British Embassy to launch 24 hour visa service in Thailand

British Embassy to launch 24 hour visa service in Thailand
By Coconuts Bangkok

10647060_945979532109114_928966931352962

BANGKOK: -- The British Embassy will launch an urgent visa service available 24 hours.

The "Super Priority Visa Service" for tourist visas and some work categories will start Monday and cost GBP600 (THB 31,200), six times more than the regular visa service GBP100 (THB 5,200).

More than 67,500 Thai nationals were granted a UK visa in 2014, an increase of 13 percent in two years, and the embassy says it wants to provide more options.

"I am delighted to see the Super Priority Visa service being launched in Thailand," British Ambassador Mark Kent said.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/03/25/british-embassy-launch-24-hour-visa-service-thailand

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-03-25

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This is daylight robbery pure and simple. A scam. An absolute disgrace. B31,000 (plus extras I'm sure) to pay someone for doing their job that little bit quicker.

Rogues and thieves. alt=ph34r.png>

You talking about UK or Thailand?

• Like 2

The chances are that you'd still have to pay for that damned outsourced visa service as well. This makes 500 baht for a 24 hour resident certificate pale into insignificance....(that'll take the wind out of some posters' sails, eh?)

An absolute bloody disgrace, HMG...just one more step in trying to prevent us taking partners back to our own country.

• Like 2

Passports take the mick with so called checks all the while in other parts of Asia it can be done online and sent by yourself now this and other paperwork fee is a joke seems they don't give a dam about the British community ...

Edited by Nicolas32
  • Like 1

As a result of cutbacks we have seen the services provided by The Foreign Office also cut back. Many on this forum have voiced their annoyance, irritation and general discord.

This is a mutual Opportunity for the Foreign Office to secure greater funds while at the same time providing a streamlined service for those willing to pay for it. I fail to see this as anything other than a win-win, it may not be tasteful, however, the mutual advantage is clear to see. I say this with one caveat: I hope the security protocols remain in place when fast-tracking a 'high-payers' visa.

I would hope that the additional income secured by the British Foreign Office in Thailand as a result of this service results in improved funding to offer better services.

• Like 1

We used the standard service last week and received an email confirming the decision had been made after just 3 working days which is pretty impressive in my opinion..

I can see the wisdom in offering a 24 hour decision if people have to travel from a far enough distance to make going twice within a short period a pain in the ass, but I think they pitched it a little high for it to be a big earner.

Unless of course there is some kind of slow down in the standard service to encourage people to go super priority.

Edited by Paul888

That's a bit pricey for a visit visa! ;)

For a spouse settlement visa sure, maybe £600 to shave an expected 3 month wait down to a couple of weeks might be worth it, depending on how often the couple visit each other as it could potentially mean one less flight. But for a visitor visa, it only really makes sense for business travellers where the company is paying

Unless of course there is some kind of slow down in the standard service to encourage people to go super priority.

I don't believe that the intention is for a steerage class of visa applicant, but it could prove true without trained staffing resources or possible future cutbacks. The net effect is that the Government meets its targets, either way, as the number of applicants isn't going to significantly increase.

Saying that, if I was loaded then I'd settle premium, and why shouldn't I for an available service?

If it doesn't impact on average waiting times then it'll never be a problem. We'll see.

This is extortion plain and simple.

This is not an example of a different system or process being employed.

This is not like "would you like to take the slow boat or the fast boat" ... they are DIFFERENT SYSTEMS.

This is ... We have one boat and the same crew, but for 5 times more money, we agree to do what we we hired to do all along.

Stop laughing at Thailand for one moment and get it ... this is Government Everywhere .. not just the Kingdom.

Lobby your local MP in UK, highlight your plight.

I don't have one, I live in Thailand. I've emailed various Ministers/MPs. Two Knights of the realm are in regular contact with me on this issue. Mainly I get a History lesson - 'this is how it's always been.'

• Like 1

A number of off topic and offensive posts removed.

For the avoidance of doubt this highly priced service is an extra service for those who need to, and are willing to pay for a quick turn around of their visa application, it's not compulsory and the regular service continues.

The local Embassy are only implementing a procedure announced by central Government, they haven't thought it up.

Whilst constructive criticism is, as always, welcome, insulting Embassy staff isn't.

• Like 1

As a result of cutbacks we have seen the services provided by The Foreign Office also cut back. Many on this forum have voiced their annoyance, irritation and general discord.

This is a mutual Opportunity for the Foreign Office to secure greater funds while at the same time providing a streamlined service for those willing to pay for it. I fail to see this as anything other than a win-win, it may not be tasteful, however, the mutual advantage is clear to see. I say this with one caveat: I hope the security protocols remain in place when fast-tracking a 'high-payers' visa.

I would hope that the additional income secured by the British Foreign Office in Thailand as a result of this service results in improved funding to offer better services.

Only problem with what you suggest is that this is run by the Home Office and not the FCO. So any funds generated will be eagerly clutched by Ms. May or her successor.

I know people, locals, in the UAE who always use the priority/urgent visa service there as they can't be bothered with planning and waiting etc. Not sure if the mark up ratio is the same there and everywhere or if they vary it.

Six times - sounds like the HO.

As visas arent for Brits this & much of the other nonsence in this thread is unlikely to have any effect.

You mean apart from those Brits who want to take wives, children, relatives, and friends to the UK that don't already have visas or British citizenship?

Fine if the regular service levels are not impacted by this new initiative. But I hope we don't hear from people who feel forced to pay 6 times the normal fee purely because the regular service has been allowed to suffer so the premium can be maintained.

I don't have one, I live in Thailand. I've emailed various Ministers/MPs. Two Knights of the realm are in regular contact with me on this issue. Mainly I get a History lesson - 'this is how it's always been.'

Your lucky to be getting so much attention. Not sure what exactly your beef is as this is only just launching?

BTW if you live in Thailand you can still register and vote. The last UK address you were registered to vote at will be used as your "constituency". So that constituency's MP should be your MP. Still time to register, before the 20th April for this years election but do allow for the postal time.

This is daylight robbery pure and simple. A scam. An absolute disgrace. B31,000 (plus extras I'm sure) to pay someone for doing their job that little bit quicker.

Rogues and thieves. ph34r.png

Nobody's forcing you or anyone else to use the service.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Rogues and thieves. alt=ph34r.png>

You talking about UK or Thailand?

I would say it is the Brit Embassey that has quoted this price so it looks like the UK.

• Like 1

A lot of fuss about nothing.

The vast majority of people plan their trips abroad and will have time to apply for a visa in the normal way. Who is going to use this service? Most likely business men who find they need to travel at a minute's notice. I don't imagine it will be used by many and I don't imagine it will have a detrimental affect on the existing service.

I used a similar service at the Indian embassy in the UK. My firm flew me back to the UK on a Thursday. Handed my passport into the office and their fixer got me an Indian visa by close of business on the Friday. I then flew out to India on the Monday after a weekend at home. It cost a good bit more than the normal process but I didn't pay as the firm did. I'm not aware of any outrage in the UK because this service exists at the Indian embassy or is causing delays to the standard application process.

I cannot find anything to the contrary, but I am willing to be proved wrong. Nowhere does it say that this new ripoff express service will guarantee a visa. Can you imagine paying 600 pounds just to find your application has been denied.....and I bet one will still have to pay in us dollars = an exchange ripoff too

Edited by finnomick
  • Like 1

I cannot find anything to the contrary, but I am willing to be proved wrong. Nowhere does it say that this new ripoff express service will guarantee a visa. Can you imagine paying 600 pounds just to find your application has been denied.....and I bet one will still have to pay in us dollars = an exchange ripoff too

A valid point. The extra cost is just to process the application in 24 hours. It will not guarantee a successful application.