Was Immigration Officer correct re Double Entry Tourist visa problem?

There's been a lot of swerving going on here. No one has (and probably will) be able to answer my question: Why wasnt the OP's enter before date 14 April 2015. His visa was issued on the 13 January 2015. See post #13 if anyone missed the question too busy telling others to read the OP's post.

The website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs has the answer to your question.

2. Tourist Visa

4. VALIDITY OF A VISA
The validity of a visa is 3 months or 6 months.

Source: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15398-Issuance-of-Visa.html

I just checked my own and with an issue date of 25th March and enter before date 24 June using the above and including entry and issuing date is 92 days so perhaps some consulates do provide that extra allowance. This was from Vientiane.

I checked the double entry tourist visa I got in Vientiane last year

It is also 92 days.

Very reasonable of them. thumbsup.gif

As Maestro posted a visa's vanity is in months not days. A tourist 2 entry tourist visa from Laos is valid for 3 months from the date of issue.

Regardless of what the website says, the validity of my last double entry tourist visa from Vientienne was exactly 92 days. As was the case with Gilo's.

The validity of the OP's was exactly 90 days.

As Maestro posted a visa's vanity is in months not days. A tourist 2 entry tourist visa from Laos is valid for 3 months from the date of issue.

Regardless of what the website says, the validity of my last double entry tourist visa from Vientienne was exactly 92 days. As was the case with Gilo's.

The validity of the OP's was exactly 90 days.

From OP.

I obtained a Double entry Tourist visa from Laos, issued 13 Jan 2015.

On my visa sticker in my passport there is a category entitled 'Enter before'.

It's dated 12 April 2015.

That is 3 months. It is also 90 days because February only had 28 days in it.

Gilo

I just checked my own and with an issue date of 25th March and enter before date 24 June using the above and including entry and issuing date is 92 days so perhaps some consulates do provide that extra allowance.

That is also 3 months.

It's still a stupid rule. A stupid thing that is easily knowable does not become less stupid.

In what way is it stupid? You get a visa that has a limited life, just as do visas issued by every country in the world, and when it's expired it can no longer be used. He's still got a 30 day entry extendable by another 30 days.

In most cases involving visa entries, you have to check the date by which the visa must be used and the date your permission to stay ends. Not rocket science and if you're unsure about the implications, ask (or do a search) on TV or ask at immigrations. There may at times be language issues (at either source) but most of the straight-forward & basic issues produce pretty straight-forward answers.

If you buy medicine with a use by date, do you think that applies only to the first tablet or capsule and that the rest can be taken whenever you feel like it?

I guess I'm going to have spell it out for you.

It's stupid because one entry + extension = 90 days and unless you use it the same day it was issued and then turn around go back the second entry is useless. The issue is not that it has a validity - it is that the length of that validity. That clear enough for you? Sorry it doesn't figure into your 'every rule is reasonable because everywhere has rules' delusion.

Edited by BudRight

Sometimes you do stupid things because you really don't think about it. I got caught because I figured i had until the same day 2 months later instead of counting 60 days. Didn't blame anyone but myself because my mind was on vacation.

It's still a stupid rule. A stupid thing that is easily knowable does not become less stupid.

In what way is it stupid? You get a visa that has a limited life, just as do visas issued by every country in the world, and when it's expired it can no longer be used. He's still got a 30 day entry extendable by another 30 days.

In most cases involving visa entries, you have to check the date by which the visa must be used and the date your permission to stay ends. Not rocket science and if you're unsure about the implications, ask (or do a search) on TV or ask at immigrations. There may at times be language issues (at either source) but most of the straight-forward & basic issues produce pretty straight-forward answers.

If you buy medicine with a use by date, do you think that applies only to the first tablet or capsule and that the rest can be taken whenever you feel like it?

I guess I'm going to have spell it out for you.

It's stupid because one entry + extension = 90 days and unless you use it the same day it was issued and then turn around go back the second entry is useless. The issue is not that it has a validity - it is that the length of that validity. That clear enough for you? Sorry it doesn't figure into your 'every rule is reasonable because everywhere has rules' delusion.

Not everyone needs, or wants, to push their stay to the exact date. Stupid, is not understanding what is in your passport, and not asking questions before hand.

Thank you BudRight..........

that was kinda my original gripe. I felt I did nothing wrong. They should give more leeway with the "Enter before' date. Even two or three days.

We cannot all be experts here.

Many Consulates do use similar wording, but it doesn't make any difference to those that are ignorant of the procedure.

As noted several times already, you don't have to be an expert, just follow the advice of those, that are. This same situation gets mentioned on a regular basis, and people are cautioned to make their entry before those dates.

Unfortunately for you, you couldn't be bothered to ask questions before it became an issue. If you want to learn something, perhaps you should spend a little more time reading, instead of whining about a system that seems to work just fine for millions every year.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

that was kinda my original gripe. I felt I did nothing wrong. They should give more leeway with the "Enter before' date. Even two or three days.

Many Consulates do use similar wording, but it doesn't make any difference to those that are ignorant of the procedure.

As noted several times already, you don't have to be an expert, just follow the advice of those, that are. This same situation gets mentioned on a regular basis, and people are cautioned to make their entry before those dates.

Unfortunately for you, you couldn't be bothered to ask questions before it became an issue. If you want to learn something, perhaps you should spend a little more time reading, instead of whining about a system that seems to work just fine for millions every year.

Exactly but what is so difficult to understand about the words "Enter Before" ?

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Exactly but what is so difficult to understand about the words "Enter Before" ?

Literally........I did enter before.

Gotta love ThaiVisa......

It's a 50/50 percent split between really helpful folks and utter <deleted>.

Just gotta separate the wheat from the chaff.

Thanks to all the former.......I won't make the same mistake again. Ta.

I like it. You've asked a question that's already been answered dozens of times before. As a matter of fact, there was a post from 4-12-2015, only that guy asked, before it was problem. You couldn't be bothered to look at current posts, you couldn't be bothered to use the Search Function, you couldn't be bothered to read the Pinned Topics Section, yet you seem to think it's our fault you made a silly mistake.

• Like 2

To save starting a new topic, I've a related question.

I have a triple entry tourist visa issued from UK.

Now I know that the Enter Before Date is the latest date I can enter on my 3rd entry if I want it to be used.

But the last time I did a visa run the guy at the visa run company when looking at my passport said that after my 2nd entry was up I had to decide whether I wanted to do a 30 day extension at immigration OR a visa run, One or the other.

I'm fairly sure I can do both. The dates don't work out that I'll get the full 30 days because of the "enter before date" deadline but I'll still get a good 23 or 24 days from it which to me is worth the 1,900B extension fee. And I'd rather not lose out on that time.

Am I missing something?

Is there any reason why I can't go get an extension at immigration for 30 days...use 23 of them then do a border run before the "enter before date" to activate entry 3?

Thanks

P.S.

Hope that makes sense.

To the OP: I made visa mistakes that seem stupid in hindsight twice, the first costing money and time and the second just money (applying for double entry when I could only use one entry).

Count yourself lucky immigration officer didn't ask for proof of onward travel when he issued you 30 days visa exemption.

I, too, never managed to get the full time out of visa and extension. For triple entry, it's entry, 60+30, visa run, 60, visa run, 60+30, exit; and the rest spent traveling in other countries or waiting for the visa while in my home country (apply 3 weeks before flight to Thailand).

Edited by ChristianPFC
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

Not sure how long you have been in Thailand Beechguy, certainly where ever you have been has made you very grumpy.

Just checked the wording on my visa issued by the Thai Consul, Auckland, New Zealand and he used the wording " Must be utilised by..." They do not all use the same terminology or even the same rules.

If you knock around the region a bit you will find not everything is logical or the same.

Certainly border crossings can be a vastly differing experience arriving in Thailand, some give a lot of leeway and others don;t. It all depends. I have never been caught out here but can understand and sympathise with those who do.