Welcome new members

Welcome new members

to the 'Photography and Arts Forum'

We are a varied bunch of photographers on this forum,ranging from rank amateurs to seasoned pro's.If you are an amateur seeking to advance your

photography skills, then there will always be folk here to give you advice.If you are a more experienced photographer, then we would appreciate it if

you could share your knowledge by giving advice if asked.

The main focus points are.... share your images of Thailand,help each other and to enjoy the wonderful world of photography together !!!

Why not drop a quick message to introduce yourself to the other members? I am sure you will get a warm welcome.

Any questions? feel free to ask.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just been able to post my first photos to this forum thanks to Shaggys advice!.... I take photos of anything to be honest, food, people, birds, plants.... anything that catches my eye or reminds me of my childhood in Africa.

Equipment is very basic, either iPad or Nikon Coolpix L120... one day I will get better kit.

Amazed by the skills of some people on here.

And a Big Thank You wai.gif also to shaggy1969 for pinning this thread.

I believe this pinned topic is not only for "Newbies", but also for our older ThaiVisaDotCom members, not in age, but as being a member of ThaiVisaDotCom. thumbsup.gif

Welcome one and all. Likes shall be provided.whistling.gif

Win w00t.gif

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After geting bored with the "upper part" of TVF, I scrolled down and found "Photography and the Arts". Nice here!

Need some time to acclimate and not critizise too much...

Nice to see we at least made the list , I mean being down the " Bottom " as apposed to being up in the " Mainstream " and all .

I wonder where I would end up if I were to scroll down from where I am ?

Oops , I remember now , I began in the " General " component , and then scrolled up ! Silly me .

Welcome Chon B

I hope you wont get too bored here .

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Moved to Chiang Mai recently and have taken up photography as a hobby. Always looking for new locations to practice, and would love to hear from anyone in the area who would be interested in sharing tips and locations.

Shooting with Nikon D750 and a variety of primes and zooms. Post processing with Lightroom 6.

Hope to learn and share with members of the forum.

Best regards,

Peter

Hi all,

Moved to Chiang Mai recently and have taken up photography as a hobby. Always looking for new locations to practice, and would love to hear from anyone in the area who would be interested in sharing tips and locations.

Shooting with Nikon D750 and a variety of primes and zooms. Post processing with Lightroom 6.

Hope to learn and share with members of the forum.

Best regards,

Peter

It might be a good idea to check out the photography sub forum.

Hi all,

Welcome to the Photo forum Peter. Very nice camera the D750 and really looking for some photos from it. I had been reading reviews on it and had a chance to hold one with the 24-120mm f/4 kit lens on it. I found the weight to be a bit too much for me though.

Thanks for the warm welcome! Yes, theD750 is a bit heavy, especially with a big lens, but a Caryspeed sling helps take the strain. Alternatively, primes are the way to go - 50g, 85g are great options, as is the 18-35 if weight is an issue. Best regards, Pete

• 5 weeks later...

Hi my name John and I have just joined Thaivisa. I took up photography about a year and a half ago and I look forward to picking up some tips here. I have had a look through some of the photographs on the site and they are stunning so it will give me great pleasure if I can get anywhere near them. Thanks all in advance for any tips I might pick up and for the great images here. I will put a few up on sunsets just to start off

john

Nice here, but I feel a kind of helpless after reading your post for new members. There is a description for how to attaching a picture, but.......I have been looking for a button/link to open a message-form without success. Sure, I have found this answering-form here, but cannot edit the topic, so there must be something else. Please help.

Cheers and thanks

MikeOffenbach

Hi my name John and I have just joined Thaivisa. I took up photography about a year and a half ago and I look forward to picking up some tips here. I have had a look through some of the photographs on the site and they are stunning so it will give me great pleasure if I can get anywhere near them. Thanks all in advance for any tips I might pick up and for the great images here. I will put a few up on sunsets just to start off

john

Welcome to the forum John, looking forward to seeing your sunsets.

Hello all,

after my first rather helpless post I received some kind assistance from Linda of Thaivisa Support Team, so I try again......and introduce myself herewith.

My name is Michael Grosskopf. I am retired, Dutch origin, was working worldwide for a german compamy. Now I live mainly in Bangkok but I still spend part time with consulting business relations in other Asian countries

During nearly 50 years I have been using a couple of fully non automatic East-German 35 mm Exaktas (see attached pic) with Zeiss lenses and accessories. I still have all that stuff but switched to a digital Nikon D3100 in 2013. Today I replaced my beautiful but too heavy and awkward vintage T4-Vivitar Zoom 90-230 (was already in use on my Exaktas) with a Nikkor 55-300.

Favourite subjects? Hard to determine. I am using my camera for many opportunities, making images of family, job, music (I have been playing jazz), macro, landscapes. Now, with my D3100 even movies are possible and the software "blender" enables mixing with any other format, even from Smartphones.

cheers

Mike

post-203816-0-69025400-1438262733_thumb.

Hello all,

after my first rather helpless post I received some kind assistance from Linda of Thaivisa Support Team, so I try again......and introduce myself herewith.

My name is Michael Grosskopf. I am retired, Dutch origin, was working worldwide for a german compamy. Now I live mainly in Bangkok but I still spend part time with consulting business relations in other Asian countries

During nearly 50 years I have been using a couple of fully non automatic East-German 35 mm Exaktas (see attached pic) with Zeiss lenses and accessories. I still have all that stuff but switched to a digital Nikon D3100 in 2013. Today I replaced my beautiful but too heavy and awkward vintage T4-Vivitar Zoom 90-230 (was already in use on my Exaktas) with a Nikkor 55-300.

Favourite subjects? Hard to determine. I am using my camera for many opportunities, making images of family, job, music (I have been playing jazz), macro, landscapes. Now, with my D3100 even movies are possible and the software "blender" enables mixing with any other format, even from Smartphones.

cheers

Mike

Hi Mike and welcome to the photo (and arts) forum! It's always a real pleasure to see new faces and especially new submissions from said faces. Hope you put that 3100 to good use and start sharing some of your photos with us. We're all amateurs so there should not be any worry about sharing your images.

Regards,

Stix

• 2 months later...

Hi.... my dad was on here before but now he is not. We both use the same computer and have a 1 TB HDD each and we share cameras and gear. (I think he uses my account sometimes to look at stuff on TV but I don't mind.) He teaches me all about computer and photography.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello Everyone,

Photography is my hobby that keeps me busy in my retirement years...In other words, keeps me out of the bars :)

I retired to Thailand 13 years ago and I love living here.

I see life in Thailand as a land that is full of Colors, Emotions and Love. I try to express these Three visions in every photo I take.

I cannot say I have one specialty in Photography, I can say that I really don't want to limit myself to one type of Photography. Because of this you might find areas of Photography that I am strong in and other areas that I am weak in. Doesn't really matter to me... If I like it I am going to take it. Praise me or blaze me and as they say in Thailand "Up To You"

Thank you Shaggy1969 for inviting me to join this forum. I hope I can figure out how to post photos so I can get started sharing my work with everyone.

A quick question:

1. Can I refer the address of the photos location in Flickr so it can be viewed there? or is there a better way to share my photos?

Paul (or my flickr name is Thai Expat) wai2.gif

Hello Everyone,

Photography is my hobby that keeps me busy in my retirement years...In other words, keeps me out of the bars smile.png

I retired to Thailand 13 years ago and I love living here.

I see life in Thailand as a land that is full of Colors, Emotions and Love. I try to express these Three visions in every photo I take.

I cannot say I have one specialty in Photography, I can say that I really don't want to limit myself to one type of Photography. Because of this you might find areas of Photography that I am strong in and other areas that I am weak in. Doesn't really matter to me... If I like it I am going to take it. Praise me or blaze me and as they say in Thailand "Up To You"

Thank you Shaggy1969 for inviting me to join this forum. I hope I can figure out how to post photos so I can get started sharing my work with everyone.

A quick question:

1. Can I refer the address of the photos location in Flickr so it can be viewed there? or is there a better way to share my photos?

Paul (or my flickr name is Thai Expat) wai2.gif

OK..I think I have it figured out how to post a photo. Here's one to start with:

post-95132-0-92818800-1449905095_thumb.j

Hi there Paul and welcome to the photo forum.

I am so happy that you accepted my invitation to come and join us here !!! biggrin.png

In answer to your question about posting,the normal practice is to show your work on the forum itself and I would appreciate it if you could try to keep the maximum

size no bigger than 1024.You may also add a link to the larger version of your image.If you have any difficulties with uploading your images,don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers

Shaggy

OK..I think I have it figured out how to post a photo. Here's one to start with:

That's an excellent start and a great shot.

If you would like to upload a larger size file straight from your Flickr page,this is the way that I do it.

Click on the image that you want share from your main photostream.That takes you onto a single view of your chosen image.

Next,look at the bottom right of the image,you should see four symbols.Click on the one that looks like and underlined downward

facing arrow,that will open a small drop down menu.In the drop down menu click on all files.Clicking on the all files option will take

you onto downloading option.The first image usually shown there is a file size of 1024,which is an ideal size for posting.Right click

on the image and choose 'copy image',from there you can paste the image directly into the post you want to make in your topic of

choice.

That's the way I do it,maybe some of the other members have a different or easier method,but it works for me.

That's an excellent start and a great shot.

If you would like to upload a larger size file straight from your Flickr page,this is the way that I do it.

Click on the image that you want share from your main photostream.That takes you onto a single view of your chosen image.

Next,look at the bottom right of the image,you should see three symbols.Click on the one that looks like and underlined downward

facing arrow,that will open a small drop down menu.In the drop down menu click on all files.Clicking on the all files option will take

you onto downloading option.The first image usually shown there is a file size of 1024,which is an ideal size for posting.Right click

on the image and choose 'copy image',from there you can paste the image directly into the post you want to make in your topic of

choice.

That's the way I do it,maybe some of the other members have a different or easier method,but it works for me.

Thanks for the advice Shaggy. That is exactly what I did with the night shot of BKK. It worked fine and really easy to do.

Archived