Aussie man and Thai woman wanted in Phuket for fraud arrested in Khon Kaen

webfact

Aussie man and Thai woman wanted in Phuket for fraud arrested in Khonkaen
Eakkapop Thongtub

1428552023_1-org.jpg
Shun Michael Albert Maher and Rosarin Poewichai were wanted for alleged fraud.

PHUKET: -- An Australian man and a woman for Khonkaen who had arrest warrants issued for them by Phuket Provincial Court on March 20 for alleged fraud were arrested in Khonkaen on Tuesday (April 7).

Details of the arrests of Shun Michael Albert Maher, 40, from Australia and Rosarin Poewichai, 25, from Khonkaen were announced at a police press conference held yesterday (April 8).

The two were apprehended by police in front of Ubolrat Police Station on Tuesday and were immediately transferred to Phuket.

They are currently being held at Kathu Police Station while awaiting prosecution.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/aussie-man-and-thai-woman-wanted-in-phuket-for-fraud-arrested-in-khonkaen-51797.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-04-09

Aussie, Thai held over plantation scam
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Police have arrested an Australian and his alleged Thai accomplice for allegedly swindling money out of many foreign investors.

Shaun Michael Albert Maher, 41, and Rossarin Phowichai, 25, were nabbed in Khon Kaen province on Tuesday.

The arrests are related to complaints filed in Phuket province by many foreigners, who say the two suspects had lured them into investing hundreds of thousands of baht in cassava plantations.

"The victims have never received any returns," Crime Suppression Division's acting chief Colonel Akaradej Pimonsri said yesterday.

He said that after the scam the suspects had fled from Phuket to Khon Kaen.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Aussie-Thai-held-over-plantation-scam-30257704.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-04-09

Nu

and this is news because a farang was involved? How many times has a farang invested with Thais never to see a dime? If they put those stories in the news every time that happened the newspaper would contain a lot more pages.

This is an expat forum I thought, or something like it, so obviously editorially one would favour stories about farangs etc. Wouldn't one?

There is also no reference to the victims or particular victims. There are also many stories regarding farangs being ripped. I don't think you're looking hard enough. Especially for an all seeing eye.

Perhaps a contact lens would improve.

In the prior Phuket news release, it says the victims were both Thais and Farangs. Obviously, an equal opportunity swindler. Edited by zaphod reborn
  • Like 1

and this is news because a farang was involved? How many times has a farang invested with Thais never to see a dime? If they put those stories in the news every time that happened the newspaper would contain a lot more pages.

This is an expat forum I thought, or something like it, so obviously editorially one would favour stories about farangs etc. Wouldn't one?

There is also no reference to the victims or particular victims. There are also many stories regarding farangs being ripped. I don't think you're looking hard enough. Especially for an all seeing eye.

Perhaps a contact lens would improve.

I do have my reading glasses on, do you? If so, you will notice that the article does not originate from TVF but from the Phuket News.

Either way a farang getting ripped off by a Thai should then make it here as well?? My point is, we seem to see a lot less of the farang getting ripped off stories then we do when a Thai gets ripped off by a farang or a Nigerian scam artist.

I was also trying to say that I am sure a lot more farang's get ripped off by Thai's then Thai's being ripped off by farang's (although it does happen too so you can save your time writing a reply to that).

There should be a story about all the foreigners getting ripped of by landlords taking "key money" after fake promises, contracts, building plans and fake sold signs being put up to look like everything is selling (Fraud). But that will never happen.

• Like 1

What is he holding in his left hand?

Looks like some sort of walking stick..Maybe a prop to his spiel.

That and the tatts could of alerted the police. Common crim mistake to think that all police are stupid and unobservent.

Edited by joboss

What is he holding in his left hand?

Looks like some sort of walking stick..Maybe a prop to his spiel.

That and the tatts could of alerted the police. Common crim mistake to think that all police are stupid and unobservent.

Not all are as inbred as folks back home in Tassie.

One of his legs is in a cast.
  • Like 1

I've never personally met any Westerner who would be so naive as to invest thousands of baht into a dubious agricultural project offered by a heavily tattooed foreigner. Where do they find such fools?

In bars, although these two picked on an "investor" with connections, hence the follow up and arrest.