Looking for advice on setting up a home gym

Hi PP

I just saw your post.

I'm the manager of Muang Thai Fitness in Korat (Nakhon Ratchasima).

We started as a gym, but are now importers of fitness equipment because everything we needed was either of poor quality or too expensive.

You are welcome to contact me about anything for your homegym - I'll provide you with picture and prices. Some of the equipment, you can even test in Korat.

We have rubbercoated weightplates & rubbercoated dumbbells promotion at only 199.- / kilo...

You can see most of our products in picture and with prices on our facebookpage:

https://www.facebook.com/muangthaifitnessequipment

You can also see the promotions that I'm referring to if you scroll down a bit on the page.

By the way, I'm Nik, Farang from denmark, been living and working in Korat for almost a year - but have been exercising and working with fitness most of my adult life smile.png

after checking your facebook page that had this "Powerful Rower - ONLY 143.880.- THB", I am curious about how much it would be for ya to get a Concept2 Rower Model D with PM5 here

I am interested in the C2, but remember they retail for 29,500 THB

I got a C2 imported myself back then it was around 50k inclusive transport and taxes.

I am doing it slowly.. its just a precaution if i ever let it slip or something like that. I did drop a 34kg dumbbell once without problems to either the floor or dumbbell.

Yeah, no need to worry about those. A weight can always be cushioned before it hits the floor, as in this well-publicized case:

1390972747889.jpg

One of the few injuries I ever got over the years (i am relatively injury free). Had some minor shoulder problems (gone now) and that is about it. Not bad for over 25 years of training.

That's a mistake - It will be corrected tomorrow. Thank you for bringing that to my attention.

That said - before you all bring me examples of how cheap you can buy all kinds of stuff, it is no surprise to anyone that you can find a good deal on equipment elsewhere and have it send to Thailand - and maybe even get it into the country as private goods.

BUT if you buy from a distributor, that pay taxes in this country by the way, you'll have your guarantee from a company in this country, which is able to get spare parts, handle complaints and repairs, do maintenance etc - and all that all costs money. So our company is the expensive alternative to doing the work of bringing your equipment into Thailand and to your home plus being on your own if the equipment is defective somehow - but compared to other serious distributors selling high standard equipment, we're not expensive.

I wouldn't be worried about buying the C2 though. The only problem I've experienced with them are the aluminium body that can break in the joint below the footplate after long intense use - especially if you weigh too much.

There's a guy in Chang mai, that wants to sell his C2 - but it has the PM4 monitor. Here's the link.

http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/hobbies/sport-and-leisure/concept-2-rower-318975.html

oh, I wasn't having a go at you.

I am genuinely interested in getting a Black C2 with PM5 but quite unwilling to buy 2nd hand much, I'm just like that.

might get one sent directly from C2 as I reckon no one will have those in stock anywhere

or

I'd bring it "new but opened" as oversized/excess baggages for ±200$ instead of shipping it there since Amazon Prime ships it free 2 days anywhere in US/Canada

it'll prob be coming in with me next time around

If Amazon ships to Thailand for a fair price with their "all inclusive" shipping than use that.

I bought several things from them, you are first shocked when their estimate import duty is added. But than it comes complete hassle free to your home, usually faster than they tell and out of 3 times I got 2 times a bit of a refund on the import duty.

I am doing it slowly.. its just a precaution if i ever let it slip or something like that. I did drop a 34kg dumbbell once without problems to either the floor or dumbbell.

Yeah, no need to worry about those. A weight can always be cushioned before it hits the floor, as in this well-publicized case:

1390972747889.jpg

One of the few injuries I ever got over the years (i am relatively injury free). Had some minor shoulder problems (gone now) and that is about it. Not bad for over 25 years of training.

Another proof that weight training is very safe in compare to other sports.

No, merely proof of your abysmal lack of expertise as a statistician and objective witness. So much for what credibility you had.

Suggestive of robblok's own circumspection, yes. I've dropped a weight on my foot once in 30 years. It was at the old Chevin Gym, Pattaya. (Wonder where Duncan is today.) I recovered. However, I've also had a few near misses, too! :)

I tend to agree with you on the point--no comparison w/ 'Mercun football, for example--but let's not pretend that bodybuilding/weightlifting forums aren't replete with countless tales of injury. Noobs in particular aren't so aware of form and of what exercises really should be left alone, like behind-the-neck pulldowns or upright rows. Bad news, like that re: the beloved dumbbell fly, may be ignored even by the experienced. Smith machine, object of lust in an earlier post? Also bad news. It goes on and on, really. Yeah, yeah, you can do this, you can do that, and all's fine--except that obviously many people don't, relying on common sense (LOL). So, having experience myself, I'm happy to stay fit and lookin' in shape without heavy lifting or wasting time and money at a gym. And IMO most people would just be better off doing the same. I still drive a motorbike almost daily in Pattaya, so you see it's not that I'm particularly risk-averse.

No, merely proof of your abysmal lack of expertise as a statistician and objective witness. So much for what credibility you had.

Suggestive of robblok's own circumspection, yes. I've dropped a weight on my foot once in 30 years. It was at the old Chevin Gym, Pattaya. (Wonder where Duncan is today.) I recovered. However, I've also had a few near misses, too! smile.png

I tend to agree with you on the point--no comparison w/ 'Mercun football, for example--but let's not pretend that bodybuilding/weightlifting forums aren't replete with countless tales of injury. Noobs in particular aren't so aware of form and of what exercises really should be left alone, like behind-the-neck pulldowns or upright rows. Bad news, like that re: the beloved dumbbell fly, may be ignored even by the experienced. Smith machine, object of lust in an earlier post? Also bad news. It goes on and on, really. Yeah, yeah, you can do this, you can do that, and all's fine--except that obviously many people don't, relying on common sense (LOL). So, having experience myself, I'm happy to stay fit and lookin' in shape without heavy lifting or wasting time and money at a gym. And IMO most people would just be better off doing the same. I still drive a motorbike almost daily in Pattaya, so you see it's not that I'm particularly risk-averse.

hmm....you have a point....sure a lot of problems because lack of knowledge or lack of common sense.

But if you compare with running, skiing, soccer, tennis, almost everyone get some problems at some time even if carefully and having common sense.

I should have word it difference: There is a lot evidence that weight training, if done with knowledge and carefully is safer than many, but not all, other sports......

Suggestive of robblok's own circumspection, yes. I've dropped a weight on my foot once in 30 years. It was at the old Chevin Gym, Pattaya. (Wonder where Duncan is today.) I recovered. However, I've also had a few near misses, too! smile.png

If you know what your doing then weightlifting is not that dangerous.. but as you stated.. many do not know. In the old days behind the neck press was normal. Same like lat pull-down behind the neck. I have heard of many people with injuries but many can be avoided. Though I think its hard to avoid them all. I am lucky / skilled. (not so lucky with the 25 kg disk on my toe) but otherwise I have not had many injuries.

Flies I have done in the past right now only doing full body the large lifts. Some call them dangerous.. others not.. again it depends on form. I do know that a good warming up helps a lot. But if you compare weightlifting with soccer or even tennis it often comes out good. Again it really depends on who is training.

The 37 kg dumbbell i dropped was during incline presses. I have DB hooks to help me do exercises like that safely without having to mount the heavy weights. However in this case I missed the bar while putting it back and i could either hold on the the weight and let my arm get damaged or just drop it. I did the last, I also had a fun experience when younger. I was doing scull crushers for triceps and i had not fastened the collar good.. weight dropped off on one side and i fell to the other side of the bench with the remaining weight (no injury.. just a lot of embarrassment)

If you know what your doing then weightlifting is not that dangerous.. but as you stated.. many do not know. In the old days behind the neck press was normal. Same like lat pull-down behind the neck. I have heard of many people with injuries but many can be avoided. Though I think its hard to avoid them all. I am lucky / skilled. (not so lucky with the 25 kg disk on my toe) but otherwise I have not had many injuries.

Flies I have done in the past right now only doing full body the large lifts. Some call them dangerous.. others not.. again it depends on form. I do know that a good warming up helps a lot. But if you compare weightlifting with soccer or even tennis it often comes out good. Again it really depends on who is training.

The 37 kg dumbbell i dropped was during incline presses. I have DB hooks to help me do exercises like that safely without having to mount the heavy weights. However in this case I missed the bar while putting it back and i could either hold on the the weight and let my arm get damaged or just drop it. I did the last, I also had a fun experience when younger. I was doing scull crushers for triceps and i had not fastened the collar good.. weight dropped off on one side and i fell to the other side of the bench with the remaining weight (no injury.. just a lot of embarrassment)

years ago it was common to not use collar for safety reason if going heavy on bench press. In case you can't lift you let the weights on one side drop on one side.

I never did it and alone the idea scared me. But it was common practice in the one gym I have been....

• 1 year later...

I saw a shop in Lamphun selling new gym equipment. OTOH, you should check out your neighborhood as there are 10 Baht-per-day gyms all over Thailand. Those may not be fancy, but I've had bad experiences with junk equipment cluttering one's home. 

• 6 months later...
On 3/27/2015 at 9:40 AM, williet98248 said:

Indeed. Just depends on your circle of friends and what your interest6s are and have been. I have been a fitness guy and a gym freak since my thirties. Before that was very exercise oriented with many strenuous sports. At 73 in Thailand I am more concerned with keeping in shape for health and quality of life reasons. I have over the years accumulated a gym from second hand sources, including dumb bells, bar bells, incline and decline benches, a universal machine and an elliptical trainer. Bicycling is the aerobic. I think that many people who are older get into the gym as a way to remedy the abuses of our bodies at the younger ages. We finally realize that we won't live forever and can't abuse our bodies with impunity.

Post 30 years old everyone loses about 1% muscle mass per year. ... at least.  A real problem as leg and back muscles weaken and back pain creeps in.  Think it's a must for anyone over 50 to be strength training to preserve and/or increase strength.  It will make for a significantly better quality of life down the road.

On 3/31/2015 at 11:03 AM, h90 said:

Indeed it is safer than most, certainly safer than "cardio".  The thing is that it's safe if the lift is done correctly.  This of course does not matter much on machines.  Using free weights, which are most beneficial, form matters a lot if you plan to stay injury free.  

On 3/26/2015 at 4:58 PM, Marcel1 said:

Check out this one:

http://www.ultimatefitnessthailand.com/

if the link doesn't work google for ultimate fitness, just send the guy a mail he'll reply quickly and correct.

I bought some plates from him last year, correct guy decent prices.

Got it recommended by Robblok I'm sure he'll be around soon to give some more advice.

Chris at UF is great.  Quality no nonsense equipment at fair prices.  Unfortunately he has moved to Isarn and does not do much with the equipment any longer.

42 minutes ago, chilli42 said:

Chris at UF is great.  Quality no nonsense equipment at fair prices.  Unfortunately he has moved to Isarn and does not do much with the equipment any longer.

Sad to hear about that, I was a customer and wanted to buy some other stuff. But thankfully my gym is well stocked. 

10 hours ago, chilli42 said:

Indeed it is safer than most, certainly safer than "cardio".  The thing is that it's safe if the lift is done correctly.  This of course does not matter much on machines.  Using free weights, which are most beneficial, form matters a lot if you plan to stay injury free.  

Exercise choice is also very important to remain injury free. Older people are better off training on machines as safety trumps any benefits you may gain from using free weights. I'm an older guy who uses free weights mainly, but I learned to perform the movements over 40 years. I also like to use machines, but that's impractical for me as I train at home.

10 hours ago, tropo said:

Exercise choice is also very important to remain injury free. Older people are better off training on machines as safety trumps any benefits you may gain from using free weights. I'm an older guy who uses free weights mainly, but I learned to perform the movements over 40 years. I also like to use machines, but that's impractical for me as I train at home.

Yes its important to learn the motions, I am trying to learn a few new motions i never used before because I am trying to do complexes.

If you want to see what I mean look at the video of the lady, the first exercise is one that i can't really do and I hate to admit it but I am using less weigh as her. But I have just started. Last time i did the exercise combo 4 times. It was heavy.. i want to build it up to 6 or so. I am assuming the weights are 15 kg or so (though I seen 5 kg ones that look the same)

https://www.t-nation.com/training/complexes-made-simple

7 hours ago, robblok said:

Yes its important to learn the motions, I am trying to learn a few new motions i never used before because I am trying to do complexes.

If you want to see what I mean look at the video of the lady, the first exercise is one that i can't really do and I hate to admit it but I am using less weigh as her. But I have just started. Last time i did the exercise combo 4 times. It was heavy.. i want to build it up to 6 or so. I am assuming the weights are 15 kg or so (though I seen 5 kg ones that look the same)

I don't really see the point of it. It's not really cardio as it's too intense (you'll reach an anaerobic state quickly) and there's quite a risk of injury doing that and what will you achieve? You won't gain muscle and it could interfere with the recovery from your normal weight sessions.

IMO it's better to build muscle the most efficient way - you know how to do that already, and do regular cardio that's safer and more easy to control heart rate and intensity. If you want to get strong at the individual movements in the complex exercise, do them individually with rest periods.

I'll lay bets you won't be doing this for long LOL. Sure, it may be fun for awhile, but you'll soon reach a point where you won't be able to improve.

Edit: I forgot to mention, you really need a high quality rotating Olympic bar to do cleaning movements, not the standard ones you use for squats and deadlifts.  

Edited by tropo

1 hour ago, tropo said:

I don't really see the point of it. It's not really cardio as it's too intense (you'll reach an anaerobic state quickly) and there's quite a risk of injury doing that and what will you achieve? You won't gain muscle and it could interfere with the recovery from your normal weight sessions.

IMO it's better to build muscle the most efficient way - you know how to do that already, and do regular cardio that's safer and more easy to control heart rate and intensity. If you want to get strong at the individual movements in the complex exercise, do them individually with rest periods.

I'll lay bets you won't be doing this for long LOL. Sure, it may be fun for awhile, but you'll soon reach a point where you won't be able to improve.

Edit: I forgot to mention, you really need a high quality rotating Olympic bar to do cleaning movements, not the standard ones you use for squats and deadlifts.  

The point is that its like HIIT but more fun, its for people who hate cardio.. guess who is like that.

I will see how fun this is there are quite a number of people doing this and benefiting from it. I am not disagreeing with you about that cardio (HIIT) might be more effective.. but if i do this more and like this more I won't skip it as much as cardio.. then its a win anyway.

I might skip the cleaning motion because i don't really see the benefit of it. I have done it now a few times. I got quite a lot of muscle pain from it so it does target something. 

@tropo

For you it might not be useful as you have no problem with cardio. For me cardio is boring and this is more fun. It might be less effective.. but if I do it more often it becomes more effective than cardio. Its just a matter of consistency and volume and I think i can do this more then cardio.. adding extra sessions and so on. 

It is a personal thing, really depends on the person what is effective and what is not.

2 hours ago, robblok said:

@tropo

For you it might not be useful as you have no problem with cardio. For me cardio is boring and this is more fun. It might be less effective.. but if I do it more often it becomes more effective than cardio. Its just a matter of consistency and volume and I think i can do this more then cardio.. adding extra sessions and so on. 

It is a personal thing, really depends on the person what is effective and what is not.

I understand you're looking for other ways to increase your cardio. I know all the movements she is performing and have done most of them individually and sometimes as combinations of 2. For example, clean and press, or clean and squat, or clean squat and press. I used to be into weight lifting in my earlier days, and cleans were one of my favourites. I used to do sets of 10, full power cleans with 100kg those days. LOL>  now I can only dream of it. Power cleans now hurt my left wrist which was injured years ago in a motorcycle smash. If you are going to do them, you need a super smooth olympic bar. Anything less will eventually cause injuries.

The problem is, all these movements could possibly put you into a state of overtraining if combined with your current weight training sessions. If you weren't doing some serious bodybuilding, then they would be a great way to stay in shape. I think your main focus is bodybuilding and cardio fitness is secondary. Rowing is a full body movement, and, as you know, even that's tough to combine with your bodybuilding sessions because you're using the same muscles that you burn out during your weight sessions.

Let us know how you go and if you're still doing it by Christmas.

Edited by tropo

8 hours ago, tropo said:

I understand you're looking for other ways to increase your cardio. I know all the movements she is performing and have done most of them individually and sometimes as combinations of 2. For example, clean and press, or clean and squat, or clean squat and press. I used to be into weight lifting in my earlier days, and cleans were one of my favourites. I used to do sets of 10, full power cleans with 100kg those days. LOL>  now I can only dream of it. Power cleans now hurt my left wrist which was injured years ago in a motorcycle smash. If you are going to do them, you need a super smooth olympic bar. Anything less will eventually cause injuries.

The problem is, all these movements could possibly put you into a state of overtraining if combined with your current weight training sessions. If you weren't doing some serious bodybuilding, then they would be a great way to stay in shape. I think your main focus is bodybuilding and cardio fitness is secondary. Rowing is a full body movement, and, as you know, even that's tough to combine with your bodybuilding sessions because you're using the same muscles that you burn out during your weight sessions.

Let us know how you go and if you're still doing it by Christmas.

Yes, it might over-train my body.. that risk is always there. I felt my back never really recovered good when i rowed and did dead-lifts with the frequency I did in the past (lowered it now). I even got a elliptical now (good one actually) but still i find it hard to do cardio. So i am just looking for alternative ways to get the blood pumping and so far this is working good. But like you said there is an over-training risk.. one that i should manage and maybe I won't make it until december . This is real tough to do .. but for some reason its mentally a lot better for me then the cardio sessions.

I actually changed how i train recently with doing muscle groups less times a week as I felt I was not recovering enough.  (I did not really feel it.. but i saw my numbers (reps)  increase after a small holiday and then decrease after a few weeks of training). I just thought it might have been the volume. I am still training though insomnia (actually no problems falling asleep but just waking up a few times) is killing me a bit lowering my normal energy levels. But the insomnia is something I have since last year October or so. Going to do some test about the prostate (just to be sure its not that that wakes me up.. more excluding it then thinking its the problem). I been waking up between 2am and 3am all the time and its supposed to be related to cortisol / adrenal glands. But I have blamed my back, my urinating and now this for the sleeping problems.. but there is no real hard evidence to really point to one.. though my back is unlikely as its almost giving me no trouble at all.. and urinating goes fine during the day and at night im not sure its waking me up.. or that I wake up and think oh i can go pee too. So just going to the dr and see if we can eliminate some stuff.

My diet been real clean recently  added apple cider vinegar and kefir and cinnamon and of course fish oil (though always took fish oil) kefir just started again. I have some more things to add and ill mail you about it. Bought melatonine... have anti histamine , gaba , and ordered ashwagandha  (supposed to help against the cortisol or adrenal problems). But actually as I said no problems sleeping or feeling any stress, i just wake up.. (and fall asleep fast again).

But i also thought it might have been training related.. did stop most exercise for over a month (almost no energy at that time) but it really did not help.. so it was not really over training.. and I even had the waking up during my holiday inn the south with no work related stress at all (still don't think i got much work related stress as I love my work and only stress if I cant get things finished and that has not been the case) I cut out cafeine.. ect ect. 

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Pictures of my home gym

The rowing machine is in the hall and can easily be put in the gym when I want to row.

I still got some workout space in front of the more then enough to put the rower or do normal standing exercise.

20180102_190201 (Small).jpg

20180102_190122 (Small).jpg

20180102_190131 (Small).jpg

20180102_190139 (Small).jpg

20180102_190145 (Small).jpg

20180102_190151 (Small).jpg

Edited by robblok

On 4/16/2017 at 9:37 AM, robblok said:

Are you still doing these?

I had a good look at this article. I would say the lady is using 40kg. They make the 10kg plates wide so that deadlifts and other ground pull exercises are the same height as when using heavier plates.

I've been doing some combo barbell exercises lately, like power clean then press, repeated. I might add in front squats to make it 3 movements, but I would prefer one after the other and then repeated. eg. power clean - press - front squat, then repeat. That way each movement gets equal priority.

25 minutes ago, tropo said:

Are you still doing these?

I had a good look at this article. I would say the lady is using 40kg. They make the 10kg plates wide so that deadlifts and other ground pull exercises are the same height as when using heavier plates.

I've been doing some combo barbell exercises lately, like power clean then press, repeated. I might add in front squats to make it 3 movements, but I would prefer one after the other and then repeated. eg. power clean - press - front squat, then repeat. That way each movement gets equal priority.

Actually still doing them at times, i try to do a few set in the morning after i wake up 3 sets now and not every day and not as heavy as that lady yet. It really gets the heart-rate up. I believe here they set it up that after every upper-body exercise you got a leg exercise or something like that.

I am getting back into the shape and mindset of training. I think after this month is done I will be almost back to the same level as i was before the holiday. (maybe a little less strength wise)

That's what the exercise threads used to do - hype people up to get them motivated. Then they decided to hide the exercise threads in an area seldom visited and very hard to find. Most people do exercise to lose fat, so it used to be located in the right spot, but now there are hardly any posts about exercise at all. There were only a few posts last month, most of them mine and a few other die-hards. The new "Body and Fitness" forum is so hard to find I think very few people even know of its existence. I miss the lively threads we used to have back in the "I'm too fat" section of the health forum.

Getting back to complexes and home gyms... It would be hard to place these in a well-balanced program because they could interfere with regular weight training exercises and recovery. A few people came up with the idea and think it's good. I'd put it in the same category as CrossFit, with the same risks of injury and not suitable for bodybuilders. Progression would be near impossible to determine if your complexes were as long as the 4 examples given. I wouldn't put it anywhere near as beneficial as rowing and SkiErging when it comes to fat loss. I'm going to try a few rounds with my variation tonight with only 3 exercises combined and part of a circuit program including rowing and SkiErging.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tropo said:

That's what the exercise threads used to do - hype people up to get them motivated. Then they decided to hide the exercise threads in an area seldom visited and very hard to find. Most people do exercise to lose fat, so it used to be located in the right spot, but now there are hardly any posts about exercise at all. There were only a few posts last month, most of them mine and a few other die-hards. The new "Body and Fitness" forum is so hard to find I think very few people even know of its existence. I miss the lively threads we used to have back in the "I'm too fat" section of the health forum.

Getting back to complexes and home gyms... It would be hard to place these in a well-balanced program because they could interfere with regular weight training exercises and recovery. A few people came up with the idea and think it's good. I'd put it in the same category as CrossFit, with the same risks of injury and not suitable for bodybuilders. Progression would be near impossible to determine if your complexes were as long as the 4 examples given. I wouldn't put it anywhere near as beneficial as rowing and SkiErging when it comes to fat loss. I'm going to try a few rounds with my variation tonight with only 3 exercises combined and part of a circuit program including rowing and SkiErging.

I understand your concerns about complexes and the fat burning of your ski erg and rower. However i try to do them in the morning during an stand alone short morning training session. I have no doubt that the rower or ski erg would produce better results. But sometimes its not about the most practical and best thing, but about something that you like to do and can keep on doing. I am just looking for a other way to burn a few calories and rev my metabolic rate up in the morning. A hard rowing session is just a bit too much. I really should visit you one day and I have been in Pattaya a few days already. (i normally go on a sunday to visit a friend) was stone drunk last year on his birthday (something that never happens). Had taken a hotel with the GF of course not going to drink and drive. 

I did get checked by the police one time after i left him at night just before i could turn onto the highway had to blow in a tube. Not a problem of course because as i said i never drink and drive. I should visit you one time too but best would be on a  Sunday because then I beat traffic. It saves like 33% I once even got from my home north of BKK to Pattaya in a bit under 2 hours. 

I would like to try that Ski Ergg as I am slowly making more money and if i can get it in my gym (dimension wise) I might be interested in buying it. It would be bolted up to the wall. How expensive would it be then ?

6 hours ago, robblok said:

I understand your concerns about complexes and the fat burning of your ski erg and rower. However i try to do them in the morning during an stand alone short morning training session. I have no doubt that the rower or ski erg would produce better results. But sometimes its not about the most practical and best thing, but about something that you like to do and can keep on doing. I am just looking for a other way to burn a few calories and rev my metabolic rate up in the morning. A hard rowing session is just a bit too much. I really should visit you one day and I have been in Pattaya a few days already. (i normally go on a sunday to visit a friend) was stone drunk last year on his birthday (something that never happens). Had taken a hotel with the GF of course not going to drink and drive. 

I did get checked by the police one time after i left him at night just before i could turn onto the highway had to blow in a tube. Not a problem of course because as i said i never drink and drive. I should visit you one time too but best would be on a  Sunday because then I beat traffic. It saves like 33% I once even got from my home north of BKK to Pattaya in a bit under 2 hours. 

I would like to try that Ski Ergg as I am slowly making more money and if i can get it in my gym (dimension wise) I might be interested in buying it. It would be bolted up to the wall. How expensive would it be then ?

I did quite a bit of research on "complexes" and noted that most of the articles were at least 5 years old and older, so it looks like this training method has fallen out of favour. That's probably because the CrossFit craze has taken the world by storm and they are very similar.

I tried it out last night. I did a relatively "tame" set of 10 reps of front squat>hang cleans>presses>back squats. 3 sets in circuits with some other upper body movements, ab roller and 10 mins of rowing and SkiErg. I used 30kg as a warm-up set and then 40kg for the last 2. I didn't find it too taxing, but I'm used to doing brutal circuits so I'm quite conditioned. I'll have to stick more weight on the bar next time. I could add a few more movements, but I don't see the point of doing deadlifts and I've given up barbell rows because they are an unnecessary risk for the spine.

I did enjoy it! Takes me back my old weightlifting days, but the flexibility in my wrists is not like it used to be. I did use the rack to reposition my hands throughout the set and to change the bar to behind the neck for back squats. I don't have a sleeved Olympic bar, but it was surprising how smooth the standard bar with 1-inch plates was. It was probably more smooth than a cheap sleeved bar as there was no sticking on the rotation whatsoever.

Regarding the SkiErg. The total with customs/tax came to nearly 44k (using today's exchange rate). I see on the US sites the stand costs around $200 and it's the heaviest part of the machine and saves you a box for shipping. It comes in 2 big boxes.

Here's the commercial invoice from Aviron Enterprise in Penang. You can pay in MYR too, but it works out cheaper in USD. My customs Duty and tax worked out to exactly 20% including the clearance service fee for TNT Express.

SkiErg.jpg.f440aebdcc131be3dc202f486db29cfd.jpg

I don't really think you need it. As it is already clear you find machine cardio work hard to stick with and you already have 2 good machines and a park near your house (for farmer's walking), you're well covered. Just so you know, I also find cardio work very tedious and it's not fun, but I just consider it as a job that must be done. Having the SkiErg and rower side by side makes my cardio work far more interesting though as I don't spend a long time on either machine as I swap between the 2 if I'm not doing circuits. For example, I'll do 10 min row then 10 min SkiErg and then back to rowing again. Sometimes I'll do 15 minutes on each, but seldom longer than that at a stretch. Doing it this way it's also easier to exercise more intensely as you know that you'll soon be getting a break from it when you hop onto the other machine. Changeover only takes about 5 seconds. When I get the BikeErg I'll add that to the rotation for even more "fun" LOL.

Attached to the wall it will take up hardly any space at all.

Best cardio I have found is stairs, 

Gf lives in a condo with ~40 floors to the roof 

Start in the basement and walk/jog to the roof as quickly as you can and back down

I usually do about 3 circuits (sometimes more, sometimes less in about 45 min) 

If that's too easy, carry a sandbag  on your shoulder or a gallon of water in each hand or a weighted vest would do the trick too

51 minutes ago, vogie said:

Hi, I've cheked out the internet for a rower, the Concept 2 looks very nice, but maybe a little too pricey for me. Is there anywhere in Pattaya where I could buy a reasonable model at a more affordable price?

I hope you can find it but the concept is worth its price, its will holds its value and you can use it for a long time. Cheaper in this case means less durability. I can understand you wanting cheaper especially if your not sure if you can keep on doing it. It would be a real expensive clothes hanger.