Suspect’s father begs forgiveness for son’s brutality

Thaivisa News

Hope the judge gets carried away with rage when handing out the sentence.

Hopefully, the judge exercises the law within the boundaries of statute and without resorting to emotional malice and a vengeful disposition.

As heinous as this crime was, rage in sentencing is as morally reprehensible as the vicious crime itself.

I'm not Thai and certainly not in charge.

A man is dead at the hands of a creature beyond description. Let the law handle the sentence without my emotional outburst.

Set the victim on fire! No mercy. Father, you have a monster evil son. End of story.

Yes, he has a monster son and the girl must also be a monster. But the part of this story that breaks my heart if true is this:

A passer-by alerted the rescue workers and police to put out the fire.

Are there no "Good Samaritans" left in the world. What difference might it have made had the passer-by tried to put out the fire. I guess the only positive thing is that he/she apparently didn't stop to make a video.

Maybe the passer-by didn't have a blanket or hose handy.

Could have whipped the old fella I suppose but what do you do if you don't need a piss?

i told my self i would not use this word anymore, but then you came along, its ok to think something strange & in bad taste, but to actualy say it. ..... well that makes you retarded. ..... see ya made me do it. :-)

I can't even fathom the agony the victim went through...those two animals should be beaten and burned as punishment...provided they are found guilty of course...this IS Thailand...

The father of the perpetrator attended the victims funeral!!!!!!....... Only in Thailand.

...and that is wrong, because....?!

He came to apologize for what his son did, which to me seems like manning up for the horrible crime and begging forgiveness.

If it was heartfelt -which I tend to believe- it is a great gesture!

I don't think the issue is the attempted apology from the father, it is the attendance of the funeral which some find strange. To my mind, those who attend funerals should be those who loved the deceased who wish to say their goodbyes.

One thing is for sure, were it my son's funeral, invitees would not include my son's murderer nor the murderer's family. You must be kidding.

No, I must not be kidding!

Where does it say, he was invited?

He showed up, to plead forgiveness (and maybe -as it happens in this weird country- pay some money to the family) and I find this to be some kind of honorable.

I am not Thai and it is not my son, so I can not tell you, how I would feel about something like that.

But the father didn't do anything bad at all.

When I said, 'you must be kidding', I was speaking for myself and my own feelings on the idea of family of the murderer of my son attending my son's funeral. They would neither be invited nor welcome. If there is any time or place for pleading for forgiveness, save it for the court room, not for when I am saying my final goodbye.

As for it being an honorable thing to do, whilst I don't doubt that parents of a murderer do genuinely feel sorry for the actions of their child, I think that their actions are mostly driven by self interest. One, they are desperately scrambling to try and ensure the lightest sentence for their child, and two, they are trying to counter against any bad karma that might be coming their way. No doubt they'll be making plenty of temple visits over the next year or two as well to try and win back some good fortune.

Perhaps I'm being hard on the parents but I'm just putting myself in the shoes of the parents of the victim, and that is how I think I would feel. I wouldn't want anything to do with them.

I do have recent first hand experience knowing the parents of an accomplice to murder. Their main concern was, above all else, getting their son out of prison, and they did all they could to achieve this, including all the pleading for forgiveness business. Not saying they were heartless people, they weren't, but the person who was murdered was dead and there wasn't anything they could about that. And little Jimmy was still little Jimmy to them, not the heartless evil monster murderer he was to me and to most others I would guess. So they focused all their efforts on saving the life of their boy. It worked too. Out of prison now after only a few months detained and he has just started a family. Life has gone back to normal for him.

Makes me sick. Can't help but wonder how the victim's parents feel. Perhaps they are more forgiving people than me and harbour no bad feelings. Lucky for them if they do. There is a chance they can go on with their lives. For me I think it would be the end.

Edited by rixalex

The father of the perpetrator attended the victims funeral!!!!!!....... Only in Thailand.

It is the appropriate thing to do as it shows remorse, regret and shame. It also provides an opportunity for the victim family to heal and to achieve closure. In Thai culture, expressing one's remorse for a wrongful act and asking for forgiveness is an important part of the culture. Even I know that.

Despite our criticisms of Thai "civility", this is remarkably civil and is very similar to the Jewish custom, and shared with post Reformation Christian interpretations, that one must apologize to the victim and to ask for forgiveness. In the west, as Christianity became dominated by the Roman Catholic practices of purchasing dispensations or of "confession", the original Christian practice of taking responsibility was abandoned. The Reformation brought back the concept of personal responsibility for some western cultures.

So well said, much better than I could have said...!!

But is still is a monster that should never be on the street again.

Patchara’s father Pairat attended the funeral last night. He said he was sorry for his son’s act of cruelty and that as a father he could empathise with the loss of the victim’s father and mother.

I am so sorry for bearing a son that takes lives. I sort of forgot to impose any discipline on him, when we were raising him. Foreign friends of the family warned us this might happen. They told us when there is no discipline, nor limits imposed on children, some of them grow up without values, nor respect for life and limb. I sort of dropped the ball, as a father. My wife did the same as a mother, as she coddled our very special boy too much. Now, he has gone and killed someone. I am very sorry. Could you forgive him? Please. He got carried away.

Pic of the murderers:
kue9IIe.jpg
J4kpqE3.jpg

Pic of Gino, inset:
XlTmspT.jpg

Thairath reported both Thienchusak and Lansin are currently out on bail.
Police Colonel Wichian Prathumrat, Chief of Police at Krathum Baen Police Station, who's overseeing the case, said on the subject of bail, it's up to the courts and he can't interfere.

How in the world can they be out on bail ? They must be starting to pack their bags

for the classic runner to Cambodia. The father of the boy who was killed had better

figure out his own justice while this couple are still here. Or I suppose he could find

them in Thai town in Phnom Penh which must be packed at this point....

The lack of vengeance in Thai society gets me. When a hiso kills a peasant, what has the family of the dead got to lose if they go out and kill the hiso??

No society can have vengeance as it form of justice. There has to be a legal distemper in place for that.

Vengeance like violence if left unchecked only begets itself.

Give me good old fashioned law and order any day.

Surely the charge should be first degree Murder,(if Thailand has such a charge)

and not assault leading to death,as it was pre planned ,death penalty would be

too quick for these evil people ,after what the victim had to suffer.

regards Worgeordie

The lack of vengeance in Thai society gets me. When a hiso kills a peasant, what has the family of the dead got to lose if they go out and kill the hiso??

No society can have vengeance as it form of justice. There has to be a legal distemper in place for that.

Edit: What I meant but failed to say!

No society can have vengeance as its form of justice. There has to be a legal system in place for that.

"The father of the suspect said he would personally ensure his son’s punishment to the fullest extent of the law."

Not your job.

You know what his job is? It's certainly more appropriate for him to express his feelings the way he did than for you to weigh in with your nonsensical comment.

Setting somebody on fire with petrol.... No thought of the consequences...Thainess to the ex ex extreme

"Thainess to the ex ex extreme"

That comment, idiocy in the extreme.

Edited by Sviss Geez

>>Thairath reported both Thienchusak and Lansin are currently out on bail.<<

The burned a fellow human being alive and some crazy judge gives them bail??

No wonder, there is no respect for the law in this country!!

Edited by JOC

No society can have vengeance as its form of justice. There has to be a legal system in place for that.

"No society can have vengeance as its form of justice. There has to be a legal system in place for that.

Vengeance like violence if left unchecked only begets itself"

You hear members pontificate like this from time to time. "Vengeance" is a bad word and we must never allow that; "justice" is a good word and we hang our hats on it. The victim and his family here are apparently entitled to "justice", but not to "vengeance". I wonder what, in the minds of most, the actual difference really is. What is justice, really, beyond vengeance at the social level? If I or the crowd demand someone be taken to court for some alleged wrong, aren't I just asking the court to do "legally" what public law & "morality" say I can't do myself? When some sentence or other is carried out, we say with self-satisfaction that it's "in the public good" rather than a matter of revenge, but really... Lately, the events in Ferguson, MO demonstrate vividly that so many people are not only OK with, but loudly favor what we would in any other circumstance be calling mob vengeance, but in this case, it seems to be suddenly OK so the desires of the mob are magically elevated from "vengeance" status to "justice" status. And if a president, say, declares that he's going to refuse to enforce some duly legislated public law or other, hasn't "justice" then kind of taken a powder? What does that say to the individual that agreed in the social contract to "justice" over the now defunct right to "vengeance"?

Lots of us like to throw words like "vengeance" around for dramatic effect, and brag about our dedication to the "system of justice", but does that really much change the end result we'd like and are demanding to see imposed on a perp? Aren't we just trading in a hammer for a bigger hammer? And if we should happen to lose faith that the "system of justice" will arrive at the findings we desire (or even that the "majority" desires") and fail to impose the desired & expected punishments, does that somehow change the definitions of "justice" and "vengeance"? Or must we remain committed to the "system of justice", even if it doesn't produce the outcome we think is right? Here? In Ferguson? ??

What's justice, really, beyond socially imposed vengeance with a "system of justice" just being the added assurance that the accused actually is guilty of the crime? If we have no doubt on the matter of actual guilt, what's the difference? Are we not in both cases making the guilty party "pay for his crime"?

================================================

'A pretty obvious atrocity here. Why don't we just stick to the right and wrong of it, and abandon the rest of the sermonizing & breast-beating?

Assault causing death? Having beaten the victim senseless they then set him alight and left the scene. Sounds like murder, plain anz simple...the premeditation is clear, the outcome should have been anticipated. Life without parole.

Edited by Prbkk
  • Like 1

Assault causing death? Having beaten the victim senseless they then set him alight and left the scene. Sounds like murder, plain anz simple...the premeditation is clear, the outcome should have been anticipated. Life without parole.

Quite.

This wasn't a middle of the night, alcohol fueled, heat of the moment thing.

The journey itself to find the victim would have taken a good few hours. This was as cold blooded and premeditated as they come.

The only words I would want to hear from the father would be along the lines of 'we accept whatever punishment he gets - he deserves it'. All this asking for forgiveness business, which as I have already said, is I think just a way of fishing for leniency, would mean absolutely nothing.

"The father of the suspect said he would personally ensure his sons punishment to the fullest extent of the law."

Not your job.

You know what his job is? It's certainly more appropriate for him to express his feelings the way he did than for you to weigh in with your nonsensical comment.

What do I know? Well lets see shall we.

A: no one, but no one should be allowed to be the one who decides what the punishment for breaking the law should be when members of their own family are involved.

B: The law ensures what the fullest extent of punishment should be when a crime is committed, not any one individual but the law.

C: He wasn't expressing feelings, he was asking to be the one who prosecuted his son.

How you could confuse the two things is bewildering.

Or would be if one didn't know your posting habits.

A fully paid up member of the "Don't make a point just attack other posts, no matter how puerile I come across" school of thought.

• Like 2

"The father of the suspect said he would personally ensure his son’s punishment to the fullest extent of the law."

Not your job.

But actually a nice change from the spoiled kids parents, who are doing anything in their power to make sure, that their spoiled kids never have to face the consequences of their actions!!

Like:

Young Miss Na Ayudhya who killed 8 by hitting their minivan. Time served: None

The Red Bull heir, hit and run, killing a policeman. Time served: None

Moo Ham. In a fit of rage killing two people at a bus stop . Time served: None

Chalerms son. Murder. Time served: None (was rewarded with a job within the police.)

At least the father here is trying to take responsibility.

"No society can have vengeance as its form of justice. There has to be a legal system in place for that.

Vengeance like violence if left unchecked only begets itself"

You hear members pontificate like this from time to time. "Vengeance" is a bad word and we must never allow that; "justice" is a good word and we hang our hats on it. The victim and his family here are apparently entitled to "justice", but not to "vengeance". I wonder what, in the minds of most, the actual difference really is. What is justice, really, beyond vengeance at the social level? If I or the crowd demand someone be taken to court for some alleged wrong, aren't I just asking the court to do "legally" what public law & "morality" say I can't do myself? When some sentence or other is carried out, we say with self-satisfaction that it's "in the public good" rather than a matter of revenge, but really... Lately, the events in Ferguson, MO demonstrate vividly that so many people are not only OK with, but loudly favor what we would in any other circumstance be calling mob vengeance, but in this case, it seems to be suddenly OK so the desires of the mob are magically elevated from "vengeance" status to "justice" status. And if a president, say, declares that he's going to refuse to enforce some duly legislated public law or other, hasn't "justice" then kind of taken a powder? What does that say to the individual that agreed in the social contract to "justice" over the now defunct right to "vengeance"?

Lots of us like to throw words like "vengeance" around for dramatic effect, and brag about our dedication to the "system of justice", but does that really much change the end result we'd like and are demanding to see imposed on a perp? Aren't we just trading in a hammer for a bigger hammer? And if we should happen to lose faith that the "system of justice" will arrive at the findings we desire (or even that the "majority" desires") and fail to impose the desired & expected punishments, does that somehow change the definitions of "justice" and "vengeance"? Or must we remain committed to the "system of justice", even if it doesn't produce the outcome we think is right? Here? In Ferguson? ??

What's justice, really, beyond socially imposed vengeance with a "system of justice" just being the added assurance that the accused actually is guilty of the crime? If we have no doubt on the matter of actual guilt, what's the difference? Are we not in both cases making the guilty party "pay for his crime"?

================================================

'A pretty obvious atrocity here. Why don't we just stick to the right and wrong of it, and abandon the rest of the sermonizing & breast-beating?

Vengeance is always wrong. Yep that's me.

Justice is always right. Yep that's me.

Justice and the law needs to be dispassionate and based upon firm rules. It also needs to offer the chance of redemption as well as imposing punishment.

Vengeance can never be that and therefore is always wrong. Always.

If that's pontificating. Fine. That's what I'll continue to do.

Edited by Bluespunk

"The father of the suspect said he would personally ensure his sons punishment to the fullest extent of the law."

Not your job.

But actually a nice change from the spoiled kids parents, who are doing anything in their power to make sure, that their spoiled kids never have to face the consequences of their actions!!

Like:

Young Miss Na Ayudhya who killed 8 by hitting their minivan. Time served: None

The Red Bull heir, hit and run, killing a policeman. Time served: None

Moo Ham. In a fit of rage killing two people at a bus stop . Time served: None

Chalerms son. Murder. Time served: None (was rewarded with a job within the police.)

All the cases you mention are very different but all should have been punished by the legal system, not individuals.

That doesn't always happen but the solution is to make changes that ensure it does, not give in to the calls for vigilantes and vengeance.

Whilst I'm not suggesting the father could have foreseen this would happen, it's his and his wife's irresponsibility that has in part, and by his own admission, led to this.

The way kids here can be spoilt, being bought the latest gadgets, phones, the latest cars... it's something most of us see every day.

Children aren't taught the value of money, the importance of standing on their own two feet, the pride of doing hard graft and making something of themselves without family help. Instilling these sorts of values can make such a difference to who a person ultimately becomes. Not instilling them on the other hand, can cause a lot of problems.

Anyway, the point I'm making is that the time to take responsibly was when his son was growing up into a man, before this happened. Taking responsibility now... yeah, that's great, but it won't make much difference.. certainly not for the person who was beaten and set on fire.

Edited by rixalex
  • Like 2