Marriage Recognition

Buckwheat

I had to get a letter certifiying i was not married in the U.K. along with confirmation of my U.K. divorce and asked about this while i was there.

The B.Embassy told me i didn,t have to register it in the U.K. and so long as i got married at a legal registra ( local gov.amphur ) and had my m.certificate and the paper with the details on it, no problem. ( Bearing the offical stamp of course. )

I also got it translated and certified at the M.of F.Affairs as back up. ( 2 copies )

One for the wife to have and one for myself which i keep in the U.K.

marshbags :o:D:D

P.S.

The interviewing officer said i could register it back home, but if i had the above, it wasn,t needed.

I have a friend who would like to know if he gets married in Thailand, will the British government recognize his marriage?

He's been told "yes" and he's been told "no"...so how about one of you guys who have "been there and done that" giving us some enlightenment.

Thanks

From the British Embassy web site in Bangkok:

* The British Embassy in Bangkok is not authorised to perform marriages.

* Marriage in Thailand should be performed according to Thai law and any detailed questions on the procedure should be addressed to the appropriate Thai authorities.

* A religious ceremony on its own is not sufficient.

* The documentation to be produced is at the discretion of each individual Registrar. Most Registrars will be satisfied with an affirmation of freedom to marry.

* The marriage will only be recognised under UK law if it is valid under Thai law. For it to be valid in Thai law, the marriage must be registered with the Registrar at an Amphur Office (District Office). A list of some Amphur offices in Bangkok and upcountry is attached.

* The Thai marriage certificate will be in Thai only. You may wish to commission a “sworn translation” of the marriage certificate from a translation bureau, so that you may use the document for legal purposes in the UK.

* Consular Section can arrange for your marriage to be recorded in the UK; please ask us for further details if you wish us to do so. This is not a legal obligation, it is for statistical purposes and if you lose a copy of your certificate only.

* Please note that a foreign national does not automatically acquire British nationality through marriage to a British national.

* If you are marrying a Thai national, he or she will require a visa to visit or settle in the UK.

* Applications for a visa to settle in the United Kingdom should be submitted at least three months in advance of the proposed date of travel. Please ask the Visa Section for further information.

http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/servlet/F...d=1068717516870

Geoffphuket

When we got married we were offered the option by the British Embassy in Bangkok of Offically recording our Marriage in the UK , by sending a copy of the wedding certificate , and English Translation , and of course a fee , the documents were sent to ....

The General Register Office in the UK , we then received back a confirmation registration number

that out marriage was now recorded and listed

The Main web site for The General Register Office in the UK is found at ..........

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

WW

When we got married we were offered the option by the British Embassy in Bangkok of Offically recording our Marriage in the UK , by sending a copy of the wedding certificate , and English Translation , and of course a fee , the documents were sent to ....

The General Register Office in the UK , we then received back a confirmation registration number

that out marriage was now recorded and listed

The Main web site for The General Register Office in the UK is found at ..........

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

WW

For which there is no need, it is for statistical purposes only..... the important phrase here is 'by procedure' .... any marriage that is conducted in any country in the world that is 'by procedure' will be recognised as a valid marriage in the UK and probably the rest of the world..... i.e. you go to the registry office in the country of your choice with your bride to be, you sign a few forms, and you are legally married.

Stand in the back garden and wave a few drops of water off some banana leaves at each other does not work anywhere..... because it isn't 'by procedure'

This, of course does not apply in the USA, were the rules change from state to state (especially if you are a same sex couple)..... but that only applies in the USA, from state to state.... if you marry in Thailand, at an Amphur, you are married...... full stop.

Divorce is 'by procedure' also.... so the same applies :o

Edited for bad spolling :D

Edited by Thaddeus

One of the international laws has to do with countries recognizing the marriages of other countries. It's pretty universal--if one country says your married, then others must accept that. The implication for Gay marriages, however, may change some of that.

One of the international laws has to do with countries recognizing the marriages of other countries. It's pretty universal--if one country says your married, then others must accept that. The implication for Gay marriages, however, may change some of that.

In fact there is no International Law regarding marriage recognition! The nearest thing is that signatories to the Hague Convention on the Celebration and Recognition of Marriages (1978) recognise by agreement International Marriages. A notable Country who would not sign was USA. The Country is still able to demand extra documentation or registration to fall in line with State jurisdiction.

Similarly for divorce.

I got married back in the days when you could claim a tax allowance for your wife.

The Inland Revenue accepted a translation of our Thai marriage certificate. :D

I was a Tax Inspector in UK many, many moons ago when foreigners could claim allowances for their wife and 18 children living in Bangladesh. Used to get right up my nose :o