Alone at controls, co-pilot sought to 'destroy' the plane

Lite Beer

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/germanwings-crash-probe-turns-on-depressed-co-pilot/ar-AAa4x9r?ocid=mailsignoutmd

The Germanwings co-pilot who flew his Airbus into a French mountainside, killing all 150 aboard, suffered serious depression, a German newspaper reported, raising new questions over how he was cleared to fly.

The black box voice recorder shows that Andreas Lubitz locked his captain out of the cockpit on Tuesday and deliberately sent Flight 4U 9525 into the Alps, French officials say, in what appears to have been an act of suicide and mass murder.
Initial portraits of the co-pilot painted a well-liked man, a fitness fanatic who lived with his parents in a leafy, upscale street in the west German town of Montabaur. But a troubled man hid behind that guy-next-door image, said by German officials to be 27.

And you believe Bild? The worst newspaper in the world for making up stories and lying

This article is very troubling if true. History of depression, prohibited from flying certain routes, recently cleared to fly Europe, trouble with girlfriend of 7 years . . . What little F'er to exact his little wimpy arrssee I am upset because my girlfriend doesn't like my whinny butt think I will give up loser mentality on innocent people and children.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/andreas-lubitiz-germanwings-copilot-deemed-unsuitable-for-flight-duties-during-lufthansa-flight-school-training-10137941.html

Little sissy . . . Oh, I cannot handle it. My girlfriend is upset with me and life is so horrible being a pilot with a great future and from a wealthy family so I think I will just kill a bunch of people to make my suicide show them. F wad.

Edited by F430murci
  • Like 1

b]

Well, his name looks classically German, so ethnicity is likely not an 'issue'. But what are you saying? That airlines should discriminate against people of certain ethnicities or faiths in their hiring??

Do you deny that there are certain "ethnicities or faiths" that are causing more unrest in the world today than others?

Reports say there was no free fall, but a gradual, slow descent. From what I have read here in this thread, the passengers were unaware of what was happening until the very last moment.

A very nice sentiment, but unlikely, I'm afraid. The descent was relatively rapid, no announcement to the passengers appears to have been made and those at the front of the plane would have clearly seen and heard the pilot using more and more force on the cockpit door to try to open it. Latest reports indicate that he began to use an axe on the door. None of this would have been exactly reassuring to the poor passengers.

• Like 1

Searches of his home reflect pilot was being treated for ongoing illness that would have deemed him unfit for work and he apparently destroyed some records in his possession relating to this condition. They have found no evidence that anything was religious or politically motivated. Appears to be a just a selfish act from a selfish person with no cojones.

Reports say there was no free fall, but a gradual, slow descent. From what I have read here in this thread, the passengers were unaware of what was happening until the very last moment.

A very nice sentiment, but unlikely, I'm afraid. The descent was relatively rapid, no announcement to the passengers appears to have been made and those at the front of the plane would have clearly seen and heard the pilot using more and more force on the cockpit door to try to open it. Latest reports indicate that he began to use an axe on the door. None of this would have been exactly reassuring to the poor passengers.

A rate of decent was chosen that didn't set off any alarms or warnings. The weather in the area was reportedly cloudy with scattered showers. Apart from those at the front, the bulk of the passengers would have been unaware of anything seriously wrong. The screams heard on the CVR in the final seconds is probably when the plane was low enough to clear the clouds and they suddenly realised they were flying into the mountains.

• Like 2

When I was a small kid, if you got lucky, a flight attendant would lead you to the cockpit to see what was going on up front (meaning no security). Since 9/11, whatever the truth of that event, there have been a lot of changes in security in the airline industry. I do wonder how many of the events that have followed since that time might not have occurred if those 'security' measures were not in place, and how long it will take for all the fatalities combined to add up to the 911 event, and then surpass it.

So you maybe don't care about this incident but I do, I am waiting for my sister

to contact me but she has not done yet I do not know if she was on that flight

I can't get any answers I rang for the past 2 days but no answer

??? You don't know if your sister was on the flight because you have not talked to her for two days? I have not talked to my brother for two days, but I am not concerned he was on that flight. Surely you could call their hotline if you are a family member and truly concerned. Truly sorry if this is legit and not a pathetic attention ploy.

As you know they don't release the names just the number of passengers by country

As you would know, they would contact family members or family members can contact their hot line and ask if their loved ones were on board. That is what my post stated. If I suspected my brother sister was on the flight, I would be calling airline or hot line to confirm.

• Like 2

I do not have any contacts with my family apart from my sister so I have to wait

But I believe in Faith

"Germanwings has set up worldwide 24-hours telephone hotlines. Passengers’ relatives can call following numbers: 00800 11 33 55 77 (from Germany, Switzerland, Austria and Luxemburg), 900 838 450 (from Spain), 0800 014 8904 (from UK), 0 800 909 095 (from France) or +1 407 362 0632 (international, toll)."

WE NOW KNOW THE PILOT DID IT DELIBERATLEY

There is a lot of evidence in the public domain to suggest so, but enquires are still in the early days, also a lot of information from the French Prosecutor but I am of the understanding thet investigation into this event are conducted by the The French BEA (Bureau d'Enquêtes et d'Analyses pour la sécurité de l'aviation civile).

Also posting cabin crew in the cockpit while one of a two man person crew take a comfort break is nothing new I have heard of some airlines doing it in the past, and although an number of airlines have implemented it with immediate effect I feel this is to little without training and vetting of cabin crew to be able to handle any situation, unfortunately I feel the looked cabin door has been responsible for more deaths than have been saved by it.(LAM Flight 470, Malaysian Airlines flight MH370, Helios Airways Flight 522 and now Germanwings flight 4U-9525)

According to the news, the torn up notes are sick notes where a doctor certifies that Lubitz is unfit for work.

He was apparently angry about this and tore up the notes.

The media says Lubitz hid his illness from the company.

Question: how is that even possible? shouldn't the doctor communicate directly with Germanwings?

• Like 1

Torn up sick notes relating to mental illness found. It just gets better

According to pprune.org the copilot was "grounded" - apparently for a longer period - on medical grounds and chose to ignore it. It is said that he should not have flown on that day and instead have informed his employer. A torn up "sick note" for a period of time including that day was found when police searched his parents´ house where he was living.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2015-03-27/germanwings-co-pilot-had-sick-note-on-day-of-crash

edit: typo

Edited by MikeOboe57

Guess you're one of those who believe that mental diseases are not curable.

Clearly not cured in the case of this pilot..........

To operate a high tech aircraft and be responsible for 150 human lives, I would expect the flight deck would comprise four crew, an engineer, a navigator, chief pilot and co pilot but obviously the flying public has been short changed and the aircraft industry has been exposed for what they are, an ever growing rabble of cost savers where money and profits over rule safety and commonsense, Screw you all !

• Like 2

Not just this topic but car/motorcycle crashes. They are not accidents. Murder, manslaughter maybe , but accidents can't be avoided. If a piece of tree blows into your bike or car , or a bird flies into your windscreen that is an accident. If a drunk runs you down or a pilot commits suicide it is not an accident.

• Like 2

Thanks to many posters for trying to define terrorism in answer to my question.

I'm truly grateful yet still confused. It appears the term is used today rather loosely, depending on individual points of view.

Violence/aggression to be considered terrorism (sorry for not directly quoting) must contain elements of

• political aims;
  • higher cause;
  • political agenda;

as opposed to murder/suicide case.

Without trying to discount the opinions quoted, it seems to me that the same action can be proclaimed either/or depending on our wish.

Say, I rob a bank and kill some people in the process. If I give the proceeds to my political party to buy arms - I am a terrorist. If I keep the money - I am a killer/robber? But the process and victims are the same.

A serial killer terrorizing his neighborhood is simply a killer as long as he does it because he likes to kill. But a killer using a bomb in a public place and blowing himself up is a terrorist because he simply likes to kill and hates people.

Now, back to our A320. 150 people killed. The perpetrator didn't say a word. He may be a terrorist. He may be a killer/suicide case. Same horrible result, just different name we assign to him.

Is there any difference? Does it really matter? I mean what's the difference if he didn't say a word, or had said "banzai", or "Allah Akbar" or "Hail Mary"?

I understand suicides. But usually they are alone. Dying is a lonely business. All the grieving stay back. All saying RIP also stay back. Why take 150 lives if he was not a terrorist?

Edited by ABCer