Questions about starters and ballast

konisaan

I have no experience in this area. I recently purchased some light fittings, but I need to purchase circular tubes, ballast and starters.

I saw some all in one kits (not that I want to buy one of these) where there was a special ballast that (apparently) didn't require a starter. I don't know if these are any better or worse than those that require a starter.

1. Are there different grades of ballast and starters? If so could someone please recommend a combination that has the longest life and doesn't start buzzing after six months.

2. Do I use the same ballast for 32W and 22W tubes (there is less space for ballast etc in a 22 what light fitting)?

You have to get the right ballast for the tube, starters tend to be 'universal', buying as a kit is the easiest way to get a compatible set of bits.

If you have the budget get electronic ballasts, no starters to fail, use less power, extend tube life. Oh and they don't buzz.

You could also consider going straight to LED, innards for the circular fittings are becoming affordable.

• Like 1

You have to get the right ballast for the tube, starters tend to be 'universal', buying as a kit is the easiest way to get a compatible set of bits.

If you have the budget get electronic ballasts, no starters to fail, use less power, extend tube life. Oh and they don't buzz.

You could also consider going straight to LED, innards for the circular fittings are becoming affordable.

From memory, 'normal' ballast was around 150 baht. How much dearer are electric ones?

Direct to Shop is the online branch of HomePro, you can check stock of any item at your local store before heading there to purchase, no need to buy online if you don't want to.

• Like 1

Myself, I wouldn't recommend electronic ballasts at least in Thailand. We replaced our facilities conventional ballasts with all electronics and the failure rate is much higher. We had one major power glitch that took out nearly a third of them. If you are in a power stable area you may be ok.

• Like 1

Myself, I wouldn't recommend electronic ballasts at least in Thailand. We replaced our facilities conventional ballasts with all electronics and the failure rate is much higher. We had one major power glitch that took out nearly a third of them. If you are in a power stable area you may be ok.

+1

Also, the cheaper electronic ballasts fixtures sold here tend to be unsealed, so can be adversely affected by moisture as well.

On the plus side, electronic florescent fixtures are lighter weight and quick and easy to replace. :(

I have had no problems with electronic ballasts. They are also instant on -- no delay like you get with a transformer ballast.

As for bad luck with them, just don't buy the cheap ones; get a good name brand like Panasonic, etc. I bought some cheap CFL bulbs a few years ago (thinking they were all the same) and they lasted about two months. I replaced them with a Japanese name brand and they have been going strong ever since.

Another thing. A friend just had his TV equipment upgraded to full digital. He was getting interference in the signal. It took him a long time to figure the problem, but it turned out to be electromagnetic interference from transformer ballasts. After he changed them to electronic, the problem disappeared. I know nothing about the technology involved here. I only know, (1) with transformer ballasts on his lighting, he had interference with his digital TV, and (2) changing to electronic ballasts cured the problem.

Finally, you can get some protection against power spikes (not a direct lightning strike) by installing a whole house surge protector like the Schneider QO-SPD-225, which just pops into your Schneider panel. Given the fact that practically everything contains electronics these days, some sort of protection is a good idea.

• 4 years later...

Sorry to tag onto an old thread, we have 1 bedroom without light now, I tried a new circular tube and blue starter but still off so I am guessing its the ballast.

Are their better quality ballast worth driving further for or nowadays much of the same?

Many thanks.

Edited by james.d

7 hours ago, james.d said:

Sorry to tag onto an old thread, we have 1 bedroom without light now, I tried a new circular tube and blue starter but still off so I am guessing its the ballast.

Are their better quality ballast worth driving further for or nowadays much of the same?

Many thanks.

There are better ballasts, as has already been said if you read the thread, but do make sure that you have power to the unit as it could be the cable that has been damaged.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1