pig on a spit

davetrout

l don't know if this is the right forum anyway l have a electric spit in issan. l want to buy a 40 kilo pig and make crackle l believe just cut the skin and rub in salt & oil.l was wondering about the inside do some stuffing or baste it. my thai family have never done this so l want to make it a big treat for songran. any ideas would be of great help.

ps l have tried internet to no avail.

Coals to Newcastle?

The Isaanites are past masters at the pig-on-a-spit. Save yourself some time (and the electric bill) and get some kudos from your local family and friends by getting the local moo-hahn people to do it for you.

If you are in or near Meuang Udon Thani, I can tell you where to go.

I 100% agree with NanLaew. . The locals will know what to . However, I like to baste a portion of the Pig with a homemade Bbq sauce. Google Texas Jack bbq sauce. You can substitue Hong Thong for the Jack.

I made some BBQ sauce when I was in Isaan. The Thais loved it.

Remember that in the US there are two basic types of sauce. There's Texas style and Southern style. Both have that sweet and sour thing happening, but Southern is sweeter. I did the Southern. There are lots of recipes on the net including but not limited to YouTube.

Both styles have vinegar and sweetener - sometimes it's brown sugar and sometimes it's molasses. Southern has a higher ratio of sugar to vinegar. I use brown sugar and white vinegar and tomato paste, not tomato sauce. Then are are other things like salt and pepper and garlic, etc.

The Thais did the actual roasting and with permission, I kept basting it with sauce.

Good luck and have fun. Thais love that sort of thing.

Edited by NeverSure

What you want to do is prick the skin rather than cut into it as it will shrink away and often burn while cooking. Look at the picture above to see what I mean. Need one of these....

IMG_8786.JPG

Do you have any photos of whole roasted pigs that you have done using this, would be interested to see end product

Moved to Isaan Forum.

This is NOT a Mod flame. But why move to a local forum ? Maybe someone in another area has info on this subject.

Just wondering.

l was wondering that myself. l put on general to reach a bigger audiance. l think they like to push the button too much, after all it has nothing to do with issan.

Do you have any photos of whole roasted pigs that you have done using this, would be interested to see end product

I'm afraid I don't so went looking for an existing picture

pig+head+10.jpg

The idea behind it is to puncture or damage as many cell walls as you can be bothered doing which then burst open during the cooking process giving a very light crispy texture similar to pork rinds or grat{t}ons. Though full of very small holes, the skin retains its integrity so juices do not flow out of the meat while cooking which can make it dry.

• Like 1

This is a very timely post. I am from the US and have roasted a whole pig on the spit in my past, and plan on doing the same for Thai family this Songkran. I see that you used charcoal to roast the pig. Does anyone have any suggestions on type of wood instead of using charcoal? I have used fruit and oak wood in the past with great success.

Thanks for any suggestions. Hope that everyone has a safe and fun Songkran holiday.

Don't know if you will find oak here but should be plenty of fruit and hard wood around. Not sure how much flavor you will get with wood vs. charcoal if it is an open roasting setup. I have a smaller smoker that has a lid on it to contain the smoke and that works great with what ever wood I find around. I also use coconut husks for smoke,. works fine and easy to get..

I had this homemade pig BBQ made in my Isaan village in 2004. As you can see, no spit. This is how it was done in North Carolina, southern style. The "crackling" is delicious.

post-171-0-61344500-1428540698_thumb.jpg

post-171-0-68086700-1428540870_thumb.jpg