How many km per day..

AllanB

When the weather gets cooler later this year I plan on as many trips as I can, as usual with Mrs AllanB, possibly on the old NV400, if not a new CB300... So I wonder what the rest of you would consider a days riding, assuming mainly main roads and not busting a gut. How fast do you ride as a maximum on such a trip and how many hours per day, early morning, late evening riding?.......oh and the bike you ride, solo/pillion, alone or with chums?

My first trip is to be a 600km trip from Khon Kaen to Kho Chaing, easily my favourite island, I know how far it is as we just got back from a family holiday in the truck and was just longing to be on the bike. So, as I say 600 doorstep to ferry.

The second the Mae Hong Song Loop, which is also 600km away, to the start point that is, but stopping at my mates house in Uttaradit at km410, hoping to do that hop in a day after an early start.

After that Laos, so possibly Vientiane, which should be easy at 200 plus crossing.

When I do long rides on my PCX I figure 8 hours is enough for me that can be about 400k, riding solo and betweem 80kph and 100kph it just depends on the conditions. I have done a 600k ride a while back but that was after 3 400k days and a few days rest my endurance was up

I also did 600km per day several times during my Harley ownerships days here in Thailand.

Speed around 120-140 km/h (when conditions allows) and wife(pillion) and I rode alone.

Sometimes with HOG, +400km per day with app 10 HD's, speed around 110-120 but sometimes more when there no traffic.

When I was younger, I did 1000km per day in EU and Australia, no probs.

The trick when doing touring and you want to cover some distance, is: Do not stop all the time, you waste a lot of time each time. Only stop for fuel and take a leak/smoke now you are stopped anyway.

Off-course if I ride in a beautiful area, I like to slow down and enjoy the sights and even stop taking photos and take it all in. It's not just going from A to B as fast as possible all the time, it all depends. Start early so you have ample time for your planned trip for the day, have lunch, take photos, have a cup of tea/coffee.

I done a +200km ride on my new Versys 650, piece of cake, it took about 2 hours + a long 1 hour lunch break, I felt I could keep on going all day long so 600km on the V is easily done and I am sure I will do it one day.

With all the small soi's branching the highways it's very risky riding too fast so I only go real fast (+150) when there are no side soi's and no too much traffic.

• Like 2

Old and slow now. On a Road King I can do 10 hours if I push it but I am knackered when I get to where ever I am going.

3-4 stops for fuel, food and water.

I never keep track of Km except for time to change oil but I think from my house to Pattaya is around 600 km. 10 hours unless I happen to be lucky with the traffic (almost never) then it is 9. I start about 7 am and arrive about 5pm. I forgot. Speed is usually 110-120.

A couple of beers and some food and I am ready to sleep.

Edited by Gonsalviz

When we were in Vietnam on the little Wave we did 300km on our very best day on good roads, max speed probably 60/70kph, so I thought 400km on a bigger bike and that's it.

The last time I road the NV 90kph cruising felt good as a maximum, so thought 80-90 would be comfortable 2 up on the open road.

The reason I am contemplating a new bike is reliability, but with most renewable parts replaced (plus a couple more that will be) and the rest of the bike is strong and should get there. The NV is quite comfortable for a passenger, being a semi-cruiser and I have struggled to find anything on the market to compete.

We also have my brother in law as emergency back up, he has my old 2 door Toyota and could come get us if we breakdown big-time.

Last year I did an easy 300km round trip on the NV, accompanied by a mate on a PCX150 and comfortable speeds were about the same, I thought we were doing 80kph, but found the speedo was out on my old bike and that we were actually doing 90.

So I am still thinking about 400km as a maximum.

Edited by AllanB

>So I am still thinking about 400km as a maximum.

Just try it. Do a 400km round trip with your wife at the weekend and see how it goes. Start early at dusk and it shouldnt be a problem to get home before dawn. Worst case call a taxi or brother in law for your wife to pick her up ;)

• Like 1

Just try it. Do a 400km round trip with your wife at the weekend and see how it goes. Start early at dusk and it shouldnt be a problem to get home before dawn. Worst case call a taxi or brother in law for your wife to pick her up wink.png

I don't know what this means but it's funny funny funny.

What we have done before is to leave early 5/6am, knock off a 100km then find breakfast still before 8am, and in this case 1/4 of our riding is done already. After breakfast do 150km and then an early lunch, say 11am, tank up and that leaves the whole afternoon to do 150km, then stop early.

Being on the Mittapap road, Route 2 so early has to be a good idea and 90kph will keep us ahead of the trucks.

Then the afternoon run can be done in 3 or even 4 short stints, knowing we have up to 6 hours to do 150km and find some digs.

That's the theory but never done 400km before, even solo....

Just try it. Do a 400km round trip with your wife at the weekend and see how it goes. Start early at dusk and it shouldnt be a problem to get home before dawn. Worst case call a taxi or brother in law for your wife to pick her up wink.png

I don't know what this means but it's funny funny funny.

Glad i made your life a bit better today :)