Koh Phangan Bans All But Full Moon Parties

Jacob Maslow

Koh Phangan is known as “party central,” but the local authorities are trying to clean up the island’s image. While full moon parties will still be permitted, authorities have prohibited most of the other loud and wild parties the island is known for.

Each year, the island’s parties attract hordes of young Westerners. But the decision to ban most of these parties might have a negative effect on tourism – and the revenue it brings in.

The Koh Phangan district office announced the ban on Sunday. Local residents were complaining of the noise, which was disturbing their way of life. Word of the noise pollution reached Chatpong Chatput, the provincial governor. Chatpong ordered local officials to sort out the issue by April 3.

Full moon parties will still be permitted, but jungle parties, dark moon parties and half-moon parties will be prohibited.

The party ban may be disappointing for owners of local establishments – and potential attendees – but the decision isn’t surprising. The island has been trying to transform its image from “party central” to a “full moon party destination”.

The island’s full moon party is, naturally, held every full moon night on Haad Rin. The party is an island trademark, but it also has a reputation for drugs. Each year, the island’s famous parties draw in approximately 7 billion baht.

tvn.png
-- 2015-04-06

post-231994-0-57916200-1428347958_thumb.

So Bangkokians will drop 22.8 billion baht in a few days over Songkran, yet the grungy, noisy, drug fuelled backpacking set can't even manage to spend 7 billion in a years worth of parties. Sounds like Koh Phangan might be better off without them... ahem

"Word of the noise pollution reached Chatpong Chatput, the provincial governor".

Chatpong ordered local officials to sort out the issue by April 3.

Finally the word "reached the governor " and he gave an order.

Perhaps there was a brief lull in the revelry and he finally heard the complaints. smile.png

You could probably volunteer in the gold strip mining pit they'll be digging though. Party on!

The only successful gold diggers in Thailand are the ones with their hands in our pants...whistling.gif

Edited by Basil B

They have found a new income there.... Its called GOLD FEVER. get rid of the parties and lets start a open pit gold mine.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Huge gold mine planned for Koh Phangan http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/813821-huge-gold-mine-planned-for-koh-phangan/

Maybe you should have noted the date...

Its kind of strange that after one week of announcing the gold mine they start this banning of parties....

Maybe after they rape the gold the can use the pit for Samui's garbage problem...

They have found a new income there.... Its called GOLD FEVER. get rid of the parties and lets start a open pit gold mine.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Huge gold mine planned for Koh Phangan http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/813821-huge-gold-mine-planned-for-koh-phangan/

Maybe you should have noted the date...

Its kind of strange that after one week of announcing the gold mine they start this banning of parties....

Maybe after they rape the gold the can use the pit for Samui's garbage problem...

Shush...facepalm.gif

That is the lead story for 1/4/16.cheesy.gif