Graft probe transfers rock local Thai agency heads

webfact

Graft probe transfers rock local agency heads
The Nation

100 officials facing corruption hearings may also lose jobs

BANGKOK: -- The local administrative executive circle has been rocked by the latest move to transfer alleged corrupt officials out of their jurisdiction while they are being probed.

Panthep Klanarongran, chairman of the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) said he supported the proposal by Justice Minister Paiboon Koomchaya, as chairman of the National Anti-Corruption Administrative Centre, to submit a list of more than 100 officials to Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha for transfer consideration.

The officials in question are being prosecuted for alleged criminal or disciplinary offences.

Sansern Polajiak, secretary-general of the NACC and also a member of the centre, said the move was aimed at producing concrete achievements on cracking down on corruption.

Sansern said the move was necessary because taking legal action against corrupt officials was a lengthy process.

He said the government wanted the work to be done more swiftly so the officials could be transferred.

"Most officials on the list are local officials who have been found by fact-finding committees to have committed wrongdoings,'' he said.

The list has been prepared by the NACC, the Office of Auditor General of Thailand and the Office of Public Sector Anti-Corruption Commission. It includes officials of all ranks.

The NACC presented less than 10 names, including presidents and chief administrators of sub-district administrative organisations and provincial administrative organisations.

Sansern said that Paiboon would call a meeting once a month or call an urgent meeting when any incident came up to decide who should be transferred. "This will make officials fear committing offences. Otherwise they can continue working as usual even though they face probes,'' he said.

The NACC panel is considering if it should forward names of officials linked to illegal land title deeds and forest encroachment to the NACC.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Graft-probe-transfers-rock-local-agency-heads-30257487.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-04-06

Just a clarifying point.

Panthep agreed to submit a list of more than 100 officials to Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha for transfer consideration. Thus far, the NACC has submitted a list of 10 officials. Will he then witch-hunt the remainding 90?

Just a clarifying point.

Panthep agreed to submit a list of more than 100 officials to Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha for transfer consideration. Thus far, the NACC has submitted a list of 10 officials. Will he then witch-hunt the remainding 90?

No doubt there are some names on the list that just could not possibly be corrupt.....!!

Transferred / in-active posts ... yes that'll scare the living daylights out of them and no doubt they'll be reformed.

I often wonder if this country has lost the plot and yet someone recently stated that you can't lose something that you didn't have or wasn't aware of before.

The lights are on ... but there's nobody home.

• Like 1

Just a clarifying point.

No idea.. but it looks like the army means business.. first at bonanza. now here.. totally different from the former government that did nothing with corruption.. maybe only made it worse.

You can say a lot but at least things are done now.. I am a bit disappointed though.. but 10 is better as 0. I hope they go on with this cleanup. But soon the red will come out and say its all political.

At your service Sir!!

It is all political........................smile.png

• Like 1

Just a clarifying point.

No idea.. but it looks like the army means business.. first at bonanza. now here.. totally different from the former government that did nothing with corruption.. maybe only made it worse.

You can say a lot but at least things are done now.. I am a bit disappointed though.. but 10 is better as 0. I hope they go on with this cleanup. But soon the red will come out and say its all political.

The point is bonanza is thought to have encroached on 103 rai of land.

Yet the cp group has over 50,000 rai that is not being investigated.

And the whisky group with many thousands of rai.

Let's get fair and honest shall we. And then there are the untouchable untouchables.

Just a clarifying point.

Let's get fair and honest shall we. And then there are the untouchable untouchables.

Id love to see some articles and proof.. bonanza is now documented. When it is true what you say I will of course condemn that too because it should be prosecuted too. However as long as there is a crime its not political. because it could have been avoided if they did not break the law. I also think it should be prosecuted because ANY corruption should be prosecuted and claiming it to be political and not doing a thing is crazy.

• Like 2

I wonder if Justice Minister Paiboon has his special adviser on the list, the one that is out on bail for murdering his wife.....

Crazy laws here.. murderers should never be out on bail.. or even granted an advisory function. Though if he is innocent (don't know the case) there is no problem.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Just a clarifying point.

You mean tit for tat. Is that really the way the law should work. NO.

The bonanza etc complex got investigated because many locals complained, specifically about land encroachment.

If there is any complaint or any evidence, or a specific reason to investigate the ownership documents of land claimed to be owned by CP or any other folks then it should be investigated.

But not for some tit for tat game.

• Like 1

Time to also crackdown on the other side of the coin: the offerer of a bride or favour.

While I understand where you're coming from ...

The fact remains that it's sometimes necessary to make some sort of payment, in order to have one's house-plans accepted & authorised, by the local government-offices.

Or to have one's land re-measured by the Land-Office, for a new chanot-paper to be issued.

Or to have TOT lay a land-line, to your house, in a country-district.

Or to persuade the PEA to put up a few posts along a soi, to enable several new subscribers to be connected.

And that the Immigration sometimes forget to return one's change, when paying for visa-extension.

Or that the traffic-police may offer a lower fine, for discrete cash-payment on-the-spot, to save a time-wasting visit to the local police-station.

Where do you want to draw the line ? wai2.gif

Time to also crackdown on the other side of the coin: the offerer of a bride or favour.

While I understand where you're coming from ...

The fact remains that it's sometimes necessary to make some sort of payment, in order to have one's house-plans accepted & authorised, by the local government-offices.

Or to have one's land re-measured by the Land-Office, for a new chanot-paper to be issued.

Or to have TOT lay a land-line, to your house, in a country-district.

Or to persuade the PEA to put up a few posts along a soi, to enable several new subscribers to be connected.

And that the Immigration sometimes forget to return one's change, when paying for visa-extension.

Or that the traffic-police may offer a lower fine, for discrete cash-payment on-the-spot, to save a time-wasting visit to the local police-station.

Where do you want to draw the line ? wai2.gif

Those taking peanuts earn only a short stay in the monkey house.

Transferred? Surely they should be dismissed from employment, and prosecuted (not only for the corrupt act) for abuse of their position.

Malfeasance or gross negligence would be the crime, no?

Well yes. So why should we be "curious if the people being transferred have a particular political affiliation?"

Fair and honest is your suggestion that encroachment must have occurred because companies own land?

If they are not being investigated because of their political affiliation, why were they never investigated over the last 10 years? Corruption investigation not Thaksin's gig?

Curious if the people being transferred have a particular political affiliation?

Is this legitimate or is it the Army consolidating power and putting their people on the gravy train I'm wondering?

Corruption is corruption, period.

The probe at the Khao Yai district is political inasmuch as the people involved are Red Shirt supporters but like everything else it has to start somewhere.

I personally think it is legitimate whereas you don't.

You obviously would want the probe to start with Suthep and the Democrats which therefore makes you as politically biased as you calim others are. If you think that the Army is putting their own people on the gravy train, find the evidence if there is any and report it.

• Like 1

Just a clarifying point.

See post #4

Maybe this is the start of more positive things, with this report coming only days after the " Thai Graft-Buster " openly made a statement worldwide, that he was dissapointed that he could find no inroads into the culture of widespread corruption in Thailand.

Where there is a will, there is a way. But the will has to be there.

"The NACC panel is considering if it should forward names of officials linked to illegal land title deeds and forest encroachment to the NACC."

What is there to "consider"?

Just a clarifying point.

Hopefully.

Transferred? Surely they should be dismissed from employment, and prosecuted (not only for the corrupt act) for abuse of their position.

Malfeasance or gross negligence would be the crime, no?

Well yes. So why should we be "curious if the people being transferred have a particular political affiliation?"

It would be unscrupulous to just target the parties that have a different political affiliation. I think it would be a crime actually.

I would be curious to see the red/yellow ratio on arrests etc the last 12 months.

Is this a one sided situation I wonder?