How can I stop TOT from scamming me?

patrickl

I have an internet connection from TOT at our house. The first month, the speed was great. I pay for 10 Mbps. Then, suddenly my speeds dropped to maybe 1-2Mbps. I called TOT (and so did my wife) and they said that there was "a problem" on their end and that it was fixed. The speed was back to 10 Mbps. A few days later, the same thing happened again. Each time I see the "Data Rate / Max Rate" in my router drop to 1-2 Mbps instead of the 10 Mbps I pay for. Each time when I call, they make me go through the whole routine of "please restart your router" and "can you access Facebook?", etc.

After calling 4-5 times about this problem over 2 weeks, suddenly my line goes completely dead. The router can't even connect to the signal. I call them and they tell me that a technician would have to take a look at it, but because it's 8pm I would have to wait until the morning. At 10am the technician comes and the internet is back. After a 14 hour downtime. A few days later, it goes down again. This time for another 12 hours. And yesterday, I had another downtime of 6 hours. So within a week, I've had almost 3 days of no internet, in addition to the constantly reduced speeds the entire month before.

Now, I called again and asked to speak to the supervisor. I explained him the entire history and he basically told me that the reason why I get slow speeds is because they sometimes have to downgrade my package because there are too many people in my area using the internet and otherwise it would "crash" if they allowed everybody the full speed, so I would be downgraded to 1-2Mbps sometimes (which usually lasts the entire day or night).

I asked him why I would then have to pay almost 1000 Baht for the 10Mbps if the 2Mbps package was only around 200 Baht and I was told that "sometimes" it only meant that sometimes I could use "up to 10Mbps". When I asked about the downtime of almost 3 days I was told that they could not guarantee that I would always have internet.

So ...great. In any other country, I would get a refund or at least a better answer. But what can I do here?

TOT is the only internet provider in my area (yes, I'm not in a big city), so I basically have no internet or get scammed for 1000 Baht when I actually get the 200 Baht package and even then I don't get what I paid for because it's constantly down.

What can I do?

We had similar appalling service from them. Days without an internet connection, incredibly slow speeds and this is in the middle of Chonburi City, the second largest city in Thailand. 5 rai plot of land so not some apartment block taking up the signal.

Went and cancelled and if they asked for more money they weren't getting it.

Edited by arthurwait

What is your question? Everything sound just normal. coffee1.gif

Seriously, I remember ALL those internet companies cheating, making false promises and keep rubbing the nails from your fingers, the best solution I found was creating and printing 'complaint forms' to keep complete logs of all problems with my internet.

Sample:

date | time | desciption of problem | duration of problem | called povider y/n/time | talked with | call forwarded to | appointment made | promised call back y/n/time | called back y/n | problem solved y/n | subtotal hours no internet

Every month I presented this form at their office which caused them loss of face, it helped bills getting waived or serious discounts every month. Of course this is no solution, but at least I did only pay for what I really got.

Also: ALWAYS ONLY talk with the manager, the rest is just wasting time.

Edited by Mcffee

No problems with speed here in remote isaan runs like a swiss watch at 10 Meg's , I only recognize when electricity goes down and I using battery from apc.com

And have also light when the rest of village sit into darkness

And search for candle , but I recognize tot

Not have. Any backup power means also when my router still

Online over my battery tot dslam is down also

Same dtac during electricity out

I leave Thailand for a while in 2 week after have year here

Now I want know is it easy to change from 10 meg to 2 meg

And upgrade again are any fees for this downgrade?

Why are you paying Bht1,000 for a 10Mb package?

TOT are currently offering 13Mb for 690 per month (sorry up to 13Mb).

Prior to the 13Mb package they had the 10Mb connection for 590 per month.

Edited by Stocky

I just call the tot hot line

And got information that a 2 Mbit package for only 200 Bhat was told here not exists!

Have only 6 Mbit for 490

And 10 Mbit 590 nearly same price

Maybe 2 Mbit was a older promotion not avalible anymore,?