Breakfast in Jomtien. 2015 Thread

jamesjohnsonthird

Southern biscuits at Danmark? Breakfast burrito?

Where are they in the picture of the American Breakfast at 155B in the first post? That's the one I was talking about.

People who want unusual things will probably be prepared to pay for them, as am I, but I dont see why I should pay 155B for a perfectly ordinary looking bit of bacon and eggs.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Southern biscuits at Danmark? Breakfast burrito?

Where are they in the picture of the American Breakfast at 155B in the first post? That's the one I was talking about.

People who want unusual things will probably be prepared to pay for them, as am I, but I dont see why I should pay 155B for a perfectly ordinary looking bit of bacon and eggs.

We know, we know already.

You can get a perfectly good breakfast for a lot cheaper and there is nothing wrong with using food supplies that are near their expiration date.

We know, we know already.

You can get a perfectly good breakfast for a lot cheaper and there is nothing wrong with using food supplies that are near their expiration date.

As far as I know Casa Pascal and Hotel Denmark and a whole load of other places (which most likely includes both Pastrami on Rye and the Irish Wolfhound) all do much of their basic shopping at Makro.

Just like me.

An update on Irish Wolfhound , their excellent breakfast now costs 80 baht, incl coffee. Still best deal in this area.

I saw that their price had gone up but havent been recently due to my diet which forbids bread or beans.

Do they still do the 100B "full monty" or has the small one been modified?

Re An update on Irish Wolfhound

They still do the 100B "full monty" too.

2 sausages, 2eggs etc, also includes 2 tea's or coffee's.

U can get the smoked bacon they are using from the tesco express. Its buy one packet and get one free for 99 baht. enough for at least 10 breakfeasts. havent any of u trained your wives in the art of making u the perfect breakfast yet? Anyway the only time i enjoy bacon and eggs ect is when im really hungry in the morning. i think the bread is the biggest part of it. Has to be thick and really crunchy.

That bacon is overcooked.

The burgers look disgusting.

The egg reminds me of the washing cloth on my sink.

Where is the butter for the toast?

155Baht for that?

I wouldn't eat it even if it was free.

Maybe it depends on the nationality of the response. I am American, the toast could be a tiny bit more done, the eggs look fine, and no way is the bacon undercooked. I would go there. Well done. Looks great! You want more butter, ask for more. I always order it dry, without butter. You can have mine......

If you live here why go out for breakfast, what a nonsense.

Do it yourself or get wife girlfriend and for some boyfriend to do it.

Most of the stuff round town is crap or hit and miss or silly expensive. why bother.

You got all of the day to go. and you want to eat out in the morning !!!!!!

But totally understand breakfast at 14.00 out and about . good job, night before. thumbsup.gif

Edited by Rimmer
Please do not post in non standard fonts thank you

Most of the stuff round town is crap or hit and miss or silly expensive. why bother.

But can an totally understand breakfast at 14.00 out and about . good job night before. thumbsup.gif

Yes and no.

Nobody is going to do a spread like Pascals at home.

Then there are specialty items like home fries, biscuits, eggs benedict, etc., not normally done by most at home.

I agree if its just fried and eggs and toast, no point in going out for that.

An update on Irish Wolfhound , their excellent breakfast now costs 80 baht, incl coffee. Still best deal in this area.

I saw that their price had gone up but havent been recently due to my diet which forbids bread or beans.

Do they still do the 100B "full monty" or has the small one been modified?

Re An update on Irish Wolfhound

They still do the 100B "full monty" too.

2 sausages, 2eggs etc, also includes 2 tea's or coffee's.

Pratumnak Soi 4 here I come, I go out for breakfast because I want a good one and don't feel like cooking for myself. I could give a sh*t if it costs 80, 100,or 200 baht. If I a breakfast isn't tasty it's money down the drain no matter if the costs is 100 or 200 baht.

But can an totally understand breakfast at 14.00 out and about . good job night before. thumbsup.gif

Yes and no.

Nobody is going to do a spread like Pascals at home.

Then there are specialty items like home fries, biscuits, eggs benedict, etc., not normally done by most at home.

I agree if its just fried and eggs and toast, no point in going out for that.

Yes agree

Something a bit special.

once a month why not.

but for me sitting in some restaurant at 8- 11 in the morning every day.

not for me. wai2.gif

Pratumnak Soi 4 here I come, I go out for breakfast because I want a good one and don't feel like cooking for myself. I could give a sh*t if it costs 80, 100,or 200 baht. If I a breakfast isn't tasty it's money down the drain no matter if the costs is 100 or 200 baht.

I dont think you will be disappointed.

About the only thing that lets them down is the toast, which is a bog-standard white sliced loaf from Makro. Nothing wrong with it, but not very exciting.

Oh, and the tea is good (if you like British style tea) but the coffee is not anything that I would drink.

Some places are good. The fun is in finding them.

Girlfriend? Boyfriend? I live alone and I love it. But I dont love cleaning bacon fat off frying pans, and I dont love the odour of fried food in my condo.

And on an entirely personal note, I eat out at least once a day, sometimes twice. Given that I only eat twice a day in total it's not surprising that I eat breakfast (or brunch) out quite often.

YMMV

What I hate is when they do a nice big breakfast, but don't include something like baked beans or mushrooms and charge almost 50% of the BB cost for an extra to be included.

Baked beans and mushrooms with Brekkie is un-American.

If you dont tell McCarthy I wont either.

As a Scandinavian I am a bit picky perhaps when it comes to breakfasts, nothing wrong with American or British I guess. If I wasn't on a budget I would prefer to have all my breakfasts made at Back-Fabrik , Jomtien 2nd rd. It's that good really if you can pay 2-300 baht for the big ones,

But if I want to eat at one place several times and are tired of paying too much for an average breakfast , try Irish Wolfhound. For 80 baht you get fried eggs, baked beans, fried tomato, fried potato, 2 toasts, butter, jam and a big cup of coffee or tea. It's worth a walk up the hill from Jomtien.

Interesting, 90% of poster speculating, and have never eaten there.

We are there as often as we can, best breakfast in town. Of course, nothing for cheap charlies ....

There always be critics that know it all better and have better suggestions ...

Try it for yourself and make up your mind on your own experiences, not based on somebodies "opinions" .....

luudee

Some places are good. The fun is in finding them.

Girlfriend? Boyfriend? I live alone and I love it. But I dont love cleaning bacon fat off frying pans, and I dont love the odour of fried food in my condo.

And on an entirely personal note, I eat out at least once a day, sometimes twice. Given that I only eat twice a day in total it's not surprising that I eat breakfast (or brunch) out quite often.

YMMV

Exactly, it's fun to ride around and try new places out, I/we do that often and places comes and go all the time, it will never end.

We live in north Pattaya but often rides out to Jomtien for breakfast, not so much for the bekkie but more the morning ride where there is not too much traffic.

We sometimes haves breakfast at home, we got a Thai kitchen so it's outside the house so no food smells in the house.

Yep same for us, eats out at least once per day, sometimes 2, in Pattaya you have lots and lots of options for that, which is one of the best things about the place.

I dont think you will be disappointed.

About the only thing that lets them down is the toast, which is a bog-standard white sliced loaf from Makro. Nothing wrong with it, but not very exciting.

Oh, and the tea is good (if you like British style tea) but the coffee is not anything that I would drink.

I love good British tea. Please be specific with the directions as I started looking on Pratumnak approaching soi 4, drove down soi 4 as a short distance. What I did see was O'garas which I posted positively about on restaurant threads. They have a big breakfast and a small breakfast which are excellent. Don't go there frequently because of the location and am not fond of baked beans, stewed tomatoes, Canadian style ham, etc.

I had breakfast there and was very happy. Friendly staff, a/c that works and an excellent American breakfast for a price that was more than fair considering the quality and taste. Love the little beef paddies. Don't judge the food by my pic (or a book by it's cover). For those passing judgement and not having been there can go pound salt.

post-75929-0-71001900-1428126746_thumb.j

Yummy.

The homemade sausage patties are extra tasty.

Not disgusting cheap mystery meat from a Thai wholesaler.

Similar taste to the popular Jimmy Dean sausage I had back in the US. I like.

Last time I substituted the toast for a biscuit with gravy. Oh, that was nice.

Edited by jamesjohnsonthird

I noticed that place has Home Fries on their menu as an add on option.

Are they real freshly cooked Home Fries or just those frozen patties you can buy at the grocery store?

I find their pancake breakfast set kind of odd.

I think it's weird to serve eggs with pancakes.

Choice of sausage or eggs not weird.

It would be more appealing with bigger pancakes and drop the eggs.

The batter would have eggs in it anyway!

It's an American run business geared for American tastes, and pancakes, bacon (or ham) and eggs is as American as you can get. They also serve biscuits and gravy.D
Duh dude.

Yes I know.

I'm American.

I really don't think most Americans want eggs when they're having a pancake breakfast.

Some do yes but I think typically not.

Yes, like I said, a meat choice, often yes.

Those pancakes are small. If you want pancakes you want pancakes.

I am suggesting they offer a set option of larger pancakes, no eggs.

attachicon.gifpancakes-sausage.jpg

Of course even weirder would be serving eggs with French toast. But I see they aren't doing that ... good.

Next visit, I will suggest they offer pancakes ala carte in addition to their buttermilk pancake breakfast. This is a typical pancake breakfast from just about any American restaurant chain. Note the similarities, actually I would also prefer hashed browns like the Hungryman at Rich Man Poor Man.

Why oh why won't Thais cook eggs properly? I hate runny fried eggs. Even when I ask for them to be done properly they still bring them almost raw.

The only place were I have had true eggs over easy, flipped for a few seconds so not runny, is on Soi9, RichManPoorMan. Very good, well cooked, side bacon and fried potatoes.

155Baht for that?

Maybe it depends on the nationality of the response. I am American, the toast could be a tiny bit more done, the eggs look fine, and no way is the bacon undercooked. I would go there. Well done. Looks great! You want more butter, ask for more. I always order it dry, without butter. You can have mine......

Obviously food is cooked differently in different countries. I was at the Hotel Danmark today and the bacon looked near raw. I had the kind lady cook mine another 10 minutes but the rest of the packed restaurant seemed to prefer it that way. The Pastrami place is American owned and caters to home countrymen. As for the prices their currency is a hell of a lot stronger than the rest of ours. Wish we had some of that Obama economics.

Edited by pegman

I was at the Hotel Danmark today and the bacon looked near raw. I had the kind lady cook mine another 10 minutes but the rest of the packed restaurant seemed to prefer it that way.

I was there today too. Yes, the egg station lady will do your eggs and bacon however you like them, including flipping your egg if that's what you want. My bacon always comes fairly well done because she knows I like it that way.

155Baht for that?

Be careful Costas, a lot of posters are agreeing with you as well as me. Hope there's no way the restaurant in Jomtein can get your name and address.

I once had the misfortune to try the breakfast at Simple Simon's, in Jomtien, which they advertise as the "best" breakfast in the area. Unfortunately, even set against a pretty mediocre English-style breakfast, it fell woefully

short. Cheap ingredients, disgusting coffee, lackadaisical service; it just has nothing to recommend it; unless the standards of the clientele are equally low!

At the opposite end of the spectrum is The Continental, slightly outside of Jomtien close to the Airport Bus terminal. It is a great-value breakfast, offering slight variants of ingredients as a token towards different Nationalities (e.g. English, German, American). It is clean and decent, offers good coffee, and is operated efficiently and politely. Having eaten there a number of times, I would recommend it wholeheartedly.

U can get the smoked bacon they are using from the tesco express. Its buy one packet and get one free for 99 baht. enough for at least 10 breakfeasts. havent any of u trained your wives in the art of making u the perfect breakfast yet? Anyway the only time i enjoy bacon and eggs ect is when im really hungry in the morning. i think the bread is the biggest part of it. Has to be thick and really crunchy.

I could train my wife, but at noon, when she gets up, I no longer crave breakfast.

I once had the misfortune to try the breakfast at Simple Simon's, in Jomtien, which they advertise as the "best" breakfast in the area. Unfortunately, even set against a pretty mediocre English-style breakfast, it fell woefully

short. Cheap ingredients, disgusting coffee, lackadaisical service; it just has nothing to recommend it; unless the standards of the clientele are equally low!

At the opposite end of the spectrum is The Continental, slightly outside of Jomtien close to the Airport Bus terminal. It is a great-value breakfast, offering slight variants of ingredients as a token towards different Nationalities (e.g. English, German, American). It is clean and decent, offers good coffee, and is operated efficiently and politely. Having eaten there a number of times, I would recommend it wholeheartedly.

Happy you like it but The Continental is hardly "outside" Jomtien, even slightly.