Living 6 months in Thailand & 6 months in my home country, still can get yearly extension ?

Hello,

I'm French, I got several marriage based visa extensions for the past few years living in Thailand, but now I'm thinking about spending 6 months in Thailand & 6 months in my home country every year (on one hand, I begin to miss my country & my family too much, one another one I'd rather not live another winter in France wink.png ) .

When asking to do the yearly extension at immigration after being 6 months away from Thailand, would I get any problem ?

Note: I found a recent topic with a similar issue, but it focused on money issue, rather than the yearly schedule ( here => http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/789042-o-a-extension-with-a-6-month-absence/ )

Thanks in advance for any answer !

You are aware that for 6 months you could also use the route of standard Non-O multiple visa obtained in your home country and do one or more border runs while in Thailand?

Might be easier in this case. No need for financials in Thailand e.g.

• Like 1

Since you will always need to be in Thailand at annual extension time (plus maybe a few weeks beforehand to get financials, etc sorted in good time), your best-laid plans will, of course, be scuppered if your annual extension is due during French summer months!

I do 8 here and 4 in my home country, annually, and I find that the O-A visa is the best for me. By timing it correctly I can get away with two "winters" here with no border runs, Embassy income letter or 800,000 in a Thai Bank, or worrying about timing an extension of stay

Don't know what the Thai Embassy in Paris requires but in the US it is pretty straightforward

There are some who scoff at the police report, medical, and financial proof that has to be provided for an O-A but I find it easier to deal with a Thai Embassy than Thai Immigration and timing the documentation for an annual extension of stay. I only deal with them twice a season for my 90 day reports and never have to deal with my Embassy in Thailand

• Like 2

Thanks for all the answers ! Now, I just have to find a way to get 2 homes without going bankrupt ! tongue.png

@KhunBENQ,

I'd rather avoid to do border runs ; I have tiring memories from them, and although I'm not a big fan of going to the immigration, it's way less painful...

@OJAS,

currently, my extension is due to end of October, which is perfect as weather in France gets too fresh around mid-October, so we'd just come back to Thailand at beginning of October.

@Langsuan Man,

that's a nice way to do it ! Unfortunately, I'm still not old enough to do it... wink.png

Multiple entry tourist visa will get you 180 days

Unfortunately that requires visa cost about Bt 2,500, two extensions and related time Bt 3,800, one border run and its inconvenience, cost depends where one lives but say Bt 3,000 = Bt 9,400.

Yearly extensions and re-entry permit is a better choice at Bt 2,900 total.

I do 8 here and 4 in my home country, annually, and I find that the O-A visa is the best for me. By timing it correctly I can get away with two "winters" here with no border runs, Embassy income letter or 800,000 in a Thai Bank, or worrying about timing an extension of stay

Don't know what the Thai Embassy in Paris requires but in the US it is pretty straightforward

There are some who scoff at the police report, medical, and financial proof that has to be provided for an O-A but I find it easier to deal with a Thai Embassy than Thai Immigration and timing the documentation for an annual extension of stay. I only deal with them twice a season for my 90 day reports and never have to deal with my Embassy in Thailand

The retirement extension is much easier for me. As long as you are here for the annual extensions, either provide an income statement or transfer B800k two months before your extension is due--then spend it in the susequent six months here.

yes this is the type of thing I'll be attempting too , I've timed it slightly wrong for my first attempt , I arrived on a O-A multi at the start of March .. And was informed that other then going to immigration every 90 days just to show them that A , I'm still here and B, where I'm staying .. I don't need to do anything , in fact if I wanted to go back ( uk ) for 3,4 , 5 months it's no issue , but I do get confused as I was also told if I go home in say Jan 2016 , and come back even a day before the issue date ( feb 7th ) . I will get a whole year again , with No bank 800,000 etc either , that will then only kick in at the start of feb 2017 !! . Is that correct .

Ideally I'd like to do October - May in Thailand ... June -sept uk ..

Can I do that on my 0-A m. Visa ? .. And what would I need to do the maintain this ?

UbonJoe knows all re: Visas, but we (Canadian) get a 2 + 2 + 2 visa. Costs us Can$120 each.

60 days initially, then renew for 30 days (1,900 baht) in Phuket Town, must go out of Thailand at 90 days, come back in - same procedure. Viz 60 days, then 30 day renewal. So you can get pretty well 6 months - which suits us (and maybe you too) fine. You could extend it in fact to 9 months by going out again after 180 days.

UbonJoe knows all re: Visas, but we (Canadian) get a 2 + 2 + 2 visa. Costs us Can$120 each.

60 days initially, then renew for 30 days (1,900 baht) in Phuket Town, must go out of Thailand at 90 days, come back in - same procedure. Viz 60 days, then 30 day renewal. So you can get pretty well 6 months - which suits us (and maybe you too) fine. You could extend it in fact to 9 months by going out again after 180 days.

This is normally done by people that do not qualify for a Bt 1,900 extension of stay. that does not require leaving the country. As mentioned above the cost of stay on such tourist visa can easily be Bt 10,000.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Tourist visas are easily available to most ! smile.png

2+2+2 visas do not exist !

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

2+2+2 visas do not exist !

He means triple entry, 60 days each, extensible.

You and I may work that out but the post could have been made in a more intelligent and accurate manner.

You are aware that for 6 months you could also use the route of standard Non-O multiple visa obtained in your home country and do one or more border runs while in Thailand?

We in Australia can't get non-o multiple visa any more not sure about other countrys , I just got my retirement visa . Non o visa have been stop by the new government in thailand, I was told because the thai government wants to stop westerns going to thai and working .

We in Australia can't get non-o multiple visa any more not sure about other countrys , I just got my retirement visa . Non o visa have been stop by the new government in thailand, I was told because the thai government wants to stop westerns going to thai and working .

Quite confusing statements.

Not sure what you want to say.

I can not write about Australia, but in many other countries Non-O multiple visa are available as they have been since years.

In Thailand there is also no basic change to the rules for extension of stay based on retirement or marriage with Thai partner.

Sometimes people have to sign explicit documents that they have understood the rules and are not allowed to work.

Nothing substantially new.

If you can't get a non-o multiple from the Thai Embassy in Canberra, then why are they listing a single entry O as costing AUD $90 and a multiple as costing AUD $225 ?

source: http://canberra.thaiembassy.org/doc/info/VISA%20FEE1.pdf

If you can't get a non-o multiple from the Thai Embassy in Canberra, then why are they listing a single entry O as costing AUD $90 and a multiple as costing AUD $225 ?

source: http://canberra.thaiembassy.org/doc/info/VISA%20FEE1.pdf

Because those would not be based upon being 50 or over for retirement. The embassy and the official consulate in Sydney will only do a OA visa.

Multiple entry visas are still possible if based upon marriage and etc.

As far as I know it is sill possible to get a multiple entry non-o for being 50 or over at some of the honorary consulates.

..............Or a double or triple entry tourist visa........Cheaper too.

Edited by SunsetT