What would be considered Thai comfort food?

elgenon

There are six fairly distinct regions in Thailand; Northern, Northeastern, Western, Central, Eastern and Southern. Each region has it's food specialties and preferences. At out house, which is in the Northeast, comfort food is larb, kway teow (bpet, moo, gai and nuea), kanom jeen, som tam, rad na, khao niao, gang om, gang nor mai and khao niao ma-muang or khao tom mad for dessert.

The Northeastern Thais eat fresh-water fish but not much from the sea as may be eaten in some of the other regions. Lots of fresh (uncooked) vegetables are preferred like cucumbers, long beans, cabbage and carrots. Unripe fruit such as green mango, papaya or guava are also favored.

The foods I've listed are the ones that I see most often when people just want to eat something that could locally be called "comfort food". I'm pretty sure that a list from any other part of Thailand would be much different.

• Like 1

Depends on what region you are living in, and the spiciness that you want... Never had problems with it, or are you looking for a comfort food restaurant, that is maybe from your country? In Thailand, and in fact any restaurant that you may visit, even in one's country.... They ask you what number of spiciness that you want, depends on your comfort zone.... w00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gif

My #1 vote would be nam phrik plaa thuu. It's pretty much the essence of Thai food, and what Thais seem to miss the most when not in Thailand.

Yes, I forgot to include nam phrik plaa thuu in the Northeastern list. One of the few salt-water fish that is eaten on a regular basis here. We seem to always have a few plaa thuu wrapped in paper and sitting in the fridge. I don't mind eating it occasionally but not real fond of smell while the wife is cooking it. Thankfully, she nearly always cooks it in the outside kitchen.

Jok moo with an egg + all the fixings is also popular here. It's typically eaten in the mornings but can be served anytime during the day. My wife tells me that jok is a favored hang-over remedy as well.

Northeast, it's Papaya salad. Maybe not so much for the Thais, but the Isaan fall back on that dish for menses, breakups, a good cry and chat with friends, death, birth, etc. When my wife is feeling down, this always cheers her up. It's her only comfort food.

Here in the deep South they eat pretty much fiish (pla) are scampis (goong) coocked (tom) with different sauces are backed (pat) with ginger or frech herbs.

Pat Thai, papaya pok pok, massarman gai, sweet pork (moo wan) and cocked pigleg with brown sauce are also high on the list.

But the most appresieted and expensive is the grilled pork (al parts) who is smear with a mix of honey peeper and salt. Mostly in Trang and on his best at Chinees New Year. People come from far to eat it at this time.

South here. Wifey will call up a friend and say, "Lets go out for som tum". While overseas, she hankered for fish stomach curry.

When she's moody, she'll eat fresh fruit, especially watermelon.

Yum dishes (mango or bean thread noodle, etc) seem "special" though not expensive as does kanom chin.

The neighbours will gather on someone's porch and share fruit, any fruit, and munch away while gossiping.

I guess those all comprise "comfort foods".