Cement Dry Wall Board, Does It Contain Asbestos?

Khun Ngo

Does it?

Second question: What is the best way to cut it along a straight line? The European Gypsum boards can be

scribed and then simply pushed/or hammered out and it will brake off along the line. Will this work with thoose

boards here?

I also assume the OP is talking about a supalux type fire resistant board...as viva?

Asbestos.....well yes very probably.

Check the place of manufacture of the board or pkasterboard.

Thailand still imports a lot of asbestos or chrysotile from Russia and Brazil and has been one of those contraversial subjects that the Govt simply ignores.

The risk however is negligable if you take proper precautions whenp cutting.

Masks and cutting outdoors is imperative. A fan or grinder vacuum is also a good idea.

But dont let it spoil your life; death from asbestosis after a 40yr career in direct contact with it hits you at 80yr old.

Appreciate thats a flippant remark but you have more chance of dying when you cut your finger with the grinder and scepticemia finishes you off in weeks.

I remember you can get dry wall boards that are free of asbestos.

(just can remember the source)

Generally there is still no garantuee that all products are free of asbestos.

"Thailand Asbestos ban delayed; Cabinet say 'not enough evidence"

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/789301-thailand-asbestos-ban-delayed;-cabinet-say-not-enough-evidence/#entry8896134

Edited by KhunBENQ

Seems like you are mixing apples and oranges.

Cement board is made with cement and fibers, asbestos is one. It is heavier than plaster board and must be cut with carbide tipped tools and saw blades. It is brittle and will break easy.

Drywall (also known as plasterboard, wall board, sheet rock, or gypsum board) is a panel made of gypsum plaster pressed between two thick sheets of paper. It is used to make interior walls and ceilings. It can be cut by scoring one side with a "box cutter", breaking it and then cutting the paper on the other side

• 2 weeks later...

Two people seem to think they contain asbestos.

I'm surprised and look forward to an answer.

BTW I'm aware that asbestos is not quite the bogie it has been made in the west.

People who got asbestosis were working in clouds of the stuff.