Average cost of living comfortably?

Ayutthaya11

You can indeed live on 30k/month. I do it now (trying to bide time until pension annuities are available in a few years). Apartment/Condo in Lat Phrao: $7500 / Food $6500 (local vendors some Tesco/Big C) / Health Insurance : $ 4500 / Commuting: $2700: Total for basics: $21,200. Some for emergencies left over. And Yes I do have a Thai GF who tells me I spend way too much every month....(she is a keeper) and we go out a couple of times a week: maybe $5000/month. So it is doable but you have to stop thinking like a westerner....no soapy massages, no booze, etc etc. I am enjoying life and it will be that much better when my pension comes due since I know how to live here.

Really appreciate your post, esp the more realistic rent figure, but what's with the dollar signs ? Confusing enough for folk from other countries reading these threads - can we stick to baht, please ?

• Like 2

Check out D&D properties you should be able to find a very good place to rent for 15,000 baht. Go to 20,000 if you want. lease for 6 month so you can be flexable to wear you go next. You do not have to spent huge money to rent , I only pay 11,000 baht a month but i am 50 km north of Pattaya.

Ban suray just to the south of Jomtein has some very nice condo's along the shore line, Bang Saen Beach to the north of Pattaya about 45km.

• Like 1

...........You must take into consideration the weather. The rainy season is coming up quickly. You will not be

traveling much due to the rain. I would seriously think of moving to higher ground away from Bangkok. I think 2000 baht a day is a bit high. Buy your own beer by the case is cheaper than in a bar one bottle at a time.

I guess you want to live a short life............well you definitely have come to the right place. Want to be a rich little playboy? You've come to the right place. Looking for work part time, need a work permit. Bring with you all educational certificates, Diplomas, an Letters of Recommendations. Thailand is now requiring proof of teaching skills. And be careful, keep your money safe in a bank. Since your going to do some bar hopping, don't blab your mouth around strangers about your money. There are a lot of scammers on the street that love to get you involved with their scams. Don't be a patsy in Bangkok or Pattaya.

Your an easy pray. They dangle a little sex at you, and your ready to swing from the highest tree. Be especially careful with he/she groups. Never buy a beer openned already in a bar. Open it yourself. Then keep an eye on any drinks to make sure it isn't spiked with a drug. Do not take girls to your room you've only met 1 or 2 hours ago. Do not trust night life people. They are there to make money period, and to separate you from your wallet.

I've been here for over 6 years, and off and on for over 30 years. I've seen all the scams, and rip off routines

in the bars. Do not run a tab in the bar. Pay as you go. They love to add on the tab things you didn't order. Don't be fooled by woman that ask you to buy them a drink. Thats how they make money. When they approach you do not let them sit down next to you. They get paid for their time hustling drinks from you. And the bar expect to get paid by you for their time. Do not hire a taxi to take you from bar to bar. They will hustle

you as well. Always keep your guard up. Keep large bills separate from small change. keep your wallet in your front pocket. don't allow girls to sit in your lap. Keep your distance. Especially when two or more are near you, rubbing your back lags shoulders. This is when pickpockets do their magic.

Always ask the price of a drink before you order it. A 70 baht beer might be 200 baht if you don't. Know your limit when drinking. Don't be part of an on going party. Things will unexpectedly happen. BE STREET WISE!

I hope I have given you some advise that will make your Thai exposure a little more enjoyable and not become another victim. Far to many foreigners come to Thailand looking for that special girl, but you will not

find them in a bar, or walking the streets at night. Realize it is a fake illusion of piece and tranquility. It's all a business, and you are their customer/ next victim!

Edited by Daniel Ingalls
  • Like 1

Did you happen to notice the word 'comfortably' in the title, chief ? What part of 'comfortable' do you equate with the conditions you've just described ?

He also said "sensible". What does that mean? 100K is outside of most people's definition of sensible, but I acknowledged as much in my post that this would be a subjective assessment. I think you can live sensibly on 30-40K. You obviously don't. Neither is wrong, they're predicated on two different definitions of comfortable/sensible.

Thus far, in 34 posts the word "beer" has appeared 13 times. I'm clearly using a different definition of 'sensible' than are others. I don't include girls and travelling in my assessment because that's not part of sensible, that's part of "fun".

Edited by attrayant

The Government requirement for anyone staying here longer term is 65k per month, that is about the nearest and best guide you will get in my opinion.

I also suggest you read similar threads such as this; http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/808975-how-much-do-i-need-to-retire-in-thailand-with-a-fairly-high-standard-of-living/

• Like 1

...........You must take into consideration the weather. The rainy season is coming up quickly. You will not be

traveling much due to the rain. I would seriously think of moving to higher ground away from Bangkok. I think 2000 baht a day is a bit high. Buy your own beer by the case is cheaper than in a bar one bottle at a time.

I guess you want to live a short life............well you definitely have come to the right place. Want to be a rich little playboy? You've come to the right place. Looking for work part time, need a work permit. Bring with you all educational certificates, Diplomas, an Letters of Recommendations. Thailand is now requiring proof of teaching skills. And be careful, keep your money safe in a bank. Since your going to do some bar hopping, don't blab your mouth around strangers about your money. There are a lot of scammers on the street that love to get you involved with their scams. Don't be a patsy in Bangkok or Pattaya.

Your an easy pray. They dangle a little sex at you, and your ready to swing from the highest tree. Be especially careful with he/she groups. Never buy a beer openned already in a bar. Open it yourself. Then keep an eye on any drinks to make sure it isn't spiked with a drug. Do not take girls to your room you've only met 1 or 2 hours ago. Do not trust night life people. They are there to make money period, and to separate you from your wallet.

I've been here for over 6 years, and off and on for over 30 years. I've seen all the scams, and rip off routines

in the bars. Do not run a tab in the bar. Pay as you go. They love to add on the tab things you didn't order. Don't be fooled by woman that ask you to buy them a drink. Thats how they make money. When they approach you do not let them sit down next to you. They get paid for their time hustling drinks from you. And the bar expect to get paid by you for their time. Do not hire a taxi to take you from bar to bar. They will hustle

you as well. Always keep your guard up. Keep large bills separate from small change. keep your wallet in your front pocket. don't allow girls to sit in your lap. Keep your distance. Especially when two or more are near you, rubbing your back lags shoulders. This is when pickpockets do their magic.

Always ask the price of a drink before you order it. A 70 baht beer might be 200 baht if you don't. Know your limit when drinking. Don't be part of an on going party. Things will unexpectedly happen. BE STREET WISE!

I hope I have given you some advise that will make your Thai exposure a little more enjoyable and not become another victim. Far to many foreigners come to Thailand looking for that special girl, but you will not

find them in a bar, or walking the streets at night. Realize it is a fake illusion of piece and tranquility. It's all a business, and you are their customer/ next victim!

I think anyone reading this will have changed their minds about moving to Thailand. Sounds like your having a whale of a time.

Bars and girls .

• Like 1

The answer is easier than the question. That's why the " how long is a piece of string" came up. "Comfortable" is subjective. Also where you live is a factor. What your hobbies, lifestyle, and how you lived back home all come in to play. Even if you were asking the same question about England it's hard to give a general answer, since I'm sure London is more expensive than some small village, and comfortable has a different meaning to everyone.

The easist way I can think of to answer this question is this, (but keep in mind I'm from the US and think in dollars). Whatever you were living on back home you can do it for 30-35% if you keep the same lifestyle.

Again, that goes for the US. Maybe a British expat can chime in on the percentages for the UK.

One thing is for sure, you have enough money to last three months if you do it right. :)

Edited by bushdoctor

The answer is easier than the question. That's why the " how long is a piece of string" came up. "Comfortable" is subjective. Also where you live is a factor. What your hobbies, lifestyle, and how you lived back home all come in to play. Even if you were asking the same question about England it's hard to give a general answer, since I'm sure London is more expensive than some small village, and comfortable has a different meaning to everyone.

The easist way I can think of to answer this question is this, (but keep in mind I'm from the US and think in dollars). Whatever you were living on back home you can do it for 30-35% if you keep the same lifestyle.

Again, that goes for the US. Maybe a British expat can chime in on the percentages for the UK.

One thing is for sure, you have enough money to last three months if you do it right. smile.png

Whatever you were living on back home you can do it for 30-35% if you keep the same lifestyle.

Really?

If the OP wants to keep the same lifestyle as back home: foods, wine/alcohol, clothing, vehicle, entertainment it won't be 35%.

It won't even be 135%. More like 150%. In the venues the OP is considering, even the rent and quality medical care isn't cheaper, and the other items are higher.

I'm not sure if you understand what I'm saying. We don't know his lifestyle. If he lives on $10,000 a month he could get by on $3500. If he lives on $3000 he could get by one $1000. Again, this is true for a US/Thai comparison.

Regardless, I can't see where living in Thailand would cost him 150% more than living in the UK, if he keeps the same lifestyle.

Edited by bushdoctor

It all is up to all the EXTRA (=Expensive) stuff (read partying + stupidities) you will be doing.

I live comfortable in Pattaya for between 25000-30000 baht per month, all included (rent and such), including 5-6-7 drinking drunk days.

But I understand most farangs could not handle that and would spend these amounts per week, and still say they are not living comfortable.

Outside of Bangkok this post makes complete sense. All the talk about ex-pats spending 100,000 per month is wishful thinking for many, most retired expats do not spend anything like that amount. Use the bar scene sensibly and don't get caught in paying for 'families' etc. and you should not have any problems. I do know many teachers outside of Bangkok earning less than 30,000 per month and still survive with a reasonable life style. I have a good income but choose not to waste my money every month and try to keep a budget of less than 40,000/month and still have a very good lifestyle with all my needs satisfied.

• Like 2

Let's give you a real estimate. I've been living in BKK for 6 months and my MONTHLY budget is 50000baht. That covers everything ( rent [1 br 70 sq m apt], water, electricity, food and groceries, my spending money, my girlfriend's spending money, BUPA health insurance and golf once per week), and I usually have a couple of thousand left over to put aside for emergencies when I have quiet weeks with little spending. I guess the fact that I'm a non drinker and don't need to pay for bar girls helps.

• Like 1

Just a word of caution, if you intend on staying a little while, perhaps you have Health or travel insurance ? many of those DONT cover riding motorcycles, so if that's in your plan, unless adequately insured dont go near one. A spill on a motorcycle and the subsequent bills from the hospital could wipe you out financially.

Medical care here is expensive, be warned, be careful and dont risk it.

• Like 1

2000 baht a day is adequate if you eat mainly Thai food, don't overdo the drinking and avoid Thai women. Eating falang food is quite expensive, ditto women (wasn't suggesting eating them, apologies for the ambiguity). Food in the local markets is a lot cheaper than restaurants or supermarkets. Learn as much Thai as you can, it does save money. Get to know Thai prices vs falang price.

If you own a car or rent a scooter, that has an impact on the budget.

Probably 75,000 to 100,000 baht per month is a more realistic figure for enjoyable living.

It is possible to live on 1000 baht a day. I know one guy in CM who was living on 1000 baht a week before his pension came, but that was a very limited existence.

• Like 1

How long is a piece of string?

You can spend money fast here or slow.. its up to you.

Easier for you to figure out your budget .. then find place etc.

Try and line up a job before coming.. as if you are here for 3 months jobless you will burn through your money fast.

What do you do for work? are you a teacher back home?

Well I was just looking for an average. Back home I do private tuition part time.

Immigration says 65K baht a month, the minimum for retirement visa. This figures out to be about 2000 baht a day. If you can rent a room for about 10k a month (350/day), 3-500 a day for food and the rest for transport and entertainment, you can exist on less. When I first moved here 12 years ago I rented a room in a hotel for 7000 a month and figured I lived on about 31,000 a month. I didn't feel deprived. Twelve years later it will be around 40,000 a month.

• Like 1

WOW presumably you don't spend a lot on buying drinks for your friends either ?

well...all common good sense advice. If you are going to hang in the bars you better keep your wits about you. Or your money will disappear quite quickly.

I spend 10k on rent, 10k on food, 10k on bills and visa etc and then 10k on rest of the stuff you cant get away from. And then there is maybe 10 more for the fun stuff. I think this is reasonable, unless you have unreasonably high expectations and want an immensely higher standard of living compared to back home. So it adds up to 50 k baht and this leaves room for a lot of comfort in my opinion. I used to live on half that, when just being in Thailand and enjoying the people and the weather was enough for me.

Edited by Kaalle
  • Like 1

It all is up to all the EXTRA (=Expensive) stuff (read partying + stupidities) you will be doing.

I live comfortable in Pattaya for between 25000-30000 baht per month, all included (rent and such), including 5-6-7 drinking drunk days.

But I understand most farangs could not handle that and would spend these amounts per week, and still say they are not living comfortable.

including 5-6-7 drinking drunk days?? I think you should be more concerned about your obvious drink problem, than

how much you can afford to live on.

• Like 1

So, the correct advice given is, all depends! That does not help much, I suppose. Finished playing with last year's numbers as a result of income tax reporting. So, best I can do is reflect my budget. I am comfortable but certainly not able to just blow the baht away. I retired to Thailand, in part, due to being able to live better here financially. My monthly fixed costs for 2014 - phone 450/ wife phone 450/ TV Sat 400/ 3BBB 630/ condo maint. fee 900/ wife cash 17,000/ electric 950/ Ret. VISA Ext. 950/ car tax 90/ car ins 1000/ MB tax 40/ MB Ins 60. So, fixed costs 22,920 per month average, leaving me 41080 for food, etc. I own my 100 sq meter condo so no rent.

Hope this helps.

Edited by wwest5829
  • Like 1

Let's give you a real estimate. I've been living in BKK for 6 months and my MONTHLY budget is 50000baht. That covers everything ( rent [1 br 70 sq m apt], water, electricity, food and groceries, my spending money, my girlfriend's spending money, BUPA health insurance and golf once per week), and I usually have a couple of thousand left over to put aside for emergencies when I have quiet weeks with little spending. I guess the fact that I'm a non drinker and don't need to pay for bar girls helps.

What about if you have a proper girlfriend who has her own job and her own money ?

How much does your girlfriend cost you each month. Knock the cost off the 50,000 and that would be your real estimate.

One thing is for sure, you have enough money to last three months if you do it right. smile.png

Whatever you were living on back home you can do it for 30-35% if you keep the same lifestyle.

Really?

If the OP wants to keep the same lifestyle as back home: foods, wine/alcohol, clothing, vehicle, entertainment it won't be 35%.

It won't even be 135%. More like 150%. In the venues the OP is considering, even the rent and quality medical care isn't cheaper, and the other items are higher.

I would say count 70-80k Baht / month if you plan to live alone and be reasonable about going out (bars, disco, ...). Now mark my words: if you plan to get a thai girlfriend/wife you are extremely likely to need to double (or close to it) that amount unless she is mature woman has a good job with over average earnings, notions about foreign mentality and no greedy family behind. The most important is being able to keep active (work) and your head cool, which is not that easy.

Good luck :-)

• Like 1

I would say Baht 2000 per day is plenty but not including rent. For Baht 2000 you can eat well, have a few drinks every day and still have a laugh or two with the girls in the bar beer. But going back to some dingy little room every night will be soul destroying so rent a decent place to stay even if it cuts into your daily allowance.

Plus if your staying in a decent place you might find yourself a nice girl and then the pair of you will still get by on your daily allowance because whatever we pay they pay less or get more for the same money.

• Like 1

I did make came consideration and the original poster. Going to Thailand for three times a year for the last 10 years, now I consider moving there after early retirement. Using 5000 bath + per day during holiday, how much is a realistic budget for staying three months?

You can find a room for 5000 bath/month; but not easy to get for short term rental. Most rental are for 6 months plus - minumum 3 months. And rent increase by 50% if you have short term. My best investment was a monthly membership at Tony fitness at 1780 bath (soi Buakhao), keep med from drinking before 6 pm. I did end up with around 2300 per day + hotel = 70.000 per month ex. room. If you get a reasonable room, add 10.000 to give you a monthly budget of 80.000 bath. One thing that I did experience; it is very difficult to change habit from vacation mode to "long-stay" mode if you stay only 3 months. I tend to keep same habits as before even though you drink less, you need the social part of going to a bar and meet other people. If you are not an internet-dependant; in which case you do not need to go to Thailand to fullfill that need.

A friend do have long stay at 1500 bath per day, including cheap room at 6500 per month, motorbike and and beer/girl maybe once a week, eating cheap out only once a day. It can be done at 45.000 per month.

About health insurance - you should have. But check condtions, I had a friend have with insurance covering motorbike accident. Insurance company were happy to take money for that cover, he had accident but (after accident) insurance was not valid because he did not have internation/local driver license. Check conditions,

• Like 1

I spend 6 months in ubon which is cheap but if you live correctly pattaya can be cheaper. I don't have a crazy life style, I got to the gym, swimming, relax a lot, I go out at the weekend to watch the football and sometimes pop out in the week for a couple of beers, I give myself a budget of 5/6000 baht per week. My room is approx 5000 per month which I go halves with the gf, health insurance I pay before I leave uk. If you want to go boozing and chasing women every night there's no way you'd survive on my budget but depends what sort of life you want.

• Like 1

Someone suggested 100,000 Baht. a month might be a good average. If my maths are correct that's 25,000 a week. Herself and meself. along with our 24 bains could swan it up real good on that there type a dosh

Edited by dotpoom
  • Like 1

You can do it on $1,000 usd a month.32,500 baht.

#1 Rent 7,000 baht +- 500 includes elec water

#2 Food includes a drink/tea water etc 6,000 baht 3x 66 baht meals a daycoffee1.gif

#3 Beer 3,000 baht 5 a day X10 days @60 baht eachwub.png

#4 Laundry 500 baht

#5 tv/internet 800 baht

#6 Date night 2,000 2 times @month 1,000 a Wack giggle.gif

#7 Transpo baht bus 600

#8 impulse buys snacks 900 baht Cold coconut,ice coffee vendor, fruit

#9 miscellaneous 1,500 soap,bread,soy sauce,candy,butter,sugar,cups,toilet paper,shampoo,drinking water,TOOTH PASTE,CLEANIG SUPPLY

#10 2 movies 220

#11 new hat tee shirt 300 baht

#12 phone 350 baht

#13 Street Charity homless,monk,old lady 300 bahts

#14 HAIR CUT 2X MONTH =200 BAHT

#15 cheese burger-pizza-fries 2x a 250 month =500

#16 Helping a friend/neighbor out once a month 500

# 17 6,000 baht left over for more beer.

• Like 1

30 or 40k for apt and basic food will do but the night life and girls will drain you dry quickly. Try to take a break a few days a week and relax. You can save up your energy and money for a few good nights out on the town.

Be careful riding motorbikes as they can land you in the hospital with huge bills. Jet-skis and other ripe offs are also to be avoided .

Have fun !

• Like 1