of the rear gearbox. Although I checked the oil level occasionally all I was seeing was a little residue on the dip stick, causing me to believe there was oil in the gear box.

It was not completely dry of oil so maybe there is some hope it will be ok.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

OK so I removed the belt cover and found the area covered in transmission oil, leaking from the input shaft seal, this either was not replaced or was damaged in the original rebuild of the rear gearbox. Although I checked the oil level occasionally all I was seeing was a little residue on the dip stick, causing me to believe there was oil in the gear box.

I would agree with that, although it will shorten the life of the gearbox and may still make a little noise, a new oil seal and fill up should do the job.

Good luck

PS Check the oil level regularly for a few weeks following this repair, it has been know for Thai mechanics to screw up the fitting of an oil seal, or the seating may have been damaged.

I would agree with that, although it will shorten the life of the gearbox and may still make a little noise, a new oil seal and fill up should do the job.

Good luck

PS Check the oil level regularly for a few weeks following this repair, it has been know for Thai mechanics to screw up the fitting of an oil seal, or the seating may have been damaged.

Thanks AB , I'll do the work myself it's a simple task and I have some experience in mechanics, just wasn't familiar with the auto drive on these bikes.

So the next question is where can I get Suzuki parts in Issan, I go to a small shop in Kaset Sombon pretty good generally but cant supply the circlips and shims I require to finish off the transmission.

For anyone interested shims were missing, I also reported that I found no oil in the gearbox not true I poked a stick up the oil drain hole and out it came it was blocked by the remains of a collapsed bearing not cleaned out when rebuilt last year. If you want it done right, you know the rest.

You can get Suzuki parts from

Nano motors they will send to your door by EMS

บริษัทนาโนมอเตอร์ จำกัด
เลขที่ 1/149-152
หมู่ที่ 11 ถนนพระราม 2
แขวงบางมด เขตจอมทอง
กทม.10150

02-8742993-4
090-3087742

Suzuki Step engine workshop manual.

เครื่องยนต์.pdf

เครื่องยนต์.pdf

You can get Suzuki parts from

Nano motors they will send to your door by EMS

บริษัทนาโนมอเตอร์ จำกัด

เลขที่ 1/149-152

หมู่ที่ 11 ถนนพระราม 2

แขวงบางมด เขตจอมทอง

กทม.10150

02-8742993-4

090-3087742

Suzuki Step engine workshop manual.

attachicon.gifเครื่องยนต์.pdf

Thanks Johng do they have a website or email address do they speak english?

They do have a website and e-mail ,both of which are of no real use.

http://suzukinanomotor50.igetweb.com/index.php

You'll need to find the part numbers for the bits you want ( sorry I don't have the parts manual )

and get some one on the phone to speak Thai to them you then transfer money to their bank account ( their company named bank account) they send parts by EMS in a couple of days.

I used them a few times they had everything I needed and delivered quickly only 1 mistake with a wrong part.

Edited by johng