UPS hostage situation for clothes shipped from the States

rahul213

Anyone faced with this unpleasant experience ? Basically I bought clothes worth 180$ (Shipped by UPS for 60$). The shipment reaches Thailand and after a few hours I get a call from some non English speaking guy asking me to pay for customs money amount $100 if I wanted my shipment. Has anyone before been through this courier racket ?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The online shop I bought the stuff doesn't refund or anything. I think if i refuse also its basically gone.

How did you pay for it ? Via card, you have a way, via Paypal, you also have a way.

Paid it via the Kbank card.

I wonder why is USPS or other government courier services are never in this sort of situation ? Anybody had a bad experience with those also ?

with my experience non-courier services (normal post) a lot of the times the parcels simply come in under the radar, occasionally I do get stung for import taxes and duties but that is rare.

With companies like UPS, they always do the customs calculations and also do the collecting.

Edited by Don Mega
  • Like 1

I wonder why is USPS or other government courier services are never in this sort of situation ? Anybody had a bad experience with those also ?

with my experience non-courier services (normal post) a lot of the times the parcels simply come in under the radar, occasionally I do get stung for import taxes and duties but that is rare.

With companies like UPS, they always do the customs calculations and also do the collecting.

Yeah these companies are hideous. Lesson is don't ever use any of those big courier companies to get stuff from abroad into Thailand.

I regularly order shirts from The Tailor Store online. Their factory is in Sri Lanka and delivery is by UPS to Thailand. Never had to pay any customs charges yet - got another package due next week, so fingers crossed.

You're American right? You hardly know what tax is.
So Thailand has high import tax on clothing. So does India, so does South Africa, so does Brazil. The idea is to protect the local industry. Probably 40%, by the sound of it. UPS will add handling/customs fees.

The arithmetic

<< That's what I did. I also never ever used a courier service again. >>

it depends on the country. Typically, the PO depot / international hub has a Customs department, staffed by Revenue Service / Customs. If you use post services instead of courier, they will calculate the import duty and you pay when you collect the parcel.

The arithmetic that Don Mega showed is wrong. The import duty is calculated on the value of the goods, not including the shipping cost. Then after the import duty is added, there may be VAT.

Same in SA. But if it's labeled as Clothing [or whatever - computer components or whatever] the import duty will be applied.

Edited by Cat ji
  • Like 1

Yeah certainly should be fingers crossed. The store I ordered was from a website called skate warehouse.com. Prices were decent when buying it. But now its inflated to almost double with shipping and the UPS bullshit money stuff.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

So Thailand has high import tax on clothing. So does India, so does South Africa, so does Brazil. The idea is to protect the local industry. Probably 40%, by the sound of it. UPS will add handling/customs fees.

The arithmetic

it depends on the country. Typically, the PO depot / international hub has a Customs department, staffed by Revenue Service / Customs. If you use post services instead of courier, they will calculate the import duty and you pay when you collect the parcel.

The arithmetic that Don Mega showed is wrong. The import duty is calculated on the value of the goods, not including the shipping cost. Then after the import duty is added, there may be VAT.

So the quoted fee should be less than Don Mega's calculation ?

Stated value of goods; import duty calculated on that, + VAT. That is why so many bike parts vendors and so on in the US say on their websites, "NO, we will not understate the value or mark it as GIFT ...it is against the law..." etc.

That's why i never buy anything from a vendor that only ships UPS or Fedex. UPS is the worst. You paid like $80, $100, for shipping and then when it arrives, they add another $10 or so for handling/customs fees. And they bring you a pile of documents to sign. Never seen anything ike it. i hate them.

Where possible, i look for Chinese sellers on ebay. They know what to do, without asking.

Edited by Cat ji

$180(product) + $60(shipping)= $240.

$240 + 30% import tax = $312.

$312 + 7% vat = $333.84

$333.84 - $240 = $93.84

$93.84 total import taxes to be paid.

Where is the hostage situation, Or did you believe you could import stuff into Thailand and completely avoid all import taxes and duties ?

You wrong! There will be something like 200 Baht clearance fee. Which makes it exactly 100 USD....so it seams complete correct

• Like 1

That's why i never buy anything from a vendor that only ships UPS or Fedex. UPS is the worst. You paid like $80, $100, for shipping and then when it arrives, they add another $10 or so for handling/customs fees. And they bring you a pile of documents to sign. Never seen anything ike it. i hate them.

Yeah now I also certainly hate them.

The arithmetic

Same in SA. But if it's labeled as Clothing [or whatever - computer components or whatever] the import duty will be applied.

And try to import something to Germany......you'll give Thai customs a tip for their helpful service.......

• Like 1

Yeah certainly should be fingers crossed. The store I ordered was from a website called skate warehouse.com. Prices were decent when buying it. But now its inflated to almost double with shipping and the UPS bullshit money stuff.

I won't have to worry about shipping - it's free, or included in the cost, whichever way you want to look at it. On the other hand, order a couple of shirts from Tailor on Ten in Bangkok and they stiff you an extra 750 baht for delivery to Hat Yai.