Breakfast in Jomtien. 2015 Thread

jamesjohnsonthird

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Breakfast is a meal that needs to break an international sound barier......

English...beans toast eggs and tomatos

american ...pancakes eggs and bacon.....

when you get good at this.....expand...see eddie.

I suggest Pastrami and Rye do S.O.S.

The cheap way in Thailand is with minced beef and that's wrong.

They could easily repurpose some of their beef meat to do it properly!

I see from this link it can be served on biscuits.

They've got biscuits.

This could be a winner!

post-37101-0-45704200-1428146530_thumb.j

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chipped_beef

Edited by Jingthing

I once had the misfortune to try the breakfast at Simple Simon's, in Jomtien, which they advertise as the "best" breakfast in the area. Unfortunately, even set against a pretty mediocre English-style breakfast, it fell woefully

short. Cheap ingredients, disgusting coffee, lackadaisical service; it just has nothing to recommend it; unless the standards of the clientele are equally low!

At the opposite end of the spectrum is The Continental, slightly outside of Jomtien close to the Airport Bus terminal. It is a great-value breakfast, offering slight variants of ingredients as a token towards different Nationalities (e.g. English, German, American). It is clean and decent, offers good coffee, and is operated efficiently and politely. Having eaten there a number of times, I would recommend it wholeheartedly.

Despite the bold type I like your post. I don't know anything about Simple Simons as their breakfast menu is not my favorite. The Continental has been there for years, opens early, has a loyal customer base and serves a good breakfast at a very reasonable price. Fully air conditioned, good service, friendly staff, what's not to like?

Were all tired of cold toast...and over

cooked eggs......and tang........and hot dogs.

Pastramionrye.......needs to stop selling a crap breakfast....and start when they get that mojo into a meal they aint thinkin much about....cause ther tired....Il be ther next week.....

They've got biscuits.

This could be a winner!

attachicon.gifShit on a shingle.JPG

I'm sure you know the slang for SOS, probably not something a new restaurant wants to be identified with on their breakfast menu. lol.

Looks horrible to me too....with respect, if that's your best I wouldn't like to tackle your worst. Linda's (beside View Talay 2)

does far better than that starting at 99 Baht.

PS. Was in at the "I Rover" for that hugh nosh up for 99 Baht.....it's now 129 Baht since last week...but still a plowman's breakfast,

Edited by dotpoom

Pastramionrye.......needs to stop selling a crap breakfast....and start when they get that mojo into a meal they aint thinkin much about....cause ther tired....Il be ther next week.....

I think a lot of posters on this thread have never even eaten at Pastrami on Rye or have some serious issue with "quality competition." I have never seen "overcooked eggs, tang or hot dogs at Pastrami on Rye. Unlike some posters, I have actually eaten there. It is, IMHO, a place that is serving good quality breakfast items that are "American." My meal was good and the price was not expensive and the atmosphere was nice along with the waittresses. They have American-style pancakes and French toast (have not eaten it yet, but it looks good to me w/ fresh bananas on top), American-style bacon, bisquits (very large bisquit) and gravy w/ sausage in it, sausage similar to Jimmy Dean sausage (not the British link sausage, which I dislike), a bisquit and egg and cheese sandwich (w/ choice of sausage or ham or bacon on it), several types of omelettes, a Mexican breakfast burrito, ham and eggs, among other items. If you want more European food, fine, go get it at the Continental (which also serves some hard to find items like rosti (what Americans call has brown potatoes..not frozen but homemade) or Danmark (Danmark also has Thai food on their buffet breakfast) or Simple Simons. If you want an American-style breakfast, try Pastrami on Rye or The Moonshine Bar (which also serves some hard to find items like bisquits and gravy, SOS and even grits) or Rich Man Poor Man(which also serves some hard to find items like eggs benedict). The good news is that we have several options for breakfast, no matter where you are from.

Beware of the breakfast in the Continental Jomtien, they serve a large slice of farmhouse toast with a sliver of butter,, an extra sliver will cost you 20 baht extra! Not a lot of money but it spoils what would have been a good breakfast.

They've got biscuits.

This could be a winner!

attachicon.gifShit on a shingle.JPG

I'm sure you know the slang for SOS, probably not something a new restaurant wants to be identified with on their breakfast menu. lol.
No worries. Call it creamed chip beef. It can actually be a wonderful dish if done properly.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I think a lot of posters on this thread have never even eaten at Pastrami on Rye or have some serious issue with "quality competition." I have never seen "overcooked eggs, tang or hot dogs at Pastrami on Rye. Unlike some posters, I have actually eaten there. It is, IMHO, a place that is serving good quality breakfast items that are "American." My meal was good and the price was not expensive and the atmosphere was nice along with the waittresses. They have American-style pancakes and French toast (have not eaten it yet, but it looks good to me w/ fresh bananas on top), American-style bacon, bisquits (very large bisquit) and gravy w/ sausage in it, sausage similar to Jimmy Dean sausage (not the British link sausage, which I dislike), a bisquit and egg and cheese sandwich (w/ choice of sausage or ham or bacon on it), several types of omelettes, a Mexican breakfast burrito, ham and eggs, among other items. If you want more European food, fine, go get it at the Continental (which also serves some hard to find items like rosti (what Americans call has brown potatoes..not frozen but homemade) or Danmark (Danmark also has Thai food on their buffet breakfast) or Simple Simons. If you want an American-style breakfast, try Pastrami on Rye or The Moonshine Bar (which also serves some hard to find items like bisquits and gravy, SOS and even grits) or Rich Man Poor Man(which also serves some hard to find items like eggs benedict). The good news is that we have several options for breakfast, no matter where you are from.

Grits

That's one thing I don't miss about the USA.

Nasty stuff.

Edited by onemorechang

Wow have you ever heard of paragraphs - and yes some of us Jomtien types have whizzed along with our Zimmer frames to check out the latest restaurants.

I think the nicest venue (haven't been to the new Pastrami On Rye but will give it a try) is O'Garas.

Poached eggs on toast, or their small breakfast. Tea pot with milk (without having to ask),

Air conditioned with lots of newspapers to browse.

Everything cooked well and great service. I know the've recently raised their price but good quality.

I love good British tea. Please be specific with the directions as I started looking on Pratumnak approaching soi 4, drove down soi 4 as a short distance. What I did see was O'garas which I posted positively about on restaurant threads. They have a big breakfast and a small breakfast which are excellent. Don't go there frequently because of the location and am not fond of baked beans, stewed tomatoes, Canadian style ham, etc.

It's about 50 yards down Soi 4, last building on the left before the first corner.

This is the building: https://goo.gl/maps/uknyb but it looks a bit different now.

Warning: Irish Wolfhound breakfast contains baked beans and a grilled tomato. I'm told that you can barter something you dont like for more of something you do like, but I've never tried it.

An update on Irish Wolfhound , their excellent breakfast now costs 80 baht, incl coffee. Still best deal in this area.

Without a doubt still the best value breakfast in Pattaya/Jomtien. Have been going there with friends for several years.

Even at 80bht (it had to go up) it is value and quality.

Went to the other Pastrami joint for a sandwich several months ago on recommendation - very ordinary and expensive. Better value at

Bakery next to 7/11 on Jomtien 2nd road.

What I hate is when they do a nice big breakfast, but don't include something like baked beans or mushrooms and charge almost 50% of the BB cost for an extra to be included.

Baked beans and mushrooms with Brekkie is un-American.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I said BIG breakfast, not American breakfast. Wouldn't waste my baht on American breakfast.

U can get the smoked bacon they are using from the tesco express. Its buy one packet and get one free for 99 baht. enough for at least 10 breakfeasts. havent any of u trained your wives in the art of making u the perfect breakfast yet? Anyway the only time i enjoy bacon and eggs ect is when im really hungry in the morning. i think the bread is the biggest part of it. Has to be thick and really crunchy.

My wife does a great big breakfast. Just as good as anything in a restaurant.

I also taught her how to make nice S & S sauce which is better than the anaemic stuff they serve in Thai restaurants. Only decent S & S I had in a Thai restaurant was on Naklua beach.

You could get a far better and bigger buffet breakfast at the Lek Hotel for about the same price.

You have got to be having a laugh

The Lek hotel buffet spread is disgusting only fit as pig food

Used to be OK. Sorry to hear it's gone downhill.

The cheapest lowest quality ingredients do not make a good breakfast in my opinion.

The Lek Buffet looks like an institutional breakfast they might serve in a government run home for juvenile delinquents or something.

I wish the cheapskates would stop dragging every food thread into the battle of the cheap charlies.

Glad to hear Rich Man Poor Man is still up there getting recommendations, it's been a long time favourite of mine anytime I have a trip down to patts/jomtiem,, anyone been to the pig and whistle lately? If still there

Interesting topic. Wish it was about Bangkok, but happy for folks in Pattaya and Jomtien.

One thing I find strange... with all the pork in this country and the huge exports of quality pork products to foreign country standards, etc., why does Thai bacon always disappoint?

I have tried so many... I think I have tried them all. Foodland bacon can be almost acceptable but 80% of the time it is terrible and ridiculously expensive. TGM is no good. Bangkok Brand is bad. I go to Australia or even better the USA and get excellent bacon quite easily.

On the other hand it is impossible to get moo krob in NY. khao kaa moo does not exist in US either.

Still, how hard can it be to cut bacon correctly and smoke it?

Glad to hear Rich Man Poor Man is still up there getting recommendations, it's been a long time favourite of mine anytime I have a trip down to patts/jomtiem,, anyone been to the pig and whistle lately? If still there

I was never impressed by the breakfast at the Pig and Whistle, stick with Rich Man Poor Man or try Back Fabrik.

That bacon is overcooked.

The burgers look disgusting.

The egg reminds me of the washing cloth on my sink.

Where is the butter for the toast?

155Baht for that?

I wouldn't eat it even if it was free.

Are you the person that has been making comments on their Facebook too?

Are you stalking them and why?

I think he has shares in the restaurant Costas, doesnt want to lose trade....555

You could get a far better and bigger buffet breakfast at the Lek Hotel for about the same price.

It has never been ok

I first tryed the Lek buffet 11-12 years ago

It was pig food then

The cheapest lowest quality ingredients do not make a good breakfast in my opinion.

The Lek Buffet looks like an institutional breakfast they might serve in a government run home for juvenile delinquents or something.

I wish the cheapskates would stop dragging every food thread into the battle of the cheap charlies.

They are talking about value for money, doesn't mean they are c***p ch**lies, and after your breakfast you should try going to anger management classes (by the way, i hate the saying 'cheap charlies', people who say that are sooo up themselves, very derogatory....my opinion anyway)

Simons in Soi 5 used to be hands down the best breakfast deal in Jomtien, ..120 baht for 2 back bacon, 2 sausages, 2 eggs, 2 toast with butter, baked beans and stewed tomaotes with a botomless coffee or tea, .. but now it is beans or tomato, one refill of coffee or tea and smaller protions