France not a good example of democracy, says Kraisak Choonhavan

webfact

At least France has freedom of speech and you can say and write that president Hollande is an !d!ot without getting jailed.

Try that in Thailand.

you can try in France, you will be fall for defamatory...

There were some protesters who criticize Holland or Fromer president Sarkozy these people were arrest and detain by presidential security....

You cannot make any negative remark against power without have an investigation from police or see revenue inspector control you

In France there are not really freedom of speech......... you cannot criticize religion, a joke in a "lay" country....

Are you joking? You never read charlie hebdo? Just type charlie hebdo on google then image and enjoy the various cover pages dealing with political figures and others

Look humorist Dieudonné, government want to shut him.........

If you criticize Chaly hebdo you will have problem......

So France is not now a good example of democracy because of it's pas colonial laws. It further confirms that these guys are under the modernity of the 50's.

You must te relearn your history, France has make a lot of harm to Thailand with his gunship diplomacy......

Preah Vihar is one of result of this colonial time, when English and French wanted to control Thailand

On the contrary, France protected the region, particularly Laos from Thai expansionism. If you recall the history, Thailand made an opportunistic land grab during WWII and the Vichy French pressured the Japanese to hold Thailand in check. Thailand was actively collaborating with Japan while other countries in the region were resisting the Japanese. A large part of the resistance movement was associated with the communists, while the 'military' faction was in the Japanese camp. Many people forget that the communists played an important role in removing the Japanese and then the French colonial forces. When we forget history, it tends to repeat itself.

In this time France just protect is interest, some part of Thailand has been steel by force by french colonial campaign...... France have during this time a diplomacy call gunship diplomacy, France want new territory in Thailand, Thailand said no, France send gunship and threaten to bomber Bangkok for forced Thailand to accept it..... this the glorious colonial history of France in this part of the world.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franco-Siamese_War

Yeah...anti-semetic rants and hate- speech are forbidden in many places...and that is something else as criticizing or even insulting the President.

France have is lese majesty law too :

The offending the head of state is governed in France by Articles 23, 26, 36 and 37 of the law on freedom of the press of 29 July 1881, in order to punish offenses against public figures, protected because of the functions they occupy

Insulting the President of the Republic is punishable by a fine of € 12,000 under section 33, paragraph 1 of the Law of 29 July 1881 and defamation € 45,000 under Section 31 of the same law.

Just because we have democracy in our own country, well, that don't mean to say that we are going to spread it to our colonies.

We want benefits for our own country, that don't mean to say that we want the same benefits for our colonies. Actually, we didn't set up those colonies to benefit those foreigners, those colonies were set up to benefit ourselves. Was anybody silly enough to believe that we colonised those foreign countries because we wanted to make life better for those foreigners ??

• Like 1

What I don't understand is how the present French Constitution, which dates of 1958 could be used to c rack down on colonies before WW2?

And if you compare Thai Constitution Art. 44 with Art. 16 of the French Constitution anyone can see that these two articles are miles apart.

Your post one of the few posts that make any sense in this thread. The answer to your question is "Thainess" as some TV members like to phrase it.

First Wissanu made an inappropriate comparison between article 44 and the article 16 of the current French constitution.

See http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Article-44-inspired-by-France-30257645.html for critics of this comparison.

Then Kraisak, answers with another irrelevant comparison refering to the French colonial policy. As mentioned by Dominique, article 16 dates from 1958 and has not been applied to oppress colonies. It has been applied only once in France since 1958. It was in 1961 and it was against putschist generals who wanted to keep Algeria French and refused any idea of independance.

So basically this story is about one guy who obviously doesn't know what he is talking about, answering another guy who also doesn't know what he is talking about. Good luck to the Thai constitution!

PS When I read this thread, they are obviously not the only ones who don't know what they are talking about!

• Like 1

At least France has freedom of speech and you can say and write that president Hollande is an !d!ot without getting jailed.

Try that in Thailand.

There were some protesters who criticize Holland or Fromer president Sarkozy these people were arrest and detain by presidential security....

You cannot make any negative remark against power without have an investigation from police or see revenue inspector control you

In France there are not really freedom of speech......... you cannot criticize religion, a joke in a "lay" country....

Are you joking? You never read charlie hebdo? Just type charlie hebdo on google then image and enjoy the various cover pages dealing with political figures and others

than, are you French ? do you understand French language ? do you read French press ( Internet ) ?; if you are not French , where are you from ? My opinion is that you are judging France by " on dit " . Do you understand what Dieudonné says ( in original language, not translated in English ) ? Hollande is criticized every day by all political side ( even his " friends " ), nobody goes to jail for this

So France is not now a good example of democracy because of it's pas colonial laws. It further confirms that these guys are under the modernity of the 50's.

You must te relearn your history, France has make a lot of harm to Thailand with his gunship diplomacy......

Preah Vihar is one of result of this colonial time, when English and French wanted to control Thailand

I don't deny the harm done by French colonial policy. What I mean is that it doesn't make the CURRENT state of democracy in France worst than what it is.

Unfortunately, you are wasting your time. If they did not see it reported in the Nation, then it did not happen, or the news source was paid off by thaksin.

Try that in Thailand.

He's not a humourist when he's spouting his bigotry. He's a bigot.

You can criticise Chaly Hebdo all you want and many do.

You just can't celebrate the hate and prejudice that the scum who murdered the staff there advocate.

Quite rightly as well.

• Like 1

You just can't celebrate the hate and prejudice that the scum who murdered the staff there advocate.

Quite rightly as well.

A bigot?????

He can be many things but certainly not a bigot

I m not trying to convince you that Dieudonne is a humorist, you seem to hate the man and i may understand why.

However he didn t celebrate the hate neither the killing of Charlie Hebdo Staff, but it seem you just read the Emmanuel Vals news.

He said he felt a bit like Charlie Coulibaly, which is understandable if you take the time to try.

Dieudonne made a lot of hilarious gigs and still do...

Why the government hates him? because he hit the only people you can't criticize in France without being tagged as Antisemit.

The gig he made and which was the starting point of his fall was not antisemit, it was a jew yes, but a settler, and a far right wing settler (the kind of settler who just shoot at Paletinian for nothing) and made a nazi salute while shooting "isra-heil"

From now he is seen as an antisemit and his "quenelle", basically a fist-'k for the government is tagged an inverted nazi salute, which is stupid.

However you have many gigs about muslims, black people, chineses,...and nobody care in France...

After this side note :yes in France you can criticze the President.

When the last one (sarkozy) sais to a citizen : casse toi pauvre con (move away ) you have the tone of the french freedom.

The law in France is far from the thailand law and if Thailand actual Junta really wanted to use the french legislation they could go further back in History or nowdays, but avoid the colonialist era

Could those sounding off about France and Germany find them on a blank world map ?

I doubt it.

So do I. Geographic knowledge is poor in many countries. A few moments watching this clip will help you understand why the Americans are a lot smarter than the Thais. And to appease all those who think it's an America bash, substitute the UK, and even Canada.

Brilliant. Funniest thing I've seen in a while.

Not sure the lady across from me agrees though, sprayed coffee all over her 30 seconds into the clip.

Who do I send the dry cleaning bill to?

;~}

• Like 1

France was not a good example of democracy

It's a dam sight closer to it than anything you and your mates would like to implement.

No it is not.....read about how you can be nominated as presidential candidate.....

Medium sized parties can not have any voice in parliament. France is a very bad example.

Yes it is....

First of all because France is not a Kingdom anymore

Second because you seem to lack a lot of french political knowledge

Third because you seem to lack a lot of thai political knowledge

The thing which is missing in France is the acknowledgment of blank or null votes in the final result.

Otherwise it's not the worse democratic election system (far better than the US one for exemple, or UK one) but still there is not any perfect way.

Edited by aaacorp

Quite rightly as well.

A bigot?????

He can be many things but certainly not a bigot

I m not trying to convince you that Dieudonne is a humorist, you seem to hate the man and i may understand why.

However he didn t celebrate the hate neither the killing of Charlie Hebdo Staff, but it seem you just read the Emmanuel Vals news.

He said he felt a bit like Charlie Coulibaly, which is understandable if you take the time to try.

Dieudonne made a lot of hilarious gigs and still do...

Why the government hates him? because he hit the only people you can't criticize in France without being tagged as Antisemit.

The gig he made and which was the starting point of his fall was not antisemit, it was a jew yes, but a settler, and a far right wing settler (the kind of settler who just shoot at Paletinian for nothing) and made a nazi salute while shooting "isra-heil"

From now he is seen as an antisemit and his "quenelle", basically a fist-'k for the government is tagged an inverted nazi salute, which is stupid.

However you have many gigs about muslims, black people, chineses,...and nobody care in France...

After this side note :yes in France you can criticze the President.

When the last one (sarkozy) sais to a citizen : casse toi pauvre con (move away ) you have the tone of the french freedom.

The law in France is far from the thailand law and if Thailand actual Junta really wanted to use the french legislation they could go further back in History or nowdays, but avoid the colonialist era

No.

When he engages in hate speech, in his act or on social media, he's a bigot.

I never said he celebrated what happened at Chaly Hebdo, I was just saying you can criticise the magazine if you want, in response to the post I was replying to.

However no one should not celebrate what happened there. And in no way am I insinuating that Than was doing so, it was just a personal comment from me. Nothing more was intended by it.

As for attacking other faiths in a hateful manner, I condemn that as well. No matter what the faith.

Equally so with racist statements.

Edited by Bluespunk

Yeah...anti-semetic rants and hate- speech are forbidden in many places...and that is something else as criticizing or even insulting the President.

France have is lese majesty law too :

The offending the head of state is governed in France by Articles 23, 26, 36 and 37 of the law on freedom of the press of 29 July 1881, in order to punish offenses against public figures, protected because of the functions they occupy

Insulting the President of the Republic is punishable by a fine of € 12,000 under section 33, paragraph 1 of the Law of 29 July 1881 and defamation € 45,000 under Section 31 of the same law.

Okay Einstein...and now follow me down the slippery slope, you just made for yourself: how many times - in the last 20 years for example- has France actually ENFORCED these laws?

And how about Thailand in the same time?

...and which democracy was not an example for which other democracy?

• Like 1