Why do Thais never remove ugly stickers from new fridge, aircon etc?

Mcffee

does not worry me. just looked and the frig has the eff sticker as well as about 20 frig magnets advertising all sorts of crap. the washing machine still has the 5 year motor guarantee sticker

• Like 2

Probably the same reason why all the ladies in the wife's village still have the power # sticker on their eyeglass lens! drives me crazy...I just wanna peel em off!

Don't look st the sticker. I know it's hard....

They do sell special sticker remover fluid, you know. I found it at Central or Tops or someplace and attacked the stickers on the toilets and appliances in our rental condo. Those stickers had to be at least 6 or 8 years old and boy-oh-boy they sure were hard to remove. That fluid did a real number on my manicure, too.

WD 40 works well to remove old adhesive from stickers and tape.

In this case I don't think it has anything to do with wanting to show off but just that they are very hard to remove and they don't want to leave marks on their brand new fridge. I just got myself a new fridge and I have some gobshite smiling at me I would love to get him off my fridge but I don't really want a big white mark on my fridge for the next ten years.

My Thai wife once got upset with me when I removed all the stickers from a new computer I had just bought.

I asked why I shouldn't remove them.

She replied that if I ever had problems with the computer they would need the info from the stickers to repair it!

I smiled.whistling.gif

I know of some people who bought a new pickup truck about 6 years ago, and...never took the plastic off the seats.

a local internet shop bought some new chairs but didnt remove the plastic covers. they were left to slowly deteriorate and fall off through usage making the smart new chairs look increasingly shabby.

i have seen many examples of new furniture not having the covering removed.

dont try to work out what a thai is thinking.

Last month I went to get the first yearly book service on my car. As I was getting in the drivers seat, the young service lady came up with a sticker and tried to stick it right in front of me on the top drivers side windshield. I said stop! She said ok, she went around the car, opened the passenger door, and tried to stick it on that side in a badly situated place. Needless to say, I stopped that too, stating I was smart enough to remember when the next service was due.

The reason is that someone has to make a decision and take responsibility for removing these stickers, films and wrappings. Decisions and responsibility are to be avoided at all times in Thailand and therefore nobody removes them.

It is same as with packaging and protective film on legs of chairs, labels on toilet seats and urinals.

My biggest annoyance is that this proves that the items with stickers still on have also never been properly cleaned, when it comes to toilets and seats in for example a hospital this gives me a dirty feeling knowing that there are lots of sick people using these items for years.

• Like 1

Last month I went to get the first yearly book service on my car. As I was getting in the drivers seat, the young service lady came up with a sticker and tried to stick it right in front of me on the top drivers side windshield. I said stop! She said ok, she went around the car, opened the passenger door, and tried to stick it on that side in a badly situated place. Needless to say, I stopped that too, stating I was smart enough to remember when the next service was due.

Many years ago I had a tow bar fitted to a vehicle. When I went to pick the car up I noticed a large sticker right across my back windscreen advertising the product.

When paying I asked what discount they were giving me. They seemed surprised at my cheek and said none. I then stated I wasn't interested in giving them free advertising on my vehicle and to remove the sticker. They did so, but with some bad humour.

• Like 1

I believe it's a status thing. We have two fridges in our home, one is 3 years old and a new one that was purchased several months ago. My gf refuses to remove the stickers from either one. I think she wants her friends to see that they were purchased as new items. Not too long ago I removed the stickers from our new LCD TV while she was out shopping and she was visibly upset that I had when she saw what I had done. I apologized and promised to never do it again. LOL, a happy gf is a happy life. My gf is filipina so it's the same in the Philippines also.

I must be odd then. I did not remove my efficiency rating sticker from my fridge freezer. To be honest, I never saw a problem with it.

Me too; maybe it's a farang OCD thing!

maybe some appreciate beauty more than others?

• Like 1

Most Thais who are in the modern consumer culture grew up in circumstances where buying a new appliance or vehicle was a big event.

Most of us took those things for granted... it was no big deal.

Spot on. Well said.

• Like 1

They do sell special sticker remover fluid, you know. I found it at Central or Tops or someplace and attacked the stickers on the toilets and appliances in our rental condo. Those stickers had to be at least 6 or 8 years old and boy-oh-boy they sure were hard to remove. That fluid did a real number on my manicure, too.

it's called I think Gum off in the states