Total lunar eclipse observable from Thailand on 4 April

Lite Beer

Finally, something exciting happens on my birthday. My favorite freelancer just rang me to tell me she's going back to the province ('no customer') and I'm wondering how I'm going to endure Pnomh Penh during the hottest month of the year, but an eclipse on your birthday has to be a good sign, right fellas ? Er, fellas ?

<sound of chirping crickets>

You may want to listen to an old Bonnie Tyler song then. giggle.gif

Edited by apalink_thailand
  • Like 2

Penumbral Eclipse begins 4 Apr, 09:01 4 Apr, 16:01 No, below horizon

Partial Eclipse begins 4 Apr, 10:15 4 Apr, 17:15 No, below horizon

Full Eclipse begins 4 Apr, 11:57 4 Apr, 18:57 Yes

Maximum Eclipse 4 Apr, 12:00 4 Apr, 19:00 Yes

Full Eclipse ends 4 Apr, 12:02 4 Apr, 19:02 Yes

Partial Eclipse ends 4 Apr, 13:44 4 Apr, 20:44 Yes

Penumbral Eclipse ends 4 Apr, 14:59 4 Apr, 21:59 Yes

Times for Bangkok (no significant deviation for other places in Thailand).

Only 5 minutes of total eclipse.

http://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/lunar/2015-april-4

Thanks for the link.

When Christopher Columbus came to the New World—specifically, the north coast of Jamaica—he was able to use European scientific understanding to correctly predict a lunar eclipse. The event is known as the March 1504 lunar eclipse, and occurred when Columbus, after he wanted to be seen as god-like, stated that he would make the Moon disappear during the night of February 29, 1504. The reason Columbus wanted to prove he could make the Moon disappear is because he and his crew were eating a great deal of the inhabitants' food, and the inhabitants refused to feed them anymore. Columbus was right in his prediction, for he used astronomical tables and local clocks in order to predict when the lunar eclipse would happen, and was able to convince the inhabitants that he had the power to make the Moon disappear and then reappear. After the inhabitants believed that Columbus was truly able to make the Moon disappear, they begged him to return the Moon to its previous form, and after roughly an allotted amount of time (the amount of time Columbus discerned to be how long the eclipse would last), Columbus agreed to return the Moon, and the Moon began to reappear. The next day, the inhabitants gave Columbus and his crew the food they desired.[8]

• Like 2

When Christopher Columbus came to the New World—specifically, the north coast of Jamaica—he was able to use European scientific understanding to correctly predict a lunar eclipse. The event is known as the March 1504 lunar eclipse, and occurred when Columbus, after he wanted to be seen as god-like, stated that he would make the Moon disappear during the night of February 29, 1504. The reason Columbus wanted to prove he could make the Moon disappear is because he and his crew were eating a great deal of the inhabitants' food, and the inhabitants refused to feed them anymore. Columbus was right in his prediction, for he used astronomical tables and local clocks in order to predict when the lunar eclipse would happen, and was able to convince the inhabitants that he had the power to make the Moon disappear and then reappear. After the inhabitants believed that Columbus was truly able to make the Moon disappear, they begged him to return the Moon to its previous form, and after roughly an allotted amount of time (the amount of time Columbus discerned to be how long the eclipse would last), Columbus agreed to return the Moon, and the Moon began to reappear. The next day, the inhabitants gave Columbus and his crew the food they desired.[8]

so....can i finagle a beer by repeating this trick?

So excuse my ignorance but does this mean the earth is between the moon and the sun?

You better thank the Lord that you're not Thai otherwise you'd get the bashing of your life for asking such a question on this Forum !! clap2.gif

And yes, it means the earth will be between the sun and the moon. In a solar eclipse, the moon is between the sun and the earth.

Edited by Yann55
  • Like 1

What area of the sky will it be at ?

So many tall buildings around here I am not sure if I will be able to see it ?

The moon will rise over the horizon partially eclipsed.

Moon rise will be just slightly South of due East

I think moonrise 1826 tonight for Bangkok

http://www.timeanddate.com/moon/thailand/bangkok

For me, I think the eclipse will be behind the local hill, and we'll miss it, just like the New Year fireworks

It'll probably come up behind the hill completely eclipsed, but maybe I'll catch the end, as the shadow clears the moon

SC

You can save time by watching it here. http://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/in/thailand/pattaya

For the first 25 seconds or so of the "video" the screen is completely black because the moon is below the horizon. Then it suddenly pops up. Not a celestial occurrence one sees every day.

Or something slightly more informative here : http://new.livestream.com/GriffithObservatoryTV/LunarEclipseApril2015

post-145917-0-09499200-1428149731_thumb.

Yeah, there's still a spot of moon between 8 and 9 o'clock (direction wise) and it's 19;15

It's past the total point which was at around 19.00 and only for about 5 minutes, we barely saw it as the moon was behind trees.

Moon is now returning to normal.