Growing fish as a Hobby.

If you're not selling them, how is this any different than having a vegetable garden or orchard? I suppose if someone was doing this on a fairly large scale and giving away the fish, then someone could get upset and raise a fuss, but the same could happen to a foreigner with a hobby farm who was giving away produce to the local wat or school. They would be taking away business from a local merchant.

Edited by NancyL

OP, I think it would depend on the scale of your hobby.

If for instance you had 6 x 200,000 liter tanks in your back yard, full of fish, then you might have a problem.........................wink.png

Or even 5 wouldn't be trouble free IMHO..........................tongue.png

My wife did it....we grew talapia in tanks in the back yard....one fish grew to over 3 kg....a monster...but they breed like rabbits, we had thousands upon thousands of baby fish from an initial stock of about 4 fish....I suppose in the wild, the baby fish get eaten by predators.

No, yes, maybe, don't know!

It doesn't matter what anyone says here. These questions always come back to the labour laws definition of work. Breeding fish as a hobby requires work; therefore, a work permit. Whether you sell them or not doesn't matter. The only way you'll know for sure is to ask at the department of labour office.

But if I were you I'd just do it.

Cooking your own breakfast is work too. So is mowing your lawn. Unfortunately there is very little to protect you from the opinion of immigration as to what they will consider work. The best thing to do is to hire people when you can, and don't piss anyone off.

• Like 1

If you are not selling them on then there should be no problem. There is an old dried out fish pond on some land my GF has. We intend to get some fish in there and build a little shack. Maybe plant some banana and mango trees. It is her land and it will be her fish so if they get over populated and she sells them on then no problems. Me, I'm gonna sit on the bank with my fishing rod and a few cold ones and enjoy the sunshine. No work involved.

Providing you`re not keeping and breeding these fish on an industrial scale and they are only kept as pets or as a supply or fresh fish meals for yourself and family, than ABSOLUTELY NO NEED FOR A WORK PERMIT or even a need to mention to anyone.

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 2

If you are not selling them on then there should be no problem. There is an old dried out fish pond on some land my GF has. We intend to get some fish in there and build a little shack. Maybe plant some banana and mango trees. It is her land and it will be her fish so if they get over populated and she sells them on then no problems. Me, I'm gonna sit on the bank with my fishing rod and a few cold ones and enjoy the sunshine. No work involved.

Be sure that the pond will have water all year, and will be oxygenated in same way. I put 200 baby fish on my wife pond during rain season...

Now..all dead.

• Like 1

Be sure that the pond will have water all year, and will be oxygenated in same way. I put 200 baby fish on my wife pond during rain season...

Now..all dead.

Funny you should mention that. The GF is insisting we dig a new pond as she says there is not enough water where the old one is located. I thought that didn't make sense as she would lose some good rice paddy where she wants to dig the new one. Looks like she is the clever one.smile.png

• Like 1

Will be growing and breeding Tilapia Fish. Grown for eating

I am sure you would be putting yourself in jeopardy. If you do ANYTHING in Thailand you can be busted for doing work without a permit. This is the principle that the Thai nation holds against you. If it is work then you should hire a Thai to do it. IF it is something that No Thais have expertise in doing - then Rule #1 applies.

If a neighbor sees you tending your garden or tinkering with your ride they can report you to the authorities. If you put the project in your wife's name then you have to have a permit to work as her advisor.

A guy who made a boat as a hobby, got into trouble regarding work permit!

If I recall correctly it was boats not a a boat. And he was selling them.

I remember the same story, but somehow it did not matter according to immigration. It was still considered work.

In my 25+ years in Asia, only Thailand has such stringent labor laws. In Thailand, "work" is a four letter word.

• Like 1

My wife buys her fish from the department of fisheries, they give her receipt with her name and address on, sometimes I feed them sometimes she feeds them. Some she eats, some go to the family the rest sell's up to her.

My wife buys her fish from the department of fisheries, they give her receipt with her name and address on, sometimes I feed them sometimes she feeds them. Some she eats, some go to the family the rest sell's up to her.

Great advice for the OP -- have the wife buy all the supplies for the little hobby and be sure she gets receipts.