Breakfast in Jomtien. 2015 Thread

jamesjohnsonthird

Glad to hear Rich Man Poor Man is still up there getting recommendations, it's been a long time favourite of mine anytime I have a trip down to patts/jomtiem,, anyone been to the pig and whistle lately? If still there

I was never impressed by the breakfast at the Pig and Whistle, stick with Rich Man Poor Man or try Back Fabrik.

As always, it is all a matter of personal taste. For an English breakfast I thought the Pig & Whistle set a decent benchmark. I rarely go there now as I don't particularly enjoy a pub environment for breakfast. The Coins (ex 18 Coins) satisfies my taste and is good value @ 140 Baht.

(edit: apologies straying off topic as far as Jomtien is concerned).

Edited by Jip99

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are talking about value for money, doesn't mean they are c***p ch**lies, and after your breakfast you should try going to anger management classes (by the way, i hate the saying 'cheap charlies', people who say that are sooo up themselves, very derogatory....my opinion anyway)

OK, whatever you say. The 'value for money' crowd is dining at the Lek. cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

To some people, quantity is quality.

Edited by jamesjohnsonthird

Glad to hear Rich Man Poor Man is still up there getting recommendations, it's been a long time favourite of mine anytime I have a trip down to patts/jomtiem,, anyone been to the pig and whistle lately? If still there

I was never impressed by the breakfast at the Pig and Whistle, stick with Rich Man Poor Man or try Back Fabrik.

As always, it is all a matter of personal taste. For an English breakfast I thought the Pig & Whistle set a decent benchmark. I rarely go there now as I don't particularly enjoy a pub environment for breakfast. The Coins (ex 18 Coins) satisfies my taste and is good value @ 140 Baht.

(edit: apologies straying off topic as far as Jomtien is concerned).

Just to be clear, my comments refer to the Pig and Whistle in Jomtien and not Pattaya. In Jomtien, I have had both dinner and breakfast there and I will not go back as there are to many good restaurants in this area.

You could get a far better and bigger buffet breakfast at the Lek Hotel for about the same price.

You have got to be having a laugh

The Lek hotel buffet spread is disgusting only fit as pig food

Used to be OK. Sorry to hear it's gone downhill.
It has never been ok

I first tryed the Lek buffet 11-12 years ago

It was pig food then

You're just a newbie then! I was eating their buffet breakfasts long before that.

You could get a far better and bigger buffet breakfast at the Lek Hotel for about the same price.

It has never been ok

It was pig food then

You're just a newbie then! I was eating their buffet breakfasts long before that.

I,m really impressed

You must be really old

It has never been ok

It was pig food then

I,m really impressed

You must be really old

I am. I can even remember Pattaya before Walking Street existed, Bkk before the skytrain, Chiang Mai when they sold genuine Vietnam war surplus stuff instead of the rubbish they sell now. Samui before the concrete invasion.

I,m really impressed

You must be really old

I remember having the Lek buffet breakfast with my father about 25+ years ago, when it first opened. There was just the one front building then, and all around there were hardly any buildings (in fact second road had no sidewalk at all).

Back then their breakfast was really quite good.

Is that the best breakfast from Jomtien ? now a am happy not too stay there any more, Is that bacon is overcooked.?

The burgers look disgusting.

The egg reminds me of the washing cloth on my sink.

Where is the butter for the toast?

155Baht for that?

How can a Restaurant post a photo like that.?

I wouldn't eat it even if it was free.

Is that the best breakfast from Jomtien ? now a am happy not too stay there any more, Is that bacon is overcooked.?

The burgers look disgusting.

The egg reminds me of the washing cloth on my sink.

Where is the butter for the toast?

155Baht for that?

How can a Restaurant post a photo like that.?

I wouldn't eat it even if it was free.

The picture was not posted by the restaurant, learn to read. Many people like crispy bacon. Of course they serve butter and jam but if you hadn't posted from your bar stool and talked to people who have actually eaten there you might have a more informed opinion. Your posted comments are a reflection on you and your inability to make a constructive critique.

The classic breakfast at Back Fabrik.

Nice picture , it should have been posted first in this thread. Other restaurants could learn a lot about how a real breakfast should look and taste like, the German baker knows his stuff.

Nice picture , it should have been posted first in this thread. Other restaurants could learn a lot about how a real breakfast should look and taste like, the German baker knows his stuff.

Interesting comment. The picture of the food at Back Fabrik made me not want to go there (not appealing at all). The picture of the food at Pastrami on Rye made want to go there (I tried it and it was good). But I am from the USA. I am guessing that had I been born in Germany I would be thinking like you.

Interesting comment. The picture of the food at Back Fabrik made me not want to go there (not appealing at all). The picture of the food at Pastrami on Rye made want to go there (I tried it and it was good). But I am from the USA. I am guessing that had I been born in Germany I would be thinking like you.

The American breakfast has brought out some America bashers, a few comments from a competing restaurant and of course the cheapskates that try to convince us that anything over 100 baht is a ripoff!!

I eat breakfast everyday and this place is very good.

By the way, I had the cheese steak omlett the other day at Pastrami On Rye and it was delicious.

Nice, thin sliced rib eye steak, grilled with onions, bell pepper and cheese.

Tasty indeed.

Edited by jamesjohnsonthird

This pic is only one of the many breakfast options there. They do serve an American style breakfast for 128 baht I recall. They also do pancakes /waffles. Many choices, highly recommended. A Brit might be disappointed because I don't remember baked beans but I could be wrong.

Their breakfast is ok, the hard over cooked bacon is a American favorite. There is a bakery close to this restaurant, not the corner one (can't remember the name) and they have a wide selection of breakfast items and their English breakfasts are excellent and at a good price.

Their breakfast is ok, the hard over cooked bacon is a American favorite. There is a bakery close to this restaurant, not the corner one (can't remember the name) and they have a wide selection of breakfast items and their English breakfasts are excellent and at a good price.

You are referring to the Continental restaurant and bakery a few doors down. They have been there for years and have earned a reputation for serving a good breakfast and they open very early. I like my bacon not crisp and I am always sure to ask for it that way.

I fear I will leave this earth never understanding an American adult's perversion with pancakes for breakfast, especially when there is a side, in particular a meat side.

I must try it! Take me to Jontiem at once! (yes, I know i spelled it incorrectly...I can't help it).

I fear I will leave this earth never understanding an American adult's perversion with pancakes for breakfast, especially when there is a side, in particular a meat side.

I must try it! Take me to Jontiem at once! (yes, I know i spelled it incorrectly...I can't help it).

Strange. Who wants to get the syrup on the eggs and bacon?

Never understood that combo.

Eat the eggs and bacon first I suppose. Pancakes for desert?

I seriously doubt many Americans, adults or kids, eat breakfast pancakes (or waffles) all that often. It's like a treat thing. As far as getting some syrup on the meat, I think most Americans don't care. We like to mix things up.

Go to an Indian food buffet with lots of Indians and lots of non-Indian Americans and observe the difference. The Indians will generally be SEPARATING their foods. The Americans will generally be mixing up lots of flavors on the plate.

Typical American daily breakfast as home is more likely cereal based. Not sexy enough for a restaurant.

Edited by Jingthing

Strange. Who wants to get the syrup on the eggs and bacon?

Never understood that combo.

Eat the eggs and bacon first I suppose. Pancakes for desert?

I do.

Loved the American pancake breakfast the hospital rec centre served in Saudi. Loads of syrup on everything. Never been able to find as good since.

I seriously doubt many Americans, adults or kids, eat breakfast pancakes (or waffles) all that often. It's like a treat thing. As far as getting some syrup on the meat, I think most Americans don't care. We like to mix things up.

Go to an Indian food buffet with lots of Indians and lots of non-Indian Americans and observe the difference. The Indians will generally be SEPARATING their foods. The Americans will generally be mixing up lots of flavors on the plate.

Typical American daily breakfast as home is more likely cereal based. Not sexy enough for a restaurant.

I seriously doubt many Americans, adults or kids, eat breakfast pancakes (or waffles) all that often

Dagwood does biggrin.png .

Looks like they took some time to consider what a good layout should be. However, IMO, a "classic" breakfast should include baked beans and mushrooms. To me that's more like an American breakfast.

"Classic" I suppose is defined by where you come from. The owner is German so the emphasis is on cheeses, cold cuts, and breads, his version of "classic". As an American the first time I saw baked beans was on a breakfast plate here in Thailand. My British friend ordered bake beans on toast which led to a lively breakfast conversation. Back Fabrik has a large variety of breakfasts for all tastes.

Looks like they took some time to consider what a good layout should be. However, IMO, a "classic" breakfast should include baked beans and mushrooms. To me that's more like an American breakfast.

"Classic" I suppose is defined by where you come from. The owner is German so the emphasis is on cheeses, cold cuts, and breads, his version of "classic". As an American the first time I saw baked beans was on a breakfast plate here in Thailand. My British friend ordered bake beans on toast which led to a lively breakfast conversation. Back Fabrik has a large variety of breakfasts for all tastes.

Fair enough, but as he's selling food in Thailand, not Germany, perhaps he should be using terms familiar to people in Thailand. Anyway, no big deal for me, as the only "big" breakfasts I have now are those made by myself- Baked beans on toast, mushrooms, fried tomatoes, 2 hard fried eggs, 2 sausages ( sometimes bacon )- yum.

I love good British tea. Please be specific with the directions as I started looking on Pratumnak approaching soi 4, drove down soi 4 as a short distance. What I did see was O'garas which I posted positively about on restaurant threads. They have a big breakfast and a small breakfast which are excellent. Don't go there frequently because of the location and am not fond of baked beans, stewed tomatoes, Canadian style ham, etc.

It's about 50 yards down Soi 4, last building on the left before the first corner.

This is the building: https://goo.gl/maps/uknyb but it looks a bit different now.

Warning: Irish Wolfhound breakfast contains baked beans and a grilled tomato. I'm told that you can barter something you dont like for more of something you do like, but I've never tried it.

Found it. This breakfast is identical to O'garas which is on Pratumnak (near Soi 5). This breakfast is very good and an exceptional value. I had the full Monty, 100 baht. Overall two thumbs up, but not perfect, lukewarm tea, have had much better scrambled eggs, open air, no air conditioning, pesky flies. If I lived in the area this would be a regular watering hole but if I was going to Pratumnak area my preference would be O'garas for the ambience, indoors, and fully air conditioned.