Average cost of living comfortably?

Ayutthaya11

Especially at first your costs will be much higher than when you've settled down.

For the first half year or so I'd budget at least 100.000 THB a month. Depending on your life style you may settle for a bit less after that.

Thanks, I have a budget of 250,000 for the 3 months averaging at just over 2000 baht per day after bills etc after looking into cheap condos. I know I won't be able to live it up or anything major but looking for work will be one of my priorities so that will fill my days.

I believe 100,000 per month is ridiculously high.

You should be able to find a very acceptable apartment for 15,000 per month or less (you did say you were not going to be in central Bangkok). Food should run you about 10,000 per month. Utilities typically will run about 5,000 (air, water, internet, cable TV, phone). That adds up to 30,000 per month. Of course, you will want to get around (taxi/motocy), you'll need toilet paper, shampoo, tooth paste, snacks, smokes, etc. But that should all fit comfortably within 10K or 15K. If you need to spend more than 50,000 per month, I would be surprised. Note that this does not include "party" money. In my experience, 40,000 per month is the basis, then add on what you would spend for entertainment.

• Like 1

Might be a good time to restate a couple of the OP's parameters:

- I have a budget of 250,000 for the 3 months averaging at just over 2000 baht per day after bills etc after looking into cheap condos

- I will be living in either Ayutthaya, outskirts of Bangkok or Pattaya. Still haven't made my mind up yet.

- I just wanted to get an idea or an average on how to more or less live just slightly more comfortable than the average Thai per day and enjoy the weekends

- my purpose is to familiarise myself more with the culture and language and look into work (teaching English) opportunities.

- back home I do private tuition part time

OP, before we go any further, can you clarify two things for me:

- how serious is the 'find work teaching English' plan ?

- do you have formal teaching qualifications and experience in a classroom in front of a large number of students ?

Apologies if you've already covered this, but depending on your answers to the above I think this becomes a very different question to the one many of us assume you were asking. Absolutely no point signing a lease on anything until you've determined what course(s) you need to complete and been offered a job - that's very different to the assumption that you can simply lob in Pattaya or wherever and slide into 'semi-retirement' mode. I have no problem with an estimate of ~60K a month after you've paid your rent, but that's considerably more than most TEFLers here earn, even with your nestegg taken into account.

A couple of us have already made the point that your initial costs are likely to be higher than what it will cost you per month once you are established, but the cost of a TEFL course and the need to change visas etc cant be under-estimated. There are also timing issues if you plan to work in the Thai education system, but all of those issues are better addressed in the Teaching in Thailand forum. I suspect that the days of every Tom, Dick and Harry landing in Thailand and waltzing into a teaching gig are long past - hopefully you knew that before you found ThaiVisa.

Its possible to drink yourself silly for four hours on Thonglor for 600 Baht.

You guys don't know diddly squat!

Bwahahahaha

yep, just like everything else, if your complaining about prices, you need to downgrade until your drinking the least expensive drink on the menu.

a lot of guys here end up with a strong case of entitlement like they deserve the best of everything, then complain. its either rose colored glasses stuff, ego being stroked by the thais, or an emotional immaturity. it could also be from getting laid all the time which they are not used to and cant handle it.

Talk about cutting to the chase! laugh.png

That's the brutal reality.

I'm not talking about the cheapest drinks on the menu....this place serves some nice food too....offers a choice of several drinks at the price and has the football on the TV.

Nice mix of Thais and the odd Westerner too.....you just have to be a bit savvy about where you drink!

- I have a budget of 250,000 for the 3 months averaging at just over 2000 baht per day after bills etc after looking into cheap condos

- I will be living in either Ayutthaya, outskirts of Bangkok or Pattaya. Still haven't made my mind up yet.

- I just wanted to get an idea or an average on how to more or less live just slightly more comfortable than the average Thai per day and enjoy the weekends

- my purpose is to familiarise myself more with the culture and language and look into work (teaching English) opportunities.

- do you have formal teaching qualifications and experience in a classroom in front of a large number of students ?

Apologies if you've already covered this, but depending on your answers to the above I think this becomes a very different question to the one many of us assume you were asking. Absolutely no point signing a lease on anything until you've determined what course(s) you need to complete and been offered a job - that's very different to the assumption that you can simply lob in Pattaya or wherever and slide into 'semi-retirement' mode. I have no problem with an estimate of ~60K a month after you've paid your rent, but that's considerably more than most TEFLers here earn, even with your nestegg taken into account.

A couple of us have already made the point that your initial costs are likely to be higher than what it will cost you per month once you are established, but the cost of a TEFL course and the need to change visas etc cant be under-estimated. There are also timing issues if you plan to work in the Thai education system, but all of those issues are better addressed in the Teaching in Thailand forum. I suspect that the days of every Tom, Dick and Harry landing in Thailand and waltzing into a teaching gig are long past - hopefully you knew that before you found ThaiVisa.

The topic is the amount to live comfortably. If I find work I find work and if I don't then it just doesn't bother me whatsoever really. All I know is I will be staying there a minimum of 3 months to be able to come back at some point and say I enjoyed my time there.

I have had no problem getting by decently on 2000 USD a month or just over 60,000 baht. Light drinker, see a few local sites each week (nong nooch type of things), eat a mix of Thai street food, German food, Sunday Carvery, etc. HIt a few go gos during the week to have a look see. A few oil or foot massaged each week. Pretty much just relax. Hit the beach, hit Jomtien or ko larn. I typically rent by the week even though I stay for several weeks. I often move around a bit between cities. If you are staying in the same place and can rent by the month you can save quite a bit more.

• Like 1

You should be able to find a very acceptable apartment for 15,000 per month or less (you did say you were not going to be in central Bangkok). Food should run you about 10,000 per month. Utilities typically will run about 5,000 (air, water, internet, cable TV, phone). That adds up to 30,000 per month.

Many hotels or guest houses will give you a steep discount if you commit to a monthly (30 day) stay. While a hotel/guest house stay might not be as cosy as an apartment stay many of the following costs would be covered: housing, food (breakfast), aircon, water, internet, TV. You might even get some amenities like security, a pool, and maid service. Cash is king - especially in the off season.

For a relatively short 3 month stay this is the route I would likely consider. Maybe look for an efficiency unit with a basic kitchen setup if you are interesting in cooking some for yourself. You are only committed month to month and can always be on the lookout for something better/different.

SunLover

• Like 1

The topic is the amount to live comfortably. If I find work I find work and if I don't then it just doesn't bother me whatsoever really. All I know is I will be staying there a minimum of 3 months to be able to come back at some point and say I enjoyed my time there.

Have you noticed you are getting answers that are all over the charts? The problem may be the lack of clarity In your original question. When you first posed the question it sounded as if you we're looking for actual living expenses of someone NOT in vacation mode. Now it seems to be tilted more towards having a good time. As I said earlier, the question is harder than the answer. You need to state exactly what you want to know in order to get a proper answer.

• Like 1

Have you noticed you are getting answers that are all over the charts? The problem may be the lack of clarity In your original question. When you first posed the question it sounded as if you we're looking for actual living expenses of someone NOT in vacation mode. Now it seems to be tilted more towards having a good time. As I said earlier, the question is harder than the answer. You need to state exactly what you want to know in order to get a proper answer.

Average cost of living comfortably. Living comfortably can also include a few blow outs.

It can, and I think I know what you're asking. You have enough money to last but you will need to budget it out. The more money, the better. You could literally spend your three month allotment in a few weeks without much effort.

It can, and I think I know what you're asking. You have enough money to last but you will need to budget it out. The more money, the better. You could literally spend your three month allotment in a few weeks without much effort.

Been there and done that too many times. I'm just trying to work out an average on a whole then put the budget to the worst case scenario.

Having read these posts I think 2000 baht spending money per day is quite adequate.

Thanks anyway.

So your claim is that Thiland is more expensive to live in than the UK? Ok my friend, if you say so.

No, that is not what we were discussing. We were discussing same lifestyles. Your words, by the way.

Yes, living the same lifestyle as back home, item for item, will cost more in Bangkok and Pattaya, than in the west.

1 person to live comfortably I think is 40,000 baht.

2 people is 60,000 baht, because things are so inexpensive here, but you still do not want to hear your wife, girl, or ladyboy tell you that you are cheap. MyThai ladyboy told me I was cheap once, it comes down to spend 3,00-5,00 more baht per month OR be lonely and unhappy. Money is nothing hear. I rent a 67 square meter 1 bedroom condo with cable, electric and water for 11,300/month, that is $347.00 in US Dollars. Plan for extra money, and keep everyone happy. Remember food is cheap. The 2 of us eat for 500 baht. 2 people to go to a new movie at Central Airport Mall in Chiang Mai is 200 baht, $ 6.00 USD. In US that same movie for 2 will cost you $22.00 in expensive cities like NY, LA, DC, Seattle, and Chicago. Plan for extra cheap expenses.

• Like 2

Bwahahahaha

Buying 12 bottles of Leo and drinking them outside 7-11 on the pavement isn't my idea of fun.

Fwiw, my rough numbers for planning are:

- Rent ฿21,000

- Groceries ฿12,000

- Utilities ฿4,000

- Phone/Internet/TV ฿3,000

- Transport ฿2,000

- Misc (Insurance, Visa etc...) ฿15,000

- Entertainment ฿43,000 (or whatever's left)

Nb. I've set myself a budget of £2,000/s$4,000 per month so the ฿100,000 above is currently more like ฿95,000 so the "Entertainment budget" will need to be adjusted accordingly, not so important for a 3 month stay (though the same budget was around ฿120,000 a few months ago) but certainly something to allow for if you plan on staying longer term & rely on income/savings outside of Thailand.

• Like 1

- Rent ฿21,000

- Groceries ฿12,000

- Utilities ฿4,000

- Transport ฿2,000

Nb. I've set myself a budget of £2,000/s$4,000 per month so the ฿100,000 above is currently more like ฿95,000 so the "Entertainment budget" will need to be adjusted accordingly, not so important for a 3 month stay (though the same budget was around ฿120,000 a few months ago) but certainly something to allow for if you plan on staying longer term & rely on income/savings outside of Thailand.

If only I could buy 2 dollars for 1 Pound. I'd be backing the truck up. :)

Bwahahahaha

Buying 12 bottles of Leo and drinking them outside 7-11 on the pavement isn't my idea of fun.

I told you already....its an air con bar 1 min walk from Thonglor.

Try to read the posts before commenting!

• Like 1

- Rent ฿21,000

- Groceries ฿12,000

- Utilities ฿4,000

- Transport ฿2,000

If only I could buy 2 dollars for 1 Pound. I'd be backing the truck up. :)

Sorry, I'm used to the "s" in front of the $ indicating that its Singapore dollar.... (Around 2.03 SGD to 1GBP but I wouldn't be in any hurry to back the truck up [emoji4])

Edit: to clarify.... I quoted GBP & SGD as I'm from the UK & all my passive income is from there but for the past 6 1/2 years was working in Singapore & for the past 3 or so, saving 1/2 my salary in the bank there to fund my early retirement.

My thinking is, when (if!) the GBP is strong, I'll use money from UK, if the SGD is strong(er), I'll use money from SG.

This is In no way to me being smart & planning this beforehand, it's just that's how it worked out & it makes no sense to me to repatriate the money to the UK only to spend it in Thailand.... (Unless the SGD falls back to the 1.8 it was a few years ago).

Edited by JB300

After all of my bills I never spend more than 30k a month in walking around money. Yes, that means that I spend a few hundred baht a day upcountry and a couple of thousand baht a day in BKK just on food and entertainment.

Note - I rarely have more than 4 or 5 beers a week and I never pay for "company"

Edit - upcountry accommodation is free. BKK accommodation is paid for. Bang Saray condo costs me 3900/mo mortgage and 1000/mo association fee.

Car is paid for. Motorcycles are paid for.....

Edited by jdinasia
  • Like 1

Bwahahahaha

I told you already....its an air con bar 1 min walk from Thonglor.

Try to read the posts before commenting!

Same same, Pattanakarn, Srinakarin, Lat Prao and Ram.

Added bonus, plenty of NON P4P company.

• Like 1

Especially at first your costs will be much higher than when you've settled down.

For the first half year or so I'd budget at least 100.000 THB a month. Depending on your life style you may settle for a bit less after that.

Thanks, I have a budget of 250,000 for the 3 months averaging at just over 2000 baht per day after bills etc after looking into cheap condos. I know I won't be able to live it up or anything major but looking for work will be one of my priorities so that will fill my days.

Good luck getting a work permit for 2 or 3 months.

just over 2000 baht per day after bills etc after looking into cheap condos. I know I won't be able to live it up or anything major

Seriously? Thais earn on average about 9 to 10 thousand a MONTH, and they seem to manage.