Former Australia cricket captain, commentator Benaud dies

webfact

Former Australia cricket captain, commentator Benaud dies

SYDNEY (AP) — Former Australia cricket captain and television commentator Richie Benaud has died at the age of 84, his employer Channel Nine network said Friday.

Benaud, considered one of the most influential cricket identities of the past century, had been fighting skin cancer and died overnight in a Sydney hospice.

Nine Network chief executive David Gyngell said in statement "Richie Benaud's passing has robbed us not only of a national treasure but a lovely man ... Richie earned the profound and lasting respect of everyone across the world of cricket and beyond."

A veteran of 63 test matches, Benaud played a pivotal role in the formation of World Series Cricket in the 1970s and was one of the world's most recognized commentators, anchoring the Nine Network's cricket coverage for decades.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-04-10

Very Sad

When I was a kid in the 70s cricket was my favorite sport to play and watch and people like Benaud are the reason I found the game so enjoyable and entertaining

RIP Richie

Thanks

Not hearing Richie's cricket commentary on a hot summer Sunday, in the park or on the beach, will never be the same will they ?

Tew for tew,tew,tew. (2 for 222) Such an Aussie icon and such a marvellous man. As captain of the Aussie cricket team in the late 50's he never

lost a test series over 5 seasons before he retired. His commentary and knowledge of the game were always first class. A true gentleman.

Condolences to his family. RIP Richie

• Like 2