Updating from Android 4.4.2 to 5....how?

a1falang

>I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 with True. I'm not tech savvy. How to get this new update?

If you want to go legit route, recommended for non tech savvy, simply go to the phones settings menu, about device and system updates. If there is one (unlikely?) then it will allow you to do so over the air (OTA).

Update appeared on my Z1 - but it says I need to use a computer? Went to the Sony site and there's nothing on how to use a computer to upgrade the system.

You're not good at Google are you.

biggrin.png

http://support.sonymobile.com/gb/xperiaz1/software/

Doh! Thanks!

I updated to Lollipop using the laptop - took about 45 minutes with typical Thai internet speeds.

I only updated as I wanted a simple way to move Apps to the SD card to free up internal memory (not easy with Kitkat 4.4) - but my first impressions of Android 5 are not too good. Icons have gone big, Xperia keyboard has lost it's vibrate, and the quick menu does not have the option to switch the ringer to vibrate.

There may be ways to fix these small issues - but I can't see them yet.

But I can now free up phone memory now.

Update appeared on my Z1 - but it says I need to use a computer? Went to the Sony site and there's nothing on how to use a computer to upgrade the system.

biggrin.png

Doh! Thanks!

I updated to Lollipop using the laptop - took about 45 minutes with typical Thai internet speeds.

I only updated as I wanted a simple way to move Apps to the SD card to free up internal memory (not easy with Kitkat 4.4) - but my first impressions of Android 5 are not too good. Icons have gone big, Xperia keyboard has lost it's vibrate, and the quick menu does not have the option to switch the ringer to vibrate.

Moving apps to SD card in kitkat can be easily fixed by either an app from playstore, or simply add a permission in the platform.xml

biggrin.png

Doh! Thanks!

Moving apps to SD card in kitkat can be easily fixed by either an app from playstore, or simply add a permission in the platform.xml

Now you tell me! :-)

I've fixed the keyboard vibrate (in keyboard setting and not in Sound and Vibration where I was looking) and muting the ringer is now on the volume control .... but I seem to be stuck with the huge icons.

Any suggestions on which Play Store apps you tried for SD transfer? What is the "platform.xml?

I've had a really difficult time trying to transfer photo's from phone memory to SD. Can do one at a time but hard to do folders or batches,

Asus Zenphone-5, Android 4.4.2

Any suggestions on which Play Store apps you tried for SD transfer? What is the "platform.xml?

I've had a really difficult time trying to transfer photo's from phone memory to SD. Can do one at a time but hard to do folders or batches,

Asus Zenphone-5, Android 4.4.2

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nextapp.sdfix

But you need to root your phone, which can be easily done without losing warranty with Towelroot if you have a Samsung, but I don't know how it works for a Zenphone.

To edit an xml file you also need root.

• 2 weeks later...

My once fast Sony Z1 is now running like a cheap entry level phone with delays before every screen since updating to 5. Even the (now very large) icons in the home screen take time to appear one at a time.

Several simple steps from 4 have now become multi-step processes too. Do not upgrade if productivity and efficiency are important to you.