Prayut threatens to hold onto power indefinitely

webfact

So he's no diplomat... not the end of the world for Thailand is it?

If he can learn to laugh at himself and accept that others will too.... he might become one of Thailand's better leaders in the past 1/2 century, even with his flaws.

Why? Why would he be thought of as one of the best? What has he achieved nearly a year into his rule? Stopping the protests I won't accept as it was clear as day the military were never 'neutral' in that.

So what are these great things he's done? Can you give me ten reasons backed and sourced?

• Like 2

For those of you not so blessed to have been in and lived through the previous coups and the respective governments over the past 30 plus years only to emerge out once again into the same morass of political corruption, greed and nepotism that there was prior to said coups, be it known that though he does seem to shoot his mouth off rather too quick does not necessarily mean he is not correct. (apologies for the run-on sentence)

Yep. All the previous Juntas were paragons of virtue and absolutely NOT partaking in ANY corruption at all. They are the heroes and the good guys, incapable of such things. whistling.gif

They're all the same mate, just swap the slick suits for camo uniform.

• Like 1

It seems the BKK Post has a different account of Prayut's comments... calling them sarcastic rather than serious/literal.

When asked what he would do against media critics, the Post said he responded:

"Execution, perhaps? Don't ask silly questions. The media only needs to be careful, and stick to ethics."

That's quite a different account/read from the Reuters report. The Post has a longer and broader elaboration of how Prayut's exchange with the media went. I can't quote it here under forum policy. But, suffice to say, it's supportive of his remark not being meant to be literal, though he was indeed warning the news media.

A good lesson all of us should remember in these times: don't necessarily believe everything you read, especially when it's coming out of Thailand.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

One thing the PM needs to be is consistent. He can not start a clean up and then stop in the middle or just do for one area. He needs to carry out the actions throughout the country and then not let it return to business as usual. We see this with police crack downs and a few days later everything back to business as usual.

Pick 10 (out of hundreds) major areas of corruption and clean them up and put the main players in jail, red and yellow.

He needs to hold onto power for awhile or everything will be back to business as usual in no time.

Edited by ttthailand

If he can learn to laugh at himself and accept that others will too.... he might become one of Thailand's better leaders in the past 1/2 century, even with his flaws.

Why? Why would he be thought of as one of the best? What has he achieved nearly a year into his rule? Stopping the protests I won't accept as it was clear as day the military were never 'neutral' in that.

So what are these great things he's done? Can you give me ten reasons backed and sourced?

'please tell and I won't accept this and that' ? "great things" and "ten reasons" ?

Well,the government will come with their presentation on achievements after Songkhran. Can't you wait for that? I mean we're still waiting for the 'achievement reports' from the Yingluck Government. Unlike you I'm willing to accept, like 'democracy restored', 'amnesty bill pushed through', 'RPPS for the right people'.

Achievements of the current government is a bit more difficult though. Most activities have long term goals, but there are some shorter term things.

- put a stop to protests and cowardly attacks on protesters

- gently prodded Suthep and accompanied him to the Criminal court to hear and acknowledge charges against him

- pay (most?) rice farmers

- stop RPPS

- put items like 'dual tracking' and 'road maintenance' back in the MoT National Budget (aka NatBgt) allocation

- planned seven years of 107 billion Baht reservation in the NatBgt, first one in 2014/2015.

- started reform process with NRC, commissions, country wide opening of candidate application

- started constitution rewrite with CDC, commissions, country wide request for input

- stopped interference in nACC work on 'negligence' (Yingluck), corruption (Boonsong c.s.) and 'abuse of power (Abhisit, Suthep, Somchai)

- befriended the press

Hope this helps

• Like 1

I think he is right, my interpretation of what he is saying is this -

If the reds are going to continue a funded thaksin terror campaign like the one last year and in 2010 then there will be no elections under that climate - we have already seen them getting bolder and the PM likely has information that we are not aware of, he is right if that is the case, there is no point in holding elections unless there is certainty that the country isn't going to enter another period of thaksin funded terrorism. that is my take on this rather controversial statement

• Like 1

I think he is right, my interpretation of what he is saying is this -

If the reds are going to continue a funded thaksin terror campaign like the one last year and in 2010 then there will be no elections under that climate - we have already seen them getting bolder and the PM likely has information that we are not aware of, he is right if that is the case, there is no point in holding elections unless there is certainty that the country isn't going to enter another period of thaksin funded terrorism. that is my take on this rather controversial statement

Democracy is not a tap you turn on and off. You do not control and land and its people you manage them and that was lacking and is still lacking to this day..

Also, trading temporary security for personal freedoms is a worrisome precedent. It allows for lackadaisical government.

The difference between Thaksin and the good general is one of them was elected. Sadly Thaksin could have been a great leader. He chose poorly, but still most Thais would probably choose him again if they had the chance.

• Like 1

'please tell and I won't accept this and that' ? "great things" and "ten reasons" ?

Well,the government will come with their presentation on achievements after Songkhran. Can't you wait for that? I mean we're still waiting for the 'achievement reports' from the Yingluck Government. Unlike you I'm willing to accept, like 'democracy restored', 'amnesty bill pushed through', 'RPPS for the right people'.

Achievements of the current government is a bit more difficult though. Most activities have long term goals, but there are some shorter term things.

- gently prodded Suthep and accompanied him to the Criminal court to hear and acknowledge charges against him

- stop RPPS

- put items like 'dual tracking' and 'road maintenance' back in the MoT National Budget (aka NatBgt) allocation

- planned seven years of 107 billion Baht reservation in the NatBgt, first one in 2014/2015.

- started reform process with NRC, commissions, country wide opening of candidate application

- started constitution rewrite with CDC, commissions, country wide request for input

- stopped interference in nACC work on 'negligence' (Yingluck), corruption (Boonsong c.s.) and 'abuse of power (Abhisit, Suthep, Somchai)

- befriended the press

Hope this helps

Rubi, you got a wicked sense of humour. Befriended the press!!! Perhaps it's tough love if you want to punch, throw banana skin and threaten to execute the press and later made up and be friends.

• Like 1

As soon as you hear things like "in the national interest" you know that it isn't....it's just a way of clamping down on dissenters.

...and the press can say what they like - so long as it doesn't criticise K. Prayuth?

Edited by cumgranosalum

One thing the PM needs to be is consistent. He can not start a clean up and then stop in the middle or just do for one area. He needs to carry out the actions throughout the country and then not let it return to business as usual. We see this with police crack downs and a few days later everything back to business as usual.

Pick 10 (out of hundreds) major areas of corruption and clean them up and put the main players in jail, red and yellow.

He needs to hold onto power for awhile or everything will be back to business as usual in no time.

"Pick 10 (out of hundreds) major areas of corruption and clean them up and put the main players in jail, red and yellow."

Can I pick one of the 10? I pick the military. For years I've heard of bribes paid for draft exemptions, draftees sent home and told to keep quiet so their pay, allowances and equipment expenses can go into the pockets of the officers, military complicity with smugglers on land and sea, friendly deals on military contracts being made between contractors and generals that make both sides rich at the taxpayers expense and, in the case of Prayuth's brother, direct transfers from military bank accounts to the generals account.

I've never heard of an independent investigation of the military. Just think of how much Prayuth can enhance his reformist and corruption fighting credentials by initiating such an investigation and seeing it through to the end. I suggest starting with a comprehensive audit of the military, just to ensure all accounts are in order and that it has all the men and expenses it claims to be paying for and equipment it claims to have bought.

Now if you drop your bias, what would be your pick ?

- stop RPPS

- befriended the press

Hope this helps

Rubi, you got a wicked sense of humour. Befriended the press!!! Perhaps it's tough love if you want to punch, throw banana skin and threaten to execute the press and later made up and be friends.

I forgot the smiley at the end of that one, but I think it would be obvious that 'achievement' was added at the end to lighten the tone as the items listen above were maybe too serious.

On the other hand the PM wanted the hearts of the press and he didn't even mention that he might mean it literally although he smiled rolleyes.gif

Edited by rubl
  • Like 1

Just a gentle reminder:

The job as Prime Minister is not meant for a trainee and this country and its people deserve more than being misused as a training camp for wouldbe's and shouldbe's driven by their wealth and ego. Even though, professionalism seems not a priority in this maltreated Nation.

Edited by Lupatria
  • Like 1

As soon as you hear things like "in the national interest" you know that it isn't....it's just a way of clamping down on dissenters.

...and the press can say what they like - so long as it doesn't criticise K. Prayuth?

You mean like the previous government protecting the RPPS and G2G details like National Secrets?

Wasn't the PM quoted that the press should only say the truth? May be the press should stop interpretations, just write the truth and see if the PM likes it better ?

Edited by rubl

"Pick 10 (out of hundreds) major areas of corruption and clean them up and put the main players in jail, red and yellow."

Can I pick one of the 10? I pick the military. For years I've heard of bribes paid for draft exemptions, draftees sent home and told to keep quiet so their pay, allowances and equipment expenses can go into the pockets of the officers, military complicity with smugglers on land and sea, friendly deals on military contracts being made between contractors and generals that make both sides rich at the taxpayers expense and, in the case of Prayuth's brother, direct transfers from military bank accounts to the generals account.

I've never heard of an independent investigation of the military. Just think of how much Prayuth can enhance his reformist and corruption fighting credentials by initiating such an investigation and seeing it through to the end. I suggest starting with a comprehensive audit of the military, just to ensure all accounts are in order and that it has all the men and expenses it claims to be paying for and equipment it claims to have bought.

If he did that, I'm sure there will be another coup before Christmas.

• Like 2

I'm sure the fans of "the good general" will arrive soon and explain that this is better than Thaksin.

My dog could do a better job than Thaksin, and without raping and pillaging the entire country and its people.

I would have agreed (at one point) that Thaksin was a good PM "if" I didn't already know how little he cares for the people, how much he's cost the country and how much money he stole before, during and still now.

Only twelve minutes before the standard "but, but, but....Thaksin!" diversion. I give you credit for staying on top of things, the PM has said so many embarrassing things lately the Prayuth fan club must be very busy trying to divert attention.

So, pray tell what in the topic is so embarrassing? The only thing I see is the need to threaten as a few still cause more and more delay in necessary reforms.

"more and more delay in necessary reforms." - ???? - who says they are? Reforms may be needed in any country, but they have to be achieved democratically., not at the whim of some ill-informed erratic and irascible general.

I want to thank Prayut for helping me indirectly on the visa for my

Thai wife to go to America. With my application I am going to

enclose a cover letter that says with the political situation

deteriorating by the day here,and Thailand clearly moving into

a d********p, it would be cruel and punishing to her to deny her

a visa and force her to stay here. Plus I feel that there is far

worse in civil disobedience waiting down the road here.

Thaksin must be loving every minute of the bizarre Prayut

comedy show that is alienating the entire country. Everyone knows

the expression about absolute power corrupting absolutely, I have

just never seen it played out in front of me....Threatening reporters

is NOT going to play well in international media.

It hasn't. Some of today's news sources have already reported he is threatening to execute them.

May well be worth the effort in some cases.

Is anyone really surprised at his latest statement? I'm glad I no longer live in Thailand for living under such an oppressive regime is not something I could consider.

Will there ever be elections and if so what constraints with Prayut put upon the elected party in order to comply with HIS ideology? When imposing, through force, an ideology where is the democracy?

Without question Thailand needs reform and change in order to empower the population through education but what under the General has been actually achieved to date?

If I was still living in Thailand I would be packing my bags as it will never be safe living under such a regime; the political system continues to go from elected government to military coup and eventually will lead to civil war.

Good luck to Thailand and it's people ... they are going to need it in order to fit into a single ideology and Prayut is no Lee and Thailand is no Singapore and never will be.

Guess what? You probably aren't missed.

So, pray tell what in the topic is so embarrassing? The only thing I see is the need to threaten as a few still cause more and more delay in necessary reforms.

Have you taken leave of your senses? How do you expect to be taken seriously when you agree with the general's comments that journalists should be threatened and intimidated? Threatening to kill journalists who do not report in accordance with the general's views is indefensible. You should be ashamed of yourself. This puts you in the camp of violent extremists.

My dear gKid, I know the USA Envoy talked about perception, but as Dutch uncle I couldn't care less.

The PM has asked the press to report the truth and only the truth. Now most would agree with that.

Mind you, if the press did, the PM might start to wonder why he asked for it wink.png

Now if you drop your bias, what would be your pick ?

My bias, as a retired military man, remains firmly in favor of the military cleaning up it's own act before dictating standards to the rest of the nation. Of course my bias is also for the military to be subservient to an elected civilian government.

Care to explain why you think the military should be exempt from ethical standards and corruption investigations?

Right, no real practical advise from you.

BTW I didn't say the military should be exempt. I'm just pragmatic and want to get the show on the road with decent preparations and a solid base. When slowly Thailand comes a well-founded democracy with a 'reasonable' government then applying ethical standards and anti-corruption laws to government agencies and organisations automatically includes the military of course.

Hope this helps

Finally, somebody has attempted a list

"- put a stop to protests and cowardly attacks on protesters"

He fulfilled the protesters wishes with blunt force, Hardly an achievement.

"- gently prodded Suthep and accompanied him to the Criminal court to hear and acknowledge charges against him"

Inconclusive

"- pay (most?) rice farmers"

Maybe a good point. He really needs the farmers to pay for his rice for rails scheme.

"- stop RPPS"

Is this Rubber Plantation Practices ?

"- put items like 'dual tracking' and 'road maintenance' back in the MoT National Budget (aka NatBgt) allocation"

Any real work done, or another plan?

"- planned seven years of 107 billion Baht reservation in the NatBgt, first one in 2014/2015."

Inconclusive

"- started reform process with NRC, commissions, country wide opening of candidate application"

Inconclusive

Inconclusive

"- stopped interference in nACC work on 'negligence' (Yingluck), corruption (Boonsong c.s.) and 'abuse of power (Abhisit, Suthep, Somchai) "

This is both Inconclusive and questionable. We shall see how far things go with Abhisit and Suthep. Retro impeachments ? Oh, please !

"- befriended the press"

Inaccurate: Sorry, he was threatening them again yesterday.

If one is going to take a country by force, they would be expected to effect some very fast, substantive changes. .

On advise of TVF posters the current government is trying to restrain itself. Unfortunately that means a lot more talking as if we still were in a working democracy here. Rumour has it the NCPO may even set up a general election next they need a new junta member.

Is anyone really surprised at his latest statement? I'm glad I no longer live in Thailand for living under such an oppressive regime is not something I could consider.

Will there ever be elections and if so what constraints with Prayut put upon the elected party in order to comply with HIS ideology? When imposing, through force, an ideology where is the democracy?

Without question Thailand needs reform and change in order to empower the population through education but what under the General has been actually achieved to date?

If I was still living in Thailand I would be packing my bags as it will never be safe living under such a regime; the political system continues to go from elected government to military coup and eventually will lead to civil war.

Good luck to Thailand and it's people ... they are going to need it in order to fit into a single ideology and Prayut is no Lee and Thailand is no Singapore and never will be.

Guess what? You probably aren't missed.

Sure the landlord , the neighborhood shops, even the phone company miss decent law abiding people. Before the coup, foreigners were welcomed. Today, China is far more welcoming than Thailand. Taiwan has a much better system of government. Indonesia has a more promising future and an easier language to learn. Before too long, Thailand will be missing the people who have moved on.

• Like 1

I suppose that, the longer a leader stays in power, the more complicated things get. Favors and rewards yet to be granted..contracts in progress...spending increases...

Absolute power does corrupt absolutely....so hopefully....an election is in the cards.

I do believe, that for now, he has had a positive influence.