Thai govt 'willing' to work with new US ambassador

webfact

Junta 'Willing' to Work With New U.S. Ambassador
By Khaosod English

Glyn_Davies_140.jpg
Glyn Davies (photo from website of the US Department of State)

BANGKOK - The Thai government is looking forward to cooperation with the newly-nominated American ambassador, a spokesperson says.

United States President Barack Obama nominated Glyn Davies, the former US special representative for North Korea, as the new ambassador to Thailand over the weekend. His formal appointment is pending an approval by the US Congress.

Davies' nomination follows a six-month vacancy in the post of US ambassador to the Kingdom. The former ambassador, Kristie Kenney, left the position in November, and the US diplomatic mission in Bangkok has been led by charge d'affaires W. Patrick Murphy.

Speaking at a press conference yesterday, Maj.Gen. Kongcheep Tantrawanich, a spokesperson of the Ministry of Defense, said he has been informed about Davies' nomination and told reporters that, if Davies is formally appointed, Thailand is willing to work with the new ambassador "for the sake of peace in the country and stability in the region."

"I insist that our government has a willingness to cooperate with every nation. We do not have bias against anyone," said Maj.Gen. Kongcheep, "Thailand is currently going through an important transition. The Ministry of Defense is working under the policy of the government and upholding interest of the nation as our basis."

Thailand has long been a major ally of the United States in the Asia-Pacific region, though the US government has scaled back diplomatic ties with Thailand following the military coup d'etat that toppled an elected government on 22 May 2014.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1429080377

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-04-15

"The Ministry of Defense is working under the policy of the government and upholding interest of the nation as our basis."

General Prawit Wongsuwan is the Chairman of the Board of Consultamts for the NCPO, Deputy Prime Minister for Security Affairs, and Defense Minister who was appointed by General Prayut, Chief of the NCPO and PM.

Prawit working under the policy of the Junta-led government is a foregone conclusion. Whether he upholds the interest of the nation or just the Junta is another matter.

Thai govt 'willing' to work with new US ambassador

What a relief for the US!!
The world power Thailand is offering its cooperation.............coffee1.gif

Thailand is willing to work with the new ambassador "for the sake of peace in the country and stability in the region.

Now, isn't that extraordinary generous- especially in view of all available alternatives?

• Like 2

The most interesting part is the message: 'Glyn Davies, the former US special representative for North Korea'.

clap2.gifclap2.gif you beat me to it

edit typo, you would think with a five word reply I would not be necessary, but if you did you would be wronglaugh.png

Edited by sirineou

Here is the million dollar question. Did they nominate Davies because of his knowledge of the diplomatic wheel used to talk with N. Korea? If so, they are comparing Thailand's gov to N. Koreas gov!

Which everyone in Thailand knows is not accurate as a comparison to assign this guy Davies! Right????

Here is the million dollar question. Did they nominate Davies because of his knowledge of the diplomatic wheel used to talk with N. Korea? If so, they are comparing Thailand's gov to N. Koreas gov!

Which everyone in Thailand knows is not accurate as a comparison to assign this guy Davies! Right????

Nah! Davies has been moved to an inactive post 'cause nobody wanted to talk to him in N. Korea.

• Like 1

Or maybe he was in line for a move?

Might be subject to the minute machinations you'd like it to be. Comparing the current Thai government to the family dynasty despotic rule in North Korea is stupid.

Hmmm, family despotic dynasties............. rings a bell?

With all that is going on in the world, when Obama gets his briefing on Thailand, I doubt if it's more than an occasional sentence or two. The US has moved on from Thailand. Vietnam, the Philippines, and Japan will always be reliably anti-Chinese. They're preferred allies. Thailand is an unreliable, political swamp. US policymakers probably just want to distance themselves as much as possible from the place. And putting this diplomatic time server in as ambassador just might be a clear signal of it.

Agreed, Thailand was so four decades ago. Cambodia and Vietnam are far more interesting places for investment and there none of this "we are special" nonsense or we are "reforming". Thailand is not a priority.

With all that is going on in the world, when Obama gets his briefing on Thailand, I doubt if it's more than an occasional sentence or two. The US has moved on from Thailand. Vietnam, the Philippines, and Japan will always be reliably anti-Chinese. They're preferred allies. Thailand is an unreliable, political swamp. US policymakers probably just want to distance themselves as much as possible from the place. And putting this diplomatic time server in as ambassador just might be a clear signal of it.

Exactly right. I have said that time and time again, that the US simply no longer

has any interest in Thailand. It has proven itself time and time again to be the

ultimate fair weather friend. The fact that the US left the ambassador position

open for 6 months was simply a fart in the face of Thailand . If the the ambassador

to Germany stepped down, do you think the position would be open for 6 months ??

For this area , the shift will be to Vietnam. They hate the Chinese, and are looking

for help to counter China's attempt to take over the South China Sea.

• Like 2

Driving a wedge between long time friends and sucking up to a country that you know full well is viewed with suspicion of it's intentions military wise , by your long term partner and trading partner is not what I would call willing to work, indeed a it could be construed as a snub to your old friend, just because you the country of Thailand wants to turn a blind eye to people trafficking , animal trade , international labour rules, kiddie sex trade, Ivory trade and a to a list as long as your arm , all you are doing is digging yourself into one big hole in the direction you are taking, at least choosing out of the two countries concerned , one has some moral values, then again birds of feather flock together.coffee1.gif

I chuckle at how thin skinned Thais are to any perceived slight, especially, it seems, by the U.S. Do they really expect the U.S. to say well done and great job concerning the coup and its continuing implications?

I remember reading an article a number of years ago concerning someone who was very concerned what everyone was thinking of him/her. The truth is that he/she would probably be surprised at how little we actually are thinking of them, or in this case, a country.

Perhaps if Thais would spend more time on improving and fixing, rather than attacking those who disagree with them, this country could progress and evolve into a more meaningful world role.

I don't see that happening in my lifetime.

And in regards to the ambassadorship - it is merely a required position in a minor country - I see no secret messages via the person nominated for the position. If and when the current nominee gets approved by the senate, life will go on.

Edited by SpokaneAl
  • Like 2

He is just an ambassdor Nothing more nothing less. it's not like he has any real power over US foreign affairs. His job is to manage embassy personnel and maybe pass on messages to heads of state is all. Oh if he see's a need in country he is working in with permission from host country he can submit it .

• Like 1

What has been failed to be mentioned here so far is that there is a breach of culture that the Americans and their western counterparts can't seem to fathom. Should I list a name of countries where they and their allies have got it wrong? It has been since the aftermath of WW2 ; the rebuilding of Western Germany and Japan which have both come to be and have long been major economic players on the stage of the world, that American foreign policy seems to have worked; however, that policy was all based upon the evil communist threat from the Russians and the Chinese: not on human rights or democracy. The American government simply doesn't give a rat's ass about anyone's other than its own. I am an American by the way and I have had nothing but disdain for their foreign policiy for about as long as I can remember.

I agree on US policy since WW2 - it's a mess and is in a very large part responsible for the dreadful place Thailand finds itself in mid 2015 (and the thoroughly broken Thai military who have been supported over and over in their often vicious rampages against the Thai people).

However, the elephant in the room this time, which you seem to miss, is that the disdain for the Thai junta beyond Thai borders this time seems to be almost universal - only Russia, China and North Korea are smiling. And that's a major whoops ...

Add to that pretty much offshore every media outlet - left, right and centrist - that has written about ThaI politics in the past year has agreed with the distain. Hell, they poke fun at the intellectual capacity of dear leader almost every week - and increasingly much of the Thai media seems to be doing the same now, although it seems to slip past, somewhat over his head.

Still, maybe the rest of the world - excepting China, Russia and North Korea - have got it wrong, and you and the man The Guardian calls a "twerp" have got it right. Anything is possible.

"...Thailand is willing to work with the new ambassador "for the sake of peace in the country and stability in the region..."

What a disingenuous statement. Thailand isn't interested in anything the US has to say unless they say, "we accept your military take-over and continued governance of Thailand and we believe everything you say about article 44 and that the election will be soon". The US isn't going to say any of that and I'd be surprised if there was any publicly announced meetings between the ambassador and Prayuth.

Every country in the world has the right to accept or reject ambassadors from other countries, the USA and Thailand included.

I would think his posting to Thailand has as much to do with North Korea as it has to do with his position before that as Permanent Representative to the International Atomic Energy Agency. In other words, nothing.

He is a seasoned diplomat.

• Like 1

This word "willing" seems to have been cherry picked and dropped into the headline to get our attention, and perpetuate the characterization of an aloof Junta, seemingly giving its approval of this nomination from their self-appointed seat of ill-gotten power.

When I read the source article, however, the only full, direct quote from the Minster using the word willing is: "I insist that our government is willing to cooperate with every nation. We do not have bias against anyone," said Maj.Gen. Kongcheep Tantrawanich.

So, this word "willing" was extracted and appears to have been used (twice) in a dishonest way, in order to create or perpetuate another meaning. Why would Khaosod English do this? rolleyes.gif