Are we not valued as people here?

And yes Pattaya while there are many nice people there a place that is one of the worlds biggest sex tourist/pat destinantions in the world is always going to attract lots of scum from it's own country and from around the world.

Have to agree with this. I live up country and have the opportunity to meet some truly lovely people here. Have our share of drunken no goods too but nothing comes close to the tattooed farang scumbag I saw come out of festival shopping centre toilet cubicle with his pants around his ankles and abused the poor little thai cleaning lady in the most hateful way because he wasn't aware he needed to take paper in the loo with him. I only hope she didn't understand the words he was using.

If I had a gun I cudve put a bullet in his head and went and had lunch. We need to make sure we also don't harm tourism and our image.

By the way I hate the term farang but I realize they don't mean anything bad by it. Different culture different values. It is not a derogatory or racist term.

Where I live I am afforded VIP treatment everywhere I go simply because I am "farang". it makes me feel embarrassed to have a hard working man spent 12 hours in the fields working for 200 baht a day bow down to me because I am luckier than him but that's the culture. I must say though particularly at Songkrahn I get sick of getting pushed and pulled by drunken Thai men wanting to be my best friend. I mean it's ok the first 6 times but....

Edited by Kenny202

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In LOS as a farang respect from the locals comes as earned and not demanded.

Nonsense. That's just a sorry excuse for blatant racism.

I lived in a very popular tourist town in the States and we showed respect to all our visitors. They didn't need to earn it.

We had millions of visitors too...and some acted up. Some culture clash, someone getting a bit too drunk on holiday etc. We didn't go around bashing those people and hating all the rest.

My question is? Who do Thai people like?

as long as idiot westerners call themselves ' farangs' its hard to imagine anyone showing them any form of respect. can u imagine a chinese or thai guy in the uk calling himself a yellow man,,,

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Sensitive flower Rijit.

Bet you have no problem calling yourself an expat. Expat, foreigner, immigrant, falang, What's in a name? It's just a classifier

Call it sensitive if it makes you feel better, but personally i dont think classifying someone by the colour of their skin is acceptable..

Farang = non-Thai

Where does it say anything about the colour of the skin..?

the thai dictionary, the kings version so I'm led to believe.

funny, dont know if anyone is up on neville shute novels, but in some of his earlier books he quite innocently called afro americans n-----rs, it was just the term used, no malice meant.

history lesson: the term falang or farang was used by the people of indo china prior to WW-2 to describe their foreign masters the "french" after the war and indo china split up into various countries it was a common term used by the thai's to describe any WHITE foreigner. as for me whenever a thai referes to me as a falang I immediately correct him/her and say that I am an AMERICAN not french! it works every time once they realize that I can understand their language.

I'm German, and for me 'German' is a swear word. I prefer to be called 'Farang'

Nonsense. That's just a sorry excuse for blatant racism.

I lived in a very popular tourist town in the States and we showed respect to all our visitors. They didn't need to earn it.

We had millions of visitors too...and some acted up. Some culture clash, someone getting a bit too drunk on holiday etc. We didn't go around bashing those people and hating all the rest.

My question is? Who do Thai people like?

I disagree. Thais are leery of many tourists, not racist.

I would bet not all of you respected the visitors to your tourist town in the States. Tourists visiting Thailand seem to abandon good manners, good behavior, and act like they never would in their own countries.

Unless your tourist town in the states was Miami Beach at spring break, I don't think it compares. I agree with CapeThai.

Thai people seem to like me.

I've only seen this phrase recently and I imagine they have been told to say it from a certain person.

Although we all know who has really done the most to hurt tourism.

=========

There are some really unpleasant and utterly selfish people here ( and I will include some of the wifes family and some of my neighbours on that) and yes it is a fair proportion of the population, but there is also many very nice, kind, understanding people here ( and I will include many of my wifes family and some of my neighbours in that). Don't let the unpleasant people tar your opinion of all the good Thai people. Just treat them as if they don't exist. It's what they really hate.

And yes Pattaya while there are many nice people there a place that is one of the worlds biggest sex tourist/pat destinantions in the world is always going to attract lots of scum from it's own country and from around the world.

I agree with arthuewait, and many Thais I have met in my 19 years here have been good, honest people and many are friends.

I read the various articles on TV and the amount of vitriol is astounding. I sometimes wonder what type of lives some people live. Not just here but prior to coming here.

I know there are some pretty awful Thais and I have come across quite a few but once met do my utmost to avoid - why put yourself in that position.

Now I am sure I will get all the rose tinted glasses comments etc but I call it as I see it from my own experience.

Unfortunately these criminal acts diminish the good things do for visitors and themselves. I wont be specific but I have received in many instances kind acts from the Thai people and I have also seen a trend in young people committing crimes. I have seen violent acts on tourists in New Orleans and Miami. Again unfortunately this what gets the most attension.

all I see about us is Thai people look at us like a new toy or a walking wallet full of money, they do not ever say thank you even if it did cost thousand of baht it is the same we still foreigners and that is it.

I am getting use to it and like someone said I do it for me .

There give a hoot level is very low.

get with the program we are all only here for the pussy

Not only.

vee Tchermans are mainly here for ze kultchure und ze temples!

vee Tchermans are in it for the money.

Here's the value of a Tcherman in GerMONEY:

As much as they can squeeze out of you as long as you're there.

As much as you could cost them when you're gone.

Edited by micmichd

as long as idiot westerners call themselves ' farangs' its hard to imagine anyone showing them any form of respect. can u imagine a chinese or thai guy in the uk calling himself a yellow man,,,

Well, to me being called farang is no worse then being called a foreigner or Westerner. To me its like when I say "An asian man" or "Afro-American" Like the Chinese guy in your example, He would call him self Asian, And I would call myself a "Farang" in Thailand.

I have never experienced anyone using farang in a bad way, My girlfriends family is looking forward to their "Farang"-Thai mix grandchildren.

I believe the word "Farang" gets what you let it be, If you interpret it like a bad word it will be one, but if you believe its a positive word they use because they do not know what else to call you i believe its fine.

all I see about us is Thai people look at us like a new toy or a walking wallet full of money, they do not ever say thank you even if it did cost thousand of baht it is the same we still foreigners and that is it.

How come "thank you" is one of the first phrases I've learned in every Asian country (including Thailand) ?

How come "thank you" is one of the first phrases I've learned in every Asian country (including Thailand) ?

They learned to say 'thank you' because they are always taking?

What would be my value?

In Germoney they said I'm rich because of my Bank IT job. In Thailand they say I'm rich because I have a big heart.

I prefer the Thai assessment and take it as it is: I'll be a Farang wherever I go.

Happy New Year!

I can say this as I have quite a few "good" Thai friend which is openly talking about the "stupid farang" which comes to Thailand to try and change it. This is something people tend to forget is your in Thailand and not in the UK, Aus, US or Europe now. Your in Thailand and for this reason if you respect their ways and just go with the flow (sometimes does not make sense to us) without Thai bashing all the time you'll be ok and most Thai's will show you the necessary respect in return.

Nobody who says 'farang' would ever be my friend, no matter what the colour of their skin.

I absolutely refuse to associate with racists from any country.

And am happy to tell them that to their face.

It's not racist, it's descriptive.

an answer to your question is no farangs in general are classed lower than a dogs belly thais have no remorse in their makeup my advice to the older end is to steer clear of areas that may have a risk factor try and avoid the rat packs .

an answer to your question is no farangs in general are classed lower than a dogs belly thais have no remorse in their makeup my advice to the older end is to steer clear of areas that may have a risk factor try and avoid the rat packs .

I must be the exception that proves the rule!

I can say this as I have quite a few "good" Thai friend which is openly talking about the "stupid farang" which comes to Thailand to try and change it. This is something people tend to forget is your in Thailand and not in the UK, Aus, US or Europe now. Your in Thailand and for this reason if you respect their ways and just go with the flow (sometimes does not make sense to us) without Thai bashing all the time you'll be ok and most Thai's will show you the necessary respect in return.

Nobody who says 'farang' would ever be my friend, no matter what the colour of their skin.

Like "darkie"

Like "darkie"

No, like "black".

Like "darkie"

No, like "black".

which in context is ignorant and if used to quantify someone by the color of their skin, it's racist.

This is all a bit silly. Every country in the world has racists or people leary of outsiders. It's natural. Australia and England were probably the worst offenders up until 20 years ago after a long education program.

This is all a bit silly. Every country in the world has racists or people leary of outsiders. It's natural. Australia and England were probably the worst offenders up until 20 years ago after a long education program. I guess tourist areas are different to rural areas but I find generally I am warmly and genuinely accepted wherever I go and everyone here knows I'm no good for a hand out or free cigarette so money or free grog isnt the motivation. That's probably an understatement actually treated like a celebrity would be more accurate which can be quite annoying as an easy target for a drunk "pal" at festivals etc