Songkran car accident caused by fatigue

Thaivisa News

Nakhon Ratchasima: – Police have detained and charged a driver for negligent driving after crashing the pickup truck into a roadside tree, killing one and injuring four passengers.

The accident happened on the Phimai-Chumphuang road.

After getting initial treatments at Nakhon Ratchasima Maharat Hospital, driver Anek Thienphimai, 31, told police that he and four passengers were traveling back to Phimai hometown to celebrate Songkran.

Anek said the passengers included his father, girlfriend and two neighbours.

He said father rode shotgun with him while the girlfriend was in the backbench seat and the two neighbours were in the pickup bed.

He said he left Bangkok on Saturday’s night, expecting a five-hour drive. But he had to drive about 10 hours because of the road snarls and heavy traffic during the long holiday.

Around 4.30 am, he felt very tired. He said he continued to drive because he was about 20 kilometers from hometown.

He said he might have fallen asleep on the wheel because the next thing he knew was the pickup was veering off road before hitting the tree.

He said he had no time to regain control of the vehicle.

Four, including the driver, sustained serious injuries. One of the two neighbours had his neck broken upon impact and died at the scene.

The driver had chest pain due to impact at the wheel.

The driver’s father had multiple wounds in the face and body. He also had dislocated neck disc.

The driver faces initial charges related to negligent driving pending the completion of police report.

Caused by fatigue. No, caused by inept driver not resting when knows he's fatigued. And injuries exacerbated by no seat belts. Just like drunk drivers thinking they will defy the odds of causing accident. Idiots, plain and simple.

• Like 1

I just drove along about 12 Km of the Korat by-pass, not far from that accident.

In that 12 Km I counted 23 sets of white paint on the road put there by the police to indicate the vehicle positions after an accident. That means 23 accidents in a 12 KM stretch of dual carriageway over 3 days. Admittedly many of them were probably minor shunts, but it gives you an idea of how bad the driving standards are.

Caused by fatigue. No, caused by inept driver not resting when knows he's fatigued. And injuries exacerbated by no seat belts. Just like drunk drivers thinking they will defy the odds of causing accident. Idiots, plain and simple.

Seat belts were being used, plain and simple.

• Like 1

Seat belts were being used, plain and simple.

Nowhere in this article did I see that seat belts where used, the driver would not have hit the steering wheel if he were wearing one, the neighbors in the back certainly were not and Thais do not wear seat belts, its only Farang coming from western countries that have laws and are made to wear them that do. I agree with Jerojero. Until Thais get it into there heads that seat belts were put in cars to save lives more lives will be lost, and not just the adults, its the kids that I am concerned about, they see Mummy or Daddy not wearing one so they will not wear one and it goes on and on. Well that's my rant, I feel for the kids of Thailand, how are they going to learn.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

In Australia,were long drives are common we have the slogan 'rest,revive,survive',on big signs all along the major roads,it is recomended to rest every two hours,Thailand would do well to implement this system.

Thailand could implement the system but no Thai would adhere to the advice.

Does a Thai adhere to red traffic lights ?

Does a Thai adhere to wearing safety helmet rules ?

Does a Thai adhere to NO U-turn signs ?

Thais do what they want when they want and never take advice, especially safety advice.

In Australia,were long drives are common we have the slogan 'rest,revive,survive',on big signs all along the major roads,it is recomended to rest every two hours,Thailand would do well to implement this system.

Do you suggest cutting down the trees they hit and replacing them with signs?

Seriously, do you think a few signs will make much difference here? They do their best, there are quite a lot of rest stops available, but when you are on the last few km the tendency is to keep going. A more nervous passenger is best who will stay awake, or even share the driving.

What does 'riding shotgun' mean?. Reporters!!!

Haven't you called out SHOTGUN when you wanted to sit in the front to stop your brothers or sisters getting there first.

Nope.

But here is an explanation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riding_shotgun

Thanks. I learn something every day on this forum!. "Two nations divided by a common language" springs to mind. biggrin.png

My late ex Brother in Law used to drive sometimes for 24 hours or so (from Pattaya to Chiang Mai and back again for example ) . The reason given for driving so long without a break was" Thai strong" .

My late ex Brother in Law used to drive sometimes for 24 hours or so (from Pattaya to Chiang Mai and back again for example ) . The reason given for driving so long without a break was" Thai strong" .

The max distance I will drive (in 1 day) is around 500kms and I even prefer to do only half that and stay the night in a nice hotel, so for me to do 1 day Pattaya to Chiang Mai is out of the question (more likely 3-4 days 55555).

But I can understand why Thais do it as they only have a few days holiday and wanna spend most of their time at their home town.

The max distance I will drive (in 1 day) is around 500kms and I even prefer to do only half that and stay the night in a nice hotel, so for me to do 1 day Pattaya to Chiang Mai is out of the question (more likely 3-4 days 55555).

But I can understand why Thais do it as they only have a few days holiday and wanna spend most of their time at their home town.

Agree. I have, on a number of occasions, travelled from Pattaya to SeKa, a distance of around 750 km. But, I've always stopped overnight in KhonKaen (500 kms) going up, and Korat coming back.

Like you, I think 500 km with the degree of concentration you require on Thai roads, is quite sufficient. 500 miles on the UK motorways is tons easier for a myriad of reasons and I would probably complete the 750 in one go - with a number of motorway breaks of course..

The other strong reason is that I want to do it in daylight. Had a clean UK licence for 50 years but am simply not prepared to risk driving at night on the highways, since I had an experience of a sugar cane lorry suddenly looming up in front of me with no lights. Self preservation is the top priority.

• Like 1