Breakfast in Jomtien. 2015 Thread

jamesjohnsonthird

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You were unlucky with the tea as mine has always been hot there (and fairly strong).

It is a big mug (see pic) with tea bag so you decide the strength. The portions are large. If it was air conditioned I would eat there more often. Try O'garas if you like a full English breakfast just a little bit more but worth the price.

post-9935-0-50136300-1429622084_thumb.jp

Does anybody miss a biscuit, eggs, sausage and cheese sandwich? Pastrami on Rye is making this in the morning (along with a lot of other American breakfast items):

post-110622-0-98091200-1429711676_thumb.

Good stuff! The biscuit is really nice. They also make southern-style biscuits and gravy, which I understand is a delicacy in France :)

Another place for good biscuits and gravy is The Moonshine Bar and Restaurant, soi 4, Jomtien.

Honestly, people comparing The Irish Wolfhound with Tara Court (O'Gara's) is beyond me.

Service in the Wolfhound is very, very hit and miss. OK it's cheap (which is why I still sometimes go).

Tara Court is a pleasurable experience with great service, air conditioned while you read the newspapers.

My view on it anyway.

That looks like a scone, not a biscuit. I dont suppose the name changes the taste though.

Not a scone. Does not taste like a scone.

What does it taste like then?

I suppose you know that scones can be both sweet or savoury, and that a biscuit by definition is an item that has been baked and slow-cooled (originally oven-dried, hence bis-cuit or twice-cooked) to make it crunchy, and which isn't risen? Scones are only cooked once, aren't crunchy and rise during baking (normally due to the addition of a raising agent).

Americans would call a proper biscuit a cookie and Wikipedia seems to agree with me that what is being called a biscuit here is in fact a scone. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biscuit

Scone on the left: biscuit on the right (or, in American, biscuit on the left and cookie on the right).

250px-BiscuitsAmerican%26British.png

I can completely understand the culinary potential for a savoury scone with egg and cheese, and cheese scones in the UK are very common. A cookie (biscuit) similarly treated sounds pretty disgusting.

Edited by KittenKong

Honestly, people comparing The Irish Wolfhound with Tara Court (O'Gara's) is beyond me.

Service in the Wolfhound is very, very hit and miss. OK it's cheap (which is why I still sometimes go).

Tara Court is a pleasurable experience with great service, air conditioned while you read the newspapers.

My view on it anyway.

My service was just fine at both restaurants. The the full Monty and the small breakfast at O'Garas are comparable. You might also get juice at O'Garas (I forgot) but the quality and taste are very similar. They are both very good.

Interesting, but that webpage is wrong about scones being "almost always sweet". In a UK supermarket these days the savoury scones (usually cheese) will represent maybe 30% of those on offer.

Also as far as I know cream is not an ingredient commonly used when making UK scones (though you may use it afterwards for garnish, along with jam etc). And of course you would only put sugar into a sweet scone mix. The mix used for UK scones would be milk and butter, which of course is very close to US buttermilk.

So I would say that a US biscuit and a UK savoury scone probably are nearer to siblings than cousins.

If ever my diet permits I will go to Pastrami on Rye and test my theory.

I've only had scones in the U.S. and they are always sweet and would be horrible with a gravy on them. Also I don't think buttermilk is remotely the same thing as butter plus milk. Anyway, whatever, they are what they are, American biscuits in Jomtien, come and get 'em!

I've only had scones in the U.S. and they are always sweet and would be horrible with a gravy on them. Also I don't think buttermilk is remotely the same thing as butter plus milk. Anyway, whatever, they are what they are, American biscuits in Jomtien, come and get 'em!

Correct Butter milk is what left over from making butter.

Simple to make yourself.

Take heavy/double cream put in a sealed container and shake like buggery it will turn into buttermilk and butter use the buttermilk as required "last for some time in the fridge" but you must add salt to the butter residue or it will turn "go off" rapid it you don't.

English scones are sweet nothing like the American biscuit ones, as you said wouldn't go with gravy. Not that us English would put gravy on any form of biscuit Yorkshire pudding well that's a different matter.

Blue Moose on the dark side. American owned and serving American Food. Good SOS and other breakfast items. Closest to what I got back in the USA. Top of Soi Khao Noi . Moo 9.

Title of this thread is Breakfast in Jomtien.

I once had the misfortune to try the breakfast at Simple Simon's, in Jomtien, which they advertise as the "best" breakfast in the area. Unfortunately, even set against a pretty mediocre English-style breakfast, it fell woefully

short. Cheap ingredients, disgusting coffee, lackadaisical service; it just has nothing to recommend it; unless the standards of the clientele are equally low!

At the opposite end of the spectrum is The Continental, slightly outside of Jomtien close to the Airport Bus terminal. It is a great-value breakfast, offering slight variants of ingredients as a token towards different Nationalities (e.g. English, German, American). It is clean and decent, offers good coffee, and is operated efficiently and politely. Having eaten there a number of times, I would recommend it wholeheartedly.

Despite the bold type I like your post. I don't know anything about Simple Simons as their breakfast menu is not my favorite. The Continental has been there for years, opens early, has a loyal customer base and serves a good breakfast at a very reasonable price. Fully air conditioned, good service, friendly staff, what's not to like?

The owner of Simple Simon, has been there for 11 yeras and has a good brit clientelle, and the brekkie has always been good, with great staff

I noticed that place has Home Fries on their menu as an add on option.

Are they real freshly cooked Home Fries or just those frozen patties you can buy at the grocery store?

I find their pancake breakfast set kind of odd.

I think it's weird to serve eggs with pancakes.

Choice of sausage or eggs not weird.

It would be more appealing with bigger pancakes and drop the eggs.

The batter would have eggs in it anyway!

Really? I always have had eggs with pancakes and sausage for breakfast when i go out especially when eating at a Denny's or IHOP. Every greek diner I have ever been to in NYC has both pancakes and/or french toast with eggs and bacon/sausage as an option.

Another thing I find surprising is that The Golf Club on Soi Buokaw just down from Irovers is not mentioned, They have the most extensive breakfast menu I have seen in Pattaya. The prices are pretty good and the food is enjoyable. They do serve SOS but they use frozen hash brown patties so I would take away a point from them for that. Overall though they do a very good breakfast and I find it to be reasonably priced.

Edited by Chwooly

The small breakfast at O'Garas, 140 baht, air conditioned, comfortable seating, local and UK newspaper.

Looks nice, but served on a cold plate a bet you, had it there once and asked the waiter to make sure plate is hot, and he replied how will i carry it if hot, or words to that affect, truly

Another thing I find surprising is that The Golf Club on Soi Buokaw just down from Irovers is not mentioned, They have the most extensive breakfast menu I have seen in Pattaya. The prices are pretty good and the food is enjoyable. They do serve SOS but they use frozen hash brown patties so I would take away a point from them for that. Overall though they do a very good breakfast and I find it to be reasonably priced.

Hmmm, See what happens when you don't read titles, For some reason I thought someone had mentioned I-Rovers but am too lazy to read thru all the posts again to find it.

• 1 month later...

I can report that the small breakfast at Irish wolfhound is still only 80 baht and for that price you'll get 1 sausage, 1 fried egg, bacon, beans, 1 fried tomato,1 fried potato, 2 toast, butter and marmelade. And a big cup of coffee or tea. Unbeatable value and it tastes good too.

I can report that the small breakfast at Irish wolfhound is still only 80 baht and for that price you'll get 1 sausage, 1 fried egg, bacon, beans, 1 fried tomato,1 fried potato, 2 toast, butter and marmelade. And a big cup of coffee or tea. Unbeatable value and it tastes good too.

I agree and for only 20 baht more you get larger portions. Unfortunately, no ac, in this heat no business will get my business unless it has good ac.

I agree and for only 20 baht more you get larger portions. Unfortunately, no ac, in this heat no business will get my business unless it has good ac.

It wasn't too bad today with the fans running , but I only stay for a short time.