SURVEY: What can be done to improve Songkran?

Scott

What can be done to improve Songkran?  

235 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Speaking personally, I am not a big fan of Songkhran. Indeed after the one and only time which I participated, I vowed "never again'. That said, it's not my call - it's a Thai and not a falang festival, so it's up to the Thais to make any changes they believe necessary. My TGF she loves it and spends 3 days back in her village, while I lock the door and stay at home.

Sonkran means a week inside until it is all over. thumbsup.gif

Do I enjoy getting soaking wet when I go to the shops? Nope.

Do I enjoy getting soaking wet when when I go out to dinner? Nope

Do I enjoy getting knocked off my motorbike? Nope.

I stay home and leave it to the idiots.

Staying inside does not work for me as we have 4 sets of huge speaker pyramids within a half kilometer radius. Even that would be OK if they played some real Thai music but its all that mindless endless bang bang booming bass that whips the masses into a frenzy. I ticked off the box that they do it in a controlled manner in a controlled area. Its OK to blah blah blah its Thai culture but we are becoming a global village. As one poster states they have been doing this for years pouring water and that could be but all that mindless music does nothing but cause the people close up to have hearing problems in the years ahead. It has developed into an orgy of madness. Ask me the ears were not designed for this type of punishment. There are numerous studies out verifying this. It seems we are headed for a future culture of the return of the gladiators. A Arnold Swartzenagger movie comes to mind. I concur with Lite Beer's statement above especially the last statement. We should not be held hostage for 3 days of madness.

• Like 1

Songkran is over HOORAYclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif . It's safe to go out again.

Except in Pattaya, you poor guys.

Better start now storing water for next year's boondaggle there may be no natural water left next year at this time. Yes it was nice to come out of my man cave today and hear the birds sing again. I was beginning to think they had packed up and left because of Songkran. During my 3 days of mental madness hunkered down inside I would dream of making a giant snow making machine to unleash next year at this time. Maybe an ice sculpture festival would be a good replacement.