US Sen. John McCain announces he's running for 6th term

webfact

US Sen. John McCain announces he's running for 6th term
By BOB CHRISTIE

PHOENIX (AP) — Sen. John McCain announced Tuesday that he will run for re-election in 2016, making official a move that has been widely expected for the Republican as he looks to extend his nearly three-decade career in the Senate.

McCain described his plans to run before an Arizona Chamber of Commerce and Industry luncheon in Phoenix, receiving a loud applause when he told the crowd: "With a full heart, I ask Arizonans again for their support as I seek re-election to the United States Senate. I'm as determined as ever to deserve your trust and grateful as ever for the privilege."

His appearance before a pro-business crowd put him in friendly territory ahead of a race in which he will likely face a challenge from the right amid tea party dissatisfaction over his record in the Senate.

McCain will be 80 by Election Day, but says he is in great shape and has much work to do in the Senate.

"I work 16-hour days. Look at what I've done for Arizona and America," he told The Associated Press. "Make your own judgment."

McCain is a former prisoner of war during the Vietnam War who was first elected to the Senate in 1986, replacing longtime conservative stalwart Barry Goldwater. He ran for president in 2000 and secured the Republican Party's nomination in 2008, losing to Barack Obama. He coasted to re-election to the Senate in 2010 and has signaled on several occasions in recent months that he was planning to seek a sixth term.

McCain said he will emphasize local issues during his campaign, such as the drought, his work to benefit a copper mine and legislation to reform the Department of Veterans Affairs. The VA was thrown into turmoil last year amid allegations of misconduct and cover-ups at the VA hospital in Phoenix.

The most prominent Republican to hint of challenging McCain is state Sen. Kelli Ward, a conservative member of the Arizona Legislature. Ward said she is still "testing the waters" but knows she'll have to raise between $5 million and $10 million to beat McCain, who already has more than $3.5 million in cash on hand and the ability to raise much more.

"Being able to raise money is going to be very important. I think that's very important in a David and Goliath situation," Ward said.

The state Republican party's leaders, dominated by conservatives, censured McCain last year for not being sufficiently conservative, but he's brushed off the criticism.

A spokeswoman for the Arizona Democratic Party called McCain an "angry man who pontificates on pretty much anything.

"McCain's not going to do anything to help working families in Arizona," party spokeswoman Barbara Lubin said. "He lives for the media interviews. He certainly is not a statesman, and I think that he's just publicly differing with the president just to get himself press. That's all he lives for these days."

Glenn Hamer, president of the Arizona Chamber, said McCain never takes anything for granted in a political race and has a deep reservoir of support in Arizona. That combined with his national security credentials should easily overcome any primary challenge in 2016, Hamer said.

"I would expect that he would be overwhelmingly re-elected," he said.

McCain was elevated to chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee this year after his party reclaimed the Senate. He has repeatedly used his prominence on the committee to attack Obama on foreign policy, ridiculing what he called a "feckless policy of leading from behind."

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-04-08

He already ran for president.

He lost.

He won't be running for president ever again.

Yes, now, too old, and also previously losers usually not nominated again.

As republicans go, there are MUCH worse out there.

Edited by Jingthing

Hope he is defeated in the primaries. The definition of RINO Republicans.

Yes, he's not right wing enough. Ye gods.

There isn’t a war John McCain doesn’t want America to be involved in. If there’s a conflict going on, you can pretty safely bet that McCain wants in on it.

McCain is the worst. Pro or anti war depending on whether it benefits him politically. Vehemently anti the use of torture as an interrogation method by the military, then he's suddenly for it because the CIA shouldn't be held to the same standards. Unwilling to accept that America’s role in Iraq was increasingly pointless and counterproductive, he believes in America’s divine right to occupy a country for as long as it likes in order to achieve its objectives. He was instrumental in helping the Bush Administration build a case for war in Iraq, despite any evidence of WMDs or Saddam’s links to Al-Qaeda.

He doesn't have an ounce of personal integrity, throwing his old wife out to acquire the rich plastic numskull he's with these days.

Graduated last in his class in the military academy that he got into with family connections. Managed to take out a few crew members on a landing and get shot down in Vietnam. Used that to get elected and ultimately introduce the world to Sarah Palin. This is the guy who wanted to put Palin in line as President of the United States in case, god forbid, something happened to him!

McCain leaves an unbelievable legacy. The lowest support of all Republican senators (that in itself is amazing). What a tool.

Edited by Pinot
  • Like 2

I certainly hope that the voters of the State of Arizona do NOT give him a sixth-term. That would put his tenure in the US Senate at 36-years. That is far too long for anyone to be there. He is so entrenched with lobbyists they will probably have to pry him from his seat in the Senate. And, yes, he is the epitomy of the phrase RINO...Republican In Name Only.

• Like 1

I don't usually like his politics, but I find him kind of lovable. He had to take a risk with Palin when he ran for president and that choice turned out to be a big mistake but I think he could have won with a different kind of VP risk and also some political adjustments.

Don't forget the USS Forrestal.

McCain, goofing around and set off a tremendous fire with exploding ordinance all around. How many sailors got killed?

"McCain crashed 5 jets, plus was responsible for the Forrestal fire. Something made the plane behind McCain fire a rocket, which hit McCain's external center fuel tank, and caused a fire. McCain panicked, and dropped two bombs into the fire.

Surviving crewmen of the USS Forestal and those who investigated the Forrestal fire case reported that McCain deliberately 'wet-started' his A-4E Skyhawk to shake up the guy in the F-4 Phantom behind his plane.
'Wet-starts', done either deliberately (the starter motor switch allowed kerosene to pool in the engine and give a wet start) or accidentally, shoot a large flame from the tail of the aircraft.'Wet starting' was a common practice among young 'hot-dog' pilots.
In McCain's case, the 'wet-start''cooked off' and launched the M34 Zuni rocket from the rear F-4 that punctured the Skyhawk's fueltank, knocked the M-65 1000 lb bomb off it's 500 lb rated mount, and touched off the explosions and massive fire.

When the carrier Oriskany came along side, and McCain was put in a chopper and whisked away. McCain was the only Forrestal crewman to be immediately transferred .I have a hunch McCain left for his own safety, because the crew wanted blood."

• Like 2

Hope he is defeated in the primaries. The definition of RINO Republicans.

Yes, he's not right wing enough. Ye gods.

There isn’t a war John McCain doesn’t want America to be involved in. If there’s a conflict going on, you can pretty safely bet that McCain wants in on it.

McCain is the worst. Pro or anti war depending on whether it benefits him politically. Vehemently anti the use of torture as an interrogation method by the military, then he's suddenly for it because the CIA shouldn't be held to the same standards. Unwilling to accept that America’s role in Iraq was increasingly pointless and counterproductive, he believes in America’s divine right to occupy a country for as long as it likes in order to achieve its objectives. He was instrumental in helping the Bush Administration build a case for war in Iraq, despite any evidence of WMDs or Saddam’s links to Al-Qaeda.

He doesn't have an ounce of personal integrity, throwing his old wife out to acquire the rich plastic numskull he's with these days.

Graduated last in his class in the military academy that he got into with family connections. Managed to take out a few crew members on a landing and get shot down in Vietnam. Used that to get elected and ultimately introduce the world to Sarah Palin. This is the guy who wanted to put Palin in line as President of the United States in case, god forbid, something happened to him!

McCain leaves an unbelievable legacy. The lowest support of all Republican senators (that in itself is amazing). What a tool.

AND-- You are being very kind to the Traitor!!!

• Like 1

He was the class clown, finished near the bottom and got to fly and crash Navy jets because his daddy was a big shot.

He was the class clown, finished near the bottom and got to fly and crash Navy jets because his daddy was a big shot.

Pretty tuff guy though going thru POW ordeal.

Edited by jamesjohnsonthird