Thailand, Morality, ethics and me

n210mp

Maybe, and in many cases, you come from a society where the rules are similar to playing chess, and you have entered a society that has no idea of chess, but only checkers.

The point being, different people, culture, society, and you need in many instances to forget about what you have been taught as "normal" or even acceptable.

That's not to say that its wrong, nor right, its just not the same and making adjustments to the differences is fraught with misunderstandings and confusion as to what you know as "the norm" and what your surroundings dictates is "the norm".

Nice analogy.

• Like 1

In the West our societies are run by criminal banking cartels & their Central banks, they buy governments and are above the law. Conveniently they also own indirectly the media so you certainly never hear about it, most of the corruption is at the very top. Most people are completely oblivious to the big picture as they indulge in the provided bread & circuses.

In Thailand the corruption is more obvious as top to bottom scramble for their share of the pie.

In Thailand politicians pay voters directly for votes, in the West the wealthy finance advertising campaigns for their stooges for the same outcome. At least here they know they've been bought, in the West the welfare handouts are the same thing but people don't even know they've been bought.

In Thailand the wealthy are above the law, the West is the same but the population seems largely unaware as the odd nobody is thrown to the sharks.

Thailand is just human nature on display in its raw form without the media manipulation pretending it is otherwise. Average people just adapt to the rules of the system in play.

You might want to google William Godwin.......

What is corruption and what is payment for service rendered ? When you send something by mail you pay the price according to the weight, distance etc .... If you want faster delivery you pay extra. Nothing wrong with that.

Then Thai don't see the law as we see it. Fairness, or the idea they have of fairness, is important for the Thais but the law is just seen as guidance. As long as nobody get hurt or disadvantaged in the process, it's no big deal to break the law.

The problem is we foreigner have a too narrow definition of the law. For Thai people what we call corruption is just helping friends and friends of friends and thanking friends for the help given. Harmony is the society is so much more important than blindly following inadequate regulation don't you think ?

• Like 1

The Thai paradigm ( nice people, with an utterly corrupt society from top to bottom) is a veritable paradox of herculean proportions, "over the top," and world class too - for good measure..thumbsup.gif

But why the gigantic paradox? It was surely formed in a type of perfect "storm," with concrete reasons, and some unknown ingredients. One could speculate at length about the fact that Thailand (Siam) was never colonized by European powers, instead preferring to let European powers "assimilate," or whittle away Thai land, in order to appease France and Britain, in Cambodia - Laos - Vietnam and Burma respectively. Today, Thailand resembles the heart of an artichoke plant, with the "leaves" now belonging to the aforementioned four countries, and the Mekong no longer forms logical borders.

That the country was never colonized has had consequences - both good and bad.To peel back the myriad of onion layers piece by piece is key, in part to solving the mystery of the paradox.

• Like 1

Good ol' georgemandm . . . "Whereustay" and "Sandman77" rolled into one clap2.gif

Let me guess..george is a no nonsense blue collar guy?

They've (bovine humans) been trying to sort out their differences in the parking lot for 10,000 years, with clubs, spears, knives and fists, and it ain't working.

Another tactic perhaps, like tact?

• Like 1

What is corruption and what is payment for service rendered ? When you send something by mail you pay the price according to the weight, distance etc .... If you want faster delivery you pay extra. Nothing wrong with that.

Then Thai don't see the law as we see it. Fairness, or the idea they have of fairness, is important for the Thais but the law is just seen as guidance. As long as nobody get hurt or disadvantaged in the process, it's no big deal to break the law.

The problem is we foreigner have a too narrow definition of the law. For Thai people what we call corruption is just helping friends and friends of friends and thanking friends for the help given. Harmony is the society is so much more important than blindly following inadequate regulation don't you think ?

No, especially when Mr Ferrari <deleted> has just ploughed through Mr plod

Edited by kannot
  • Like 2

OP, first you say "This is not a Thai bashing thread," then you go on to say "Thailand is morally and ethically bankrupt from the top to the bottom." That's quite a cop-out. At least be honest about it.

You're demonstrating exactly what Rancid explained. In the west, corruption occurs but it's much more sophisticated so the sheep can sleep at nights. It's about appearances while in Thailand, it's more out in the open. You're bashing Thailand, but hiding behind this "desire to understand" nonsense. How about display a bit of intellectual honesty?

Edited by Berkshire
  • Like 2

Not sure we're you come from back in my country we have good and bad people and it is the same here good and bad you come to thailand to have fun and not work out how the country is run and if you don't like not saying you , but a lot on this forum TV need to look at there selves and stop thai bashing I am sick of it here on TV you get some real good reading but you get to much thai bashing and it should stop if you don't like it here get out and go back home to your country.

So early in the thread and already a poster who doesn't read the OP thoroughly.

You are so far off the mark in your response that I thought it prudent not to answer but now and again I feel the need to say something to inane comments like yours.

Your inability to read what I writ doesn't surprise me at all but to actually respond in the manner that you did beggars belief.

For Gods sake read the post properly then read it again and then a third time and then define where, in what phrase or paragraph I was Thai bashing.

In the meantime telling someone to bog off back to their own country because you may not agree with their sentiment is like taking your bat and ball home, in other words very childish!

Now please think about what I am saying and if there is even the slightest accuracy in what I have said then and come back with a sensible and interesting reply.

Like for instance you could have made a comment like; the Thai people are so brainwashed that they do not have that sense of "empowerment" that we from the West or those in other SEA have in regard to these matters.

In other words am looking at why and I take the evolutionary process in consideration why after such a long time of "fraternisation" with the West and all of its contribution to Thai society they still havnt evolved like say Singapore , Japan or Korea.

I look forward to your answer to the points that I have raised

OP, don't take any notice of George. George has a somewhat warped sense of humor & often posts nonsense replies to valid posts. He can be, when the mood takes him, write sense & in extreme cases even be literate.

He baited you with the desired result.... you took the bait hook, line & sinker.

Not sure what really motivates him. He probably pulled the wings of flies when he was a kid to get his jollies.

Cheers..... Mal.

• Like 1

Quit generalizing because the corruption isn't endemic...lots of Thai people aren't corrupt and don't condone corruption.

Opinion polls suggest otherwise.

And yes of course there IS a minority that is fed up with the endemic corruption.

As I said, Thailand is making a leap forwards, but there are quick and slow jumpers.

I would have to disagree Thailand is not making leap forwards, leap backwards maybe.

Edited by Laughing Gravy
  • Like 2

Maybe, and in many cases, you come from a society where the rules are similar to playing chess, and you have entered a society that has no idea of chess, but only checkers.

The point being, different people, culture, society, and you need in many instances to forget about what you have been taught as "normal" or even acceptable.

That's not to say that its wrong, nor right, its just not the same and making adjustments to the differences is fraught with misunderstandings and confusion as to what you know as "the norm" and what your surroundings dictates is "the norm".

Exactly...

However, there is a cure... visit/do business in Viet Nam. They make the Thais look like amateurs.

I don't even notice corruption in Thailand anymore.

I am also under no illusions there's another country somewhere that makes the Vietnamese look like amateurs.

I agree that different cultures can have perfectly valid different norms.

f ex who should look after old or handicapped people? Their family or their government or private organisations?

But I think that there is a limit, and that we should not become completely relativists / nihilists.

Of course it is extremely tricky to compare cultures, as we all tend to make judgements based on our own norms.

Ex Absurdo: if all cultures are equal, then European culture of the year 1.000 is equal to European culture of the year 2.000?

In my opinion there is no reason to accept corruption as part of a culture. Corruption is morally and practically wrong.

I'm one of these cultural relativists. I'm (British) German by birth, and I never fit into any mainstream Farang value systems. After being on the road in Asia for over a year in 1969/70, I decided that Asian culture is preferably to European culture.

I have always seen European culture with the eyes of a foreigner ever since.

This doesn't mean that I am a nihilist.

I know quite well that everyone needs a cognitive frame of unquestionable beliefs and values in order not to run completely mad.

My cognitive frame is surely rather Buddhist than Christian.

It is also rather scientific than Christian. In fact I left church at the age of 14 because of the biological impossibility that a virgin could be pregnant (which they would force me to believe)

Buddhism is more realistic in this matter.

Of course I'm aware that Buddhism also has a core of norms that cannot be logically proven to be false or true. Even mathematical logic itself has a logical limit itself, according to the Goedel theorem.

I believe that Buddhism is superior because it has a wider range of understanding.

You can understand Farang culture from Buddhism, but not vice versa.

Edited by micmichd
  • Like 1

Quit generalizing because the corruption isn't endemic...lots of Thai people aren't corrupt and don't condone corruption.

Please provide examples...because to be absolutely truthful, I have never once encountered a Thai person that did not condone corruption...while they may object to it, they most often participate and always condone it...