Survey: Are foreigners in Thailand more negative than people in their home country?

Scott

Are foreigners in Thailand more negative than people in their home country?  

377 members have voted

1. 1. Are foreigners in Thailand more negative than people in their home country?

• Yes, foreigners are more negative overall than people in their home country.
    • No, foreigners are not more negative overall than people in their home country.

This poll is closed to new votes

It seems that there is a fair amount of negativity on the part of foreigners in Thailand. In your opinion, are foreigners in Thailand more negative than people in their home country?

Please feel free to comment and give us your ideas on the topic.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Many things in Thailand are managed poorly. In foreign country's the westerners all complaint about them so they will be improved.

In Thailand nobody complaints and takes things as they are. So it looks like westerners are more negativ but believe me the Thai also don't like it.

Example: Yesterday at Victory Monument, there were qeueu's from 30 metre for the ticketvending machines and cashiers. That's insane but no Thai will complaint, they even apologise to eachother when those machines won't accept their coins and other travellers have to wait longer because of that. wai2.gif

In the West this would happen one time only, then we all complaint and the manager of the skytrain would be informed. If he didn't change that very fast then we would sack him and rent a real manager.

That's not being negative, It's how western country's became developed.

Edited by Thian

Yes. Most are all but visitors living on the edge of the surrounding culture and well out of their "comfort zone". Some live a meagre existence in villages thinking about 1) why did this happen to me. Or 2) it's somebody else's fault.

You get out what you put in IMO.

Reading this forum I am often overwhelmed by the negativity of these people, and the they're all out to get you sort of attitude. Often leaves me wondering: what the <deleted> they are doing here. Or am I still wearing rose colored glasses after 24 years in Thailand?

As people with a broader vision of the world expats are in a good position to offer constructive criticism. But most end up whining based on a very basic misunderstanding. A number of countries in the world reward hard work and innovation. Greater China, the USA, some parts of Europe jump to mind. Thailand is not one of them. It is a tourist destination, a "budget" one.

So as I always say, when in Thailand lower your expectation until you have none. Enjoy the sun, the beach ... And when you're done move on.

Edited by JohnnyJazz

I think most questions so far are too general. There is a big difference between foreigners on TVF and just foreigners here on short or long holidays. I meet many foreigners here for holidays. They mostly like it very much and I hear very few negative comments and many good ones. On TVF it's more like junior high school girls bitching about every possible thing in their lives. When you wake up negative many people stay that way the rest of the day.

People posting on Thaivisa are definitely more negative than, well, pretty much any demographic of people you could mention. However that's not typical of expats here out in the real world, where most people I know or meet are very positive and love living here.

A post in a foreign language has been removed as well as a reply. This is an English language forum, English is the only acceptable language anywhere on ThaiVisa including Classifieds, except within the Thai language forum, where of course using Thai is allowed.

The answer is YES, just read the posts, and you can say most cathegories. Most sad it's that they always find something to complaint about even when people have jumped from balconies or other fatal accidents. Then it's the way the police mention medications, diapers etc that bother them. There are of course a decent amount of people that appreciate Thailand and their wonderful people. I'm a older male with my fare share of illnesses and some days I don't want to see people due to severe pain, but when you walk outside or visit your local restaurant specially on theses bad days and are greeted with all these amazing smiles your pain melts away and you realize how lucky you are that are accepted in their country.

Is everything picture perfect here? Of course not, but at least you have a place where you feel safe, where people respect you and your handicaps and if you fall on the street or drop your cane someone will help you or pick up your cane with a smile. I went to Big C the other day and bought a little bit to much staff, took taxi home and the security guard in my condo building saw that I struggled and came and helped me up to my condo with the bags. My doorman in New York would do the same after I have to call him and he would expect no less then $20.00 tip for that, are occasions when the doorman have asked for $40.00 and don't even offer a smile. With this said, yes I think a lot of people here have nothing better to do then complain.

It may well be that those posting here are seeking to see their own language as they find their understanding of the local dialect(s) and some of the local customs a trifle challenging.

Integration can at times be challenging, indeed it is not an unknown factor to find little cliques of insular immigrants in any country whose views are perhaps somewhat negative.

However bear in mind that you'll find a number of Thai people who live outside of Thailand do exactly the same as just about every other group of ex-pat types do here or elsewhere no matter where they come from.

Life is what you make it some days are good some are bad.

However in the long run personally as far as I am concerned my view(s) are positive as are the views of the few other foreigners I mix with.

Edited by siampolee

the Poll's parameters are too broad.

Are foreigners in Thailand more negative than people in their home country?

Yes if you are talking about life in Thailand - people in their home countries probably don't think too much about Thailand

No if you are talking about UK politics - I doubt many British expats care as much about the UK Government as people who live in the UK do.

Where are you trying to take the poll? and for what purpose?

More negative ... Not really and not me for sure smile.png
I just love the way this country is. I can throw trash along the country side, pee along the street with cars going by, drive my motor bike the wrong way on a street, run red lights, jump lines with my car, basically break all rules and still people say Never mind ( Mi Pen Ri). And if I were only a Thai person I could even have so much more freedom to do unto others anything I want and they would still say Never Mind. Unless you do something that directly affects them and makes them loose face they will basically look the other way. Mi Penri ( Thai language removed)
If only all countries were the same .... 555
Now Wasn't that positive ?

Edited by metisdead
English is the only acceptable language anywhere on ThaiVisa including Classifieds, except within the Thai language forum, where of course using Thai is allowed.

Thailand is for me all ready 5 years a very good country, and I am thankful for that! If there are foreigners who complaining about many things in Thailand, buy yourself a ticket and go there where you come from. I know also that the governement with the prime minister have to change many things. But two city's never build on one day, isn't?

I voted yes but am probably swayed by the extreme negativity on Thaivisa. I rarely visit and usually for specific reasons or following a story from my update. I really don't understand how people can wallow in such negativity for hours every day.

But my interactions with expats outside of TV paints a different story. Sure, there are people, including me, who complain but no more than what I see in my home country or other countries I've lived in.

My god, if I was thinking of moving to Thailand, and visited the TV forums first, I'd stay as far away as possible.

Farangs in Thailand, and especially on this forum, seem indeed (much much) more negative than anywhere else in the whole universe.

Probably because they did not find the "paradise" they were hoping for, live on limited resources, see Thai people happier (many times richer) than they are, don't understand the society in which they live, don't understand the language, cannot adapt to the local culture and cannot make locals adapt to their own farang culture, ... without speaking about the sex and love desilusions.

It looks to me that many foreigners came to the wrong country.

But since these negative people stick to Thailand, and this forum in particular, it must be assumed that Thailand is still better than their own country.

Personally I live quite well in Thailand. Quite happy too ;)

Edited by gerry1011

I guess it's just that the "Victor Meldrews" of the Thai expat community seem to have made themselves at home on TVF, I don't think it's a true representation of all of the expats in TH. On Teak Door the members slag each other and the Thais of course, but seem to be more upbeat about it.

If someone writes or speaks the truth how can you call that being negative .... Putting a positive spin on crime, corruption, bad manors etc is just dishonest .... And so not to appear negative, I am positive in that statement ! Have a nice day :)

Edited by ttthailand

The main concerns for us are:

1.strength of Thai baht

2.Duplicity of many Thais(smile at your face then gossip after)

3. Dual pricing

4. crazy traffic and drunken driving.

Many are getting worried they cannot afford to live here on Pensions.

SO THE PROMISE OF DEVALUATION IS A MUST-for Thailand and farang.Appart from that I am very happy to live here.